Seiko's 2011 New releases - NEW PICTURES & INFO
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Seiko's 2011 New releases - NEW PICTURES & INFO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Inactive

Seiko's 2011 New releases - NEW PICTURES & INFO

As some of you may know, all the guys here at www.AZFineTime.com just returned back from a brief trip to Las Vegas for the JCK watch and jewelry show. We go strictly for the watches, and this year, we came prepared and ready to take some pictures to share.

Our 1st visit, after flying in, was with Seiko. Seiko had some great releases for their 130th Anniversary this year and we were some of the 1st in the country to put them on our wrists.

SEIKO2011-1 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

SEIKO2011-2 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The Grand Seiko 130th Anniversary models are to be released this year, most likely in October. We were presented with all 3 new models and also the original 1960's Grand Seiko release that was flown in from the Seiko Institute of Horology in Japan.

SEIKO2011-3 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This is model SBGW039 which is a Platinum case. They will only be making 130 of these and only one or two will come to the US. AZ Fine Time will be one of the 1st to receive them. US retail is going to be $25,000.

SEIKO2011-4 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This is the SBGW040 which is 18kt Yellow Gold. This is also 130 count production and very few are coming to the US. US retail is going to be $16,500.

SEIKO2011-5 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This is the original Grand Seiko model. As you can see, the new model is very close to an exact replica. The biggest difference is in the movement. Though, like the original, is a hand wound movement, the advances of Seiko's technology have made this piece one of the highest quality mechanical movements out there today.

SEIKO2011-6 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The 9S64 movement found inside the new SBGW033, 039, and 040 uses Seiko's in-house developed alloy SPRON 510 for the mainspring, which gives it a 72 hour power reserve. An extra day compared to most other watches using only one barrel.

SEIKO2011-7 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The other incredible alloy used in this movement is the newer SPRON 610, which is used for the balance spring in the escapement. This is also one of the leading alloys in the industry due to its strength, shock resistance and anti-magnetic traits.

SEIKO2011-8 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

There is another piece of magic that contributes to the beauty in this movement. The newly engineered escapement gear and pallet that are made using MEMS (Micro Electro Mechanical System) technology. This allows Seiko to create stronger, smoother gears and also allows lubricants to be distributed throughout a longer course of time. Obviously, making for less maintenance.

SEIKO2011-9 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The sides of the cases in all steel, gold, and platinum are finished using Zaratsu "blade" polishing method. This is traditionally used on Katana blades that give it a pure mirror finish. It is incredibly labor intensive and time consuming.

SEIKO2011-10 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The domed sapphire crystals on these limited editions are also very unique. They use a high definition crystal, which was developed by Seiko, that gives it a pure clarity unlike any other and is covered in anti-reflective coating to contribute to its quality.

SEIKO2011-33 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This stainless steel version (SBGW033) will be a limited edition of 1,300. It will still be very tough to find. It is rumored only around 10 will come to the US. US retail is going to be $6,500.

SEIKO2011-35 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The piece below definitely got my attention. It is only 44mm, but its built like a tank.

SEIKO2011-37 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This is the Seiko Ananta 130th Anniversary Diver limited edition. They will be only making 700 units of this piece. I highly suggest checking out this watch after it is released. Its feel is very different from the rest of the Ananta line, it's look is also very different. I was expecting the case design to be more similar to the Brightz Phoenix series, but was truly surprised. The only thing that gives it that look is the crown protector. Otherwise, it is something completely new that is thick and hefty.

SEIKO2011-36 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The movement is a new 8R39, which is very similar to it predecessor the 8R28, yet it uses the new SPRON 610 (I mentioned earlier) alloy for the balance spring. A perfect compliment for diving.

SEIKO2011-38 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

All 700 of the dials are hand lacquered by renowned Japanese lacquer artist Isshu Tamura. They look unbelievable in person. The term "black as lacquer" is true in this piece. The dial is such a true jet black, it makes the hands and indexes seem as if they are floating over a bottomless pit. I was very impressed.

SEIKO2011-39 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

SEIKO2011-15 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The black coating process is finished beautifully on this piece. You can easily tell its quality by the feel. Seiko uses an in house process similar to a PVD coating, but it is supposed to be a higher quality application. Unfortunately there is not much info available on the process, probably for a good reason.

SEIKO2011-16 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

They also use the Zaratsu polishing, even with the black treatment. It gives the piece a truly unique look, that is very hard to explain.

SEIKO2011-17 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

SEIKO2011-18 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The retail on this piece is $4,700 and should be arriving in October.

SEIKO2011-19 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

Below is a look at SPB021...

SEIKO2011-11 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This piece was incredibly impressive also. It uses the same 6R21 movement found in SPB017 & 19 and is at a great price point of $2,100 (the same price)

SEIKO2011-12 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This case design is definitely more reminiscent of the Brightz Phoenix line, but still does have the attributes of the Ananta.

SEIKO2011-13 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

Also, I love the red tipped second hand.

