Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial - Page 5
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58
  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3

    Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

    Putting this watch asside, you have some serious photographing skills. I'm Impressed.
    Slm643 and Travelller like this.

  2. #42
    Member Travelller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    VIE
    Posts
    2,041

    Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexC1202 View Post
    ...you have some serious photographing skills. I'm Impressed.
    Many thanks - much appreciated


  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    276

    Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

    Thanks for the insight into how bad QA really is at Seiko, even at the high end range. Great designs sure, but their supposed commitment to tight tolerances, high standards and fine engineering really goes out the window with such responses. It's really no surprise then that SKXs, turtles and sumos can come with misaligned chapter rings and the company's response to this issue is zilch.

    Great designs sure, but what a shame. I'll be happy to buy their 4R and 6R watches, but that's it. Ironic how, coming from their home country, their highest value add is in design rather than fine engineering that their home country is known for.

    I hope this doesn't take anything away from your appreciation of your SLA. When it's all said and done though, how does it compare to the finishing of your other watches, Traveller? I notice you've got Rolex's and Omegas as well?
    Last edited by Estilo; May 19th, 2019 at 08:22.
    Travelller likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Angola África
    Posts
    68

    Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

    Quote Originally Posted by Estilo View Post
    Thanks for the insight into how bad QA really is at Seiko, even at the high end range. Great designs sure, but their supposed commitment to tight tolerances, high standards and fine engineering really goes out the window with such responses. It's really no surprise then that SKXs, turtles and sumos can come with misaligned chapter rings and the company's response to this issue is zilch.

    Great designs sure, but what a shame. I'll be happy to buy their 4R and 6R watches, but that's it. Ironic how, coming from their home country, their highest value add is in design rather than fine engineering that their home country is known for.

    I hope this doesn't take anything away from your appreciation of your SLA. When it's all said and done though, how does it compare to the finishing of your other watches, Traveller? I notice you've got Rolex's and Omegas as well?

    Rolex....



    Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
    Travelller and travisbest like this.

  6. #45
    Member Travelller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    VIE
    Posts
    2,041

    Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

    Quote Originally Posted by Estilo View Post
    Thanks for the insight into how bad QA really is at Seiko, even at the high end range. Great designs sure, but their supposed commitment to tight tolerances, high standards and fine engineering really goes out the window with such responses. ... how does it compare to the finishing of your other watches, Traveller? I notice you've got Rolex's and Omegas as well?
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts To recap my sentiments (for everyone else), I accepted the fact that their Q&A missed the issue(s) but it is their response and acceptance of such poor tolerances that really upset me.

    A fellow member got the same feedback with his Grand Seiko (!) which surprised me even more (being a "true" GS). So when this other member sent in his GS for similar reasons, we were all assuming Seiko would respond in a similar manner. To everyone's surprise and delight, they accepted the fact that the issue with his minute-hand was not within their Q&A tolerances and promptly replaced the hand(s).

    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f642/f...s-4854031.html

    So... hard to say anymore what's what. Is it a question of his Regional Service center vs. Tokyo's? The AD's pull & insistence? Or maybe in my case (mostly dust) it was deemed ok and in his case (corrosion?) not...

    ~~~

    As for my current outlook; I can't see the dust / lume-bleed when I look at it so it's not a "real-world" issue and I don't think about it anymore. I've also ordered the 2019 SLA033. After all, my SLA017 was perfect (enough), ditto for my GS.

    Regarding my other watches; all have a handful of dust specs or even some slight defect with a single hour-marker or what-have-you. This is the reason why many WIS recommend not using a loupe, much less a HQ macro lens to "inspect" your watches... lol. However, my SLA025 is by far the worst I've seen and the reason why I was 100% certain it was a freak accident and Seiko would for sure rectify it... *sigh*

    ~~~

    And we're talking here about new watches. God forbid they need any kind of service. Once your watch goes in for service, the chances of getting it back in pristine condition is almost nil, regardless of the brand. Take my Tudor GMT for example; It had the infamous date-wheel issue. My three-month old, perfect GMT was sent to the Geneva Rolex Service Center and came back with oil residue on one hand and hour marker, not to mention scratched case...

  7. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,795

    Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

    Traveller - yours are some of the best photos on any forum on WUS - beautiful art work.
    I do think that QC is an issue, but I suspect it may always have been an issue.

    In recent years we have had easy access to Macro lenses and proliferation of images on Forums & social media.
    We are now all seeing what may have been there before but we never saw before.

    I have a Golden Emperor SBDX014 - it looked perfect in the shop to my eye. Weeks later when I took a photo and it was zoomed in & then blown up on my screen I noticed the printing on the foot of the MarineMaster had a printing error and an extra drop of ink added a claw to the foot horizontal. Now, it is an undeniable flaw - a blob of ink where it shouldnt be - I could have sent it back under warranty - but I figured, heck, they may scratch the case, damage the hands etc etc whilst mending the dial. Its personal now to me - and if it ever got nicked, it would be identifiable ;) I cant see it even with a loop let alone naked eye. Its probably half of one millimetre ? most of the time one of the three hands obscures it even if I could.

