Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial - Page 3
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Well - my wrists are over 8.5" so this wears quite small for me ;) it aint perfect - and its not my daily beater (My Emperors are) but I come from wearing a Rolex Deepsea for 9years as a daily and that was unstable, top heavy and would wobble. I could stop that some by tightening up the brilliant Rolex adjustable bracelet clasp, but it was never right. The SLA025 is more comfortable and more balanced on my wrist and because I have quite flat rather than rounded wrists it sits well and stable. I think it needed a 20-22mm lug width, so a wider band, for stability (the 19mm may be historical but it is bizarre and wrong for the weight/size of the head IMHO). I also think I would have made the bezel spring system more firm and positive, it is light and smooth with 120 clicks, but too easily knocked off alignment for my OCD.

One thing I like most about it is the clarity of the dial - the proportions of hand to indices to bezel to case. It seems to have achieved perfect form. The main task of a watch is to tell time - but many watches, especially dive watches, have the actual size of dial as too small a percentage of the overall head. The most obvious being the classic GShock Frog where the space given to actual telling the time is a few tiny numbers on the middle left of a massive dial/case. Reading the time on the SLA025 is instant due to clarity and proportion. It just pops.

Attachment 13912243
    Looks like the size of my ankle...perhaps I understood how to wear these nice but large watches.
    Simon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
    Agree with your assessments - the dial IS perfectly proportioned and one of my favorite aspects of the watch as well

/OFF TOPIC
    Re. Deepsea - I am willing to bet the 2nd Gen (126660?) would fare better in that regard, thanks to the changes to lugs / bracelet width. My 126600 SD is perfect in that regard; yes, there's some mvmt (as with most divers on bracelets) but it's minimal and it's not apparent when in use. It's by far my best "diver" and would be one of the last to go should I ever need to think out my humble collection... !
    Yes, with the Gen2 Deepsea Rolex has responded to owners comments and the modest move to 22mm from 21 has helped both in terms of balance and aesthetics. It is still such a heavy watch though and the architecture with the "Original gas escape valve" lettering is ultimately intrusive and compromises the dial. I just fell out of love with mine - and the £1000 service made me balk. However, the SD 126600 is perfect and I would love to own one. Even the cyclops is an appeal to me with fading eyes - the size is perfect - and the red lettering a wonderful historic nod. I love it. Only seen one on someone I met randomly and we had a great chat about watches. He paid well over MRP though. I actually asked my AD to put me on the waiting list for it but he rather dismissed my request as if to say - you'll never get one! probably right.

The SLA025 is certainly not the one watch I would keep - that would be my Darth Emperor for lots of reasons - but if I had a new SD - it could well be the one and only.
    Travelller likes this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Cuthbert - I have had the opposite issue - I have always wanted a classic Rolex Explorer, GMT or Sub or SD and back in the day when you could find them readily at ADs or used, I tried several - but at 39mm they got lost in the meat. When the Deepsea 1st came out and was not absurdly expensive, I thought "at last a Rolex I can wear". But as above, there were issues. The new Red SD has resolved them and I'd love that - problem is cant find and probably couldnt afford one now
    Travelller likes this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

. So here’s something I just recently did which makes the SLA 025 wear a bit more balanced. I took the rubber strap of an older MM 300 and shaved a half mm on both sides of the ends to fit the 19 mm opening. Now it fits more like a 21-22 mm strap, and quite frankly more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Travelller likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by txkill View Post
    ...I took the rubber strap of an older MM 300 and shaved a half mm on both sides of the ends to fit the 19 mm opening. Now it fits more like a 21-22 mm strap, and quite frankly more comfortable...
    Not a bad idea at all It would be hard to do to get a professional finish; rubber doesn't like to be cut with conventional tools, I suppose. A Dremel, maybe...?

I'm still trying to figure out what Seiko had in mind, given the mysterious case cut-out between the lugs...

Not a bad idea at all It would be hard to do to get a professional finish; rubber doesn't like to be cut with conventional tools, I suppose. A Dremel, maybe...?

I'm still trying to figure out what Seiko had in mind, given the mysterious case cut-out between the lugs...

Sla017 bracalet maybe fit...

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
    Travelller likes this.

Stunning! Fantastic post.
    Travelller likes this.

...I'm still trying to figure out what Seiko had in mind, given the mysterious case cut-out between the lugs...
    Quote Originally Posted by HusabergAngola79 View Post
    Sla017 bracelet maybe fit...
    You know what, you just may be onto something...

I never considered using it - I'm very happy with the waffle strap (and I just ordered an Uncle-Seiko tropical) but the geometry looks like it might line up...

I really enjoy reading your wonderful topic. A phenomenal post! Respect bro !!!!

..At the same time, I was a bit disappointed and in disbelief what was going on. To me, as a Seikoholic, it's completely devastating, especially in that class of watch .

..MM300 I never considered because of its no comfort on my wrist, but I like to see these watch models.

From the previous positive experiences with Seiko , I sincerely hope and believe, that Seiko will come to the maximum to solve this problem and ugly part of the story.

Послато са Nexus 7 уз помоћ Тапатока
    Travelller likes this.

I would love to see if it does fit (anyone?) - I would instantly buy this bracelet if it did - I feel my SLA025 needs a bracelet

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information