SEIKO2011-23 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

SEIKO2011-22 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The next piece is the SRQ011. This model uses the same 8R28 movement found in the other SRQ models. They did a great job with the design on this piece and the movement is spectacular. US retail is going to be $3,200. The same price as other SRQ models.

SEIKO2011-20 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

SEIKO2011-21 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This next piece was definitely a very exciting addition to Ananta this year. This model is actually a Japanese Domestic Market Limited Edition of 1,000 pieces, but somehow Arizona Fine Time was allowed to bring in 5 of these very exclusive model.

SEIKO2011-30 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This Ananta is model SPB023. It uses the 6R21 movement as found in the other Ananta Multi-Hand Autos, which displays day, date and power reserve.

SEIKO2011-31 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The biggest difference is in the design. One of Japan's most renowned industrial designers, Naoki Sakai, headed this project and designed this very limited JDM piece. Sakai was born in 1947 and grew up in Kyoto. He attended International Design School and also Kyoto City University of Arts. His claim to recognition was when he came to the US in 1969 and established "Tattoo Company". He sold T-shirts of Japanese tattoo designs and was making near $300,000 a MONTH!

NaokiSakai by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

Sakai went on to establish "Water Studio" (which he still leads today) his design studio. Some other items on his profile include designing the Nissan "Be-1" in 1987 and his camera, the O-product for Olympus in 1988. He has even done some concept design for Seiko in the past. I can say that personally, I think he did a tremendous job with the design. I didn't want to take the watch off of my wrist.

SEIKO2011-32 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

As you can see, the piece is a partial skeleton and has an extremely over-sized sapphire crystal case back to display the movement as if it were floating in the case.

SEIKO2011-29 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

It is on a unique (almost rubber feeling) calf black strap with a deployment clasp.

SEIKO2011-28 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The case design is completely new for this model. All elements of design were unique in Sakai's work.

SEIKO2011-27 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This prototype was flown in from Japan just for us to see. They are supposed to be in our store within the next 2 months.

SEIKO2011-26 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

This uses the same black coating process as on the SRQ013. Retail is going to be $2,800 for this model.

SEIKO2011-25 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

As I mentioned, this piece is an exclusive for Citizen Signature : Seiko Ananta Spring Drive : Grand Seiko : Arizona Fine Time in the US, otherwise only available in Japan. It is a great honor for us to receive a special edition piece like this and I know that they will be gone quick. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

SEIKO2011-24 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

The piece below is Seiko's new Sportura Kinectic Diver. For $550 retail it is a tremendous value and should be a very hot item. I am really looking forward to this model as well.

SEIKO2011-40 by JoeAZFT, on Flickr

Over all, Seiko had a tremendous amount of amazing pieces this year (as usual). Hopefully most of these items will be in stock by October or sooner. When they do arrive, I'm sure I'll be sharing pics with everyone here on the forum.

I hope you all enjoyed. Stay on the look out for my next post regarding the highly anticipated Citizen Satellite Wave (Appleseed XIII).

Please let me know if I can ever be any help to anyone. Don't forget to visit www.AZFineTime.com to see all the updated products!

Thank you,

Joe
    Last edited by -JoeK-; June 9th, 2011 at 00:23.

Re: Seiko's 2011 New releases - NEW PICTURES & INFO

Wow - thanks Joe! I look forward to all these posts - you do such a great job covering these exclusives. Thanks!!!
    Borealis Adraga, Navale
    Citizen AQ4020-03E
    GMW-B5000D/TFC, GWF-D1000NV, MRG-G1000D
    IW378401, IW356501
    MKII x HALO Airborne, PMWF Graywater GMT
    Obris Morgan SeaStar PVD
    Oris Carl Brashear Bronze, Bronze Chrono
    VDB No Limit Bronze
    SBDX013, SBGA001
    116610LV, 116520

Suspended

Awesome pieces.

Can I have your job, Joe?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is some serious drool material! Thanks Joe!

Whats the difference between 6r20 and 6r21?
    Seiko SBDX001
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SBGH005

The dials on the dress watches look so much cleaner with just the "Grand Seiko" brand.
    Those are some beautiful pieces....

Again more cool stuff you show us Joe.
    Beautiful GS 130th pieces.
    That SPB023 skeleton inspired is cool.
    But did you notice the crown stem is off alignment? Am I seeing things in the display back pic?
    Ananta chrono is awesome.

Any sighting of the bluefin tuna?

Thanks, for sharing these gems.

Great coverage, Joe!
    Really appreciated the read, and thanks for causing a brain-damage drool.
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

Ok, its bugging me. But isn't this crown stem off?
    Its missed its mark and way off alignment out of the mov't me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkfin View Post
    Ok, its bugging me. But isn't this crown stem off?
    Its missed its mark and way off alignment out of the mov't me thinks.

I've just noticed that..
    It's really weird. I'd like to know the answer.

cheers.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information