    I know some here would say "send it back" - but I kinda think - 3 months and no guarantee they'll do the work or mess up something else. So I kinda enjoy this little imperfection - perfection is not a predicate of anything man made.

    Name:  IMG_4717.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  49.4 KB
    Poor pic, zoomed in and in and now pixelating making all the letters look misprinted :)
    Last edited by Simon; May 19th, 2019 at 17:29.
    Travelller and GTR83 like this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

  8. #47
    Member Travelller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    VIE
    Posts
    2,041

    Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    ...I know some here would say "send it back" - but I kinda think - 3 months and no guarantee they'll do the work or mess up something else. So I kinda enjoy this little imperfection - perfection is not a predicate of anything man made...
    1st off, thank you for the compliment, much appreciated

    I would have accepted the dust & lume-bleed issues and waited until the 1st service but there were some other concerns (crown threading / winding coarseness) so I decided to send it in.
    As for my pending SLA033, I will spend twice the amount of time to check it out in-store. I'll bring a 10x loupe - not as good as my macro lens, but good enough to have picked up the dust etc.

    I do have a (new) rule-of-thumb in place. If a defect cannot be seen when photographed with a modern Smartphone, I'm not going to worry about it

  9. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    86

    Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

    Regarding the Good, bad and ugly part of the post, and the fact I've seen several pictures with Rolex hands looking less than perfect (and definitely worse than Seiko Samurai's hands), and even some stray specs of paint in Pateks, I start to wonder...

    We look at the watches at 100x and try to justify the ridiculous price tags with ridiculous levels of attention to detail that are not really supported by watchmakers. Aren't we trying to make of watches something they are not? Can't we just accept the fact that an expensive watch is exactly that, and not a piece of magically perfect artistry? We feel that a watch should be 10x better if it costs 10 times more, but in reality, the difference may not be that much and (weird complications aside) you can get a sturdy, precise movement in a case with as-good-as-it-gets finishing for much less than 4kUSD. You can pay as much as you want on top of that but, as long as we are still talking 3 handers with no swanky movement decoration or rare metals, you will never get your money's worth in terms of product quality (of course you also get brand and design).

    Which is why it still buggers me that they didn't do the SPB051 in a smaller case.
    Last edited by nanoc; May 23rd, 2019 at 04:24.
    GTR83 and Travelller like this.

  10. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    276

    Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

    Quote Originally Posted by nanoc View Post
    Can't we just accept the fact that an expensive watch is exactly that, and not a piece of magically perfect artistry? We feel that a watch should be 10x better if it costs 10 times more, but in reality, the difference may not be that much and (weird complications aside) you can get a sturdy, precise movement in a case with as-good-as-it-gets finishing for much less than 4kUSD.
    So what is an "expensive watch" then? Whatever floats your boat but, mechanical watches aren't all that great at their historical function of timekeeping; they're novelties of fine engineering, a vestige of times past. And as such I expect at least a level of attention to detail that makes sense to me. For tool watches, I don't mind minimal finishing on the movement, but the parts that are visible, I expect them to get right which really isn't asking a lot IMO - no misaligned chapter rings, ink blotches where they shouldn't be. And I get that this isn't specific to Seiko. I've seen ink blotches extend beyond the red part of the GMT hand of the new Rolex GMT - non magnified, on a video extolling that very watch!
    Travelller likes this.

  11. #50
    Member Travelller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    VIE
    Posts
    2,041

    Re: Seiko's SLA025 (SBEX007): A Pictorial

    Quote Originally Posted by nanoc View Post
    ...We look at the watches at 100x and try to justify the ridiculous price tags with ridiculous levels of attention to detail that are not really supported by watchmakers. Aren't we trying to make of watches something they are not? Can't we just accept the fact that an expensive watch is exactly that, and not a piece of magically perfect artistry? We feel that a watch should be 10x better if it costs 10 times more, but in reality, the difference may not be that much and (weird complications aside) you can get a sturdy, precise movement in a case with as-good-as-it-gets finishing for much less than 4kUSD. ...
    I can see your side of the age-old argument and there will always be the school of thought that a watch is just a tool. etc. Patek Phillip prides itself on the creation of amazing complications and combinations of many such complications in a 38mm wristwatch. Grand Seiko's very Japanese minimalist approach to their watches is accented by their pursuit of perfection and therein lies the beauty of their watches. While the SLA025 is not a GS, it is also not just another tool watch in Seiko's product line, rather their tribute to tool watches of the past. As such, they've "spared no expense", going with their Hi-Beat movement, high-polish finish, etc. We are certainly paying for it, too... .

    As for watchmakers... all I can say is that two independent local watchmakers I deal with were surprised by the state of my SLA025. Neither one were associated with the AD that sold me the watch so their responses weren't fabricated. They didn't use any "100x" devices, rather their standard 6x loupes.
    Having said that, we are back to the school of WIS-thought that you should leave your loupe at home when buying a watch. I'm obviously not a subscriber, but I bare no ill-will to those that are



    Quote Originally Posted by Estilo View Post
    ...mechanical watches aren't all that great at their historical function of timekeeping; they're novelties of fine engineering, a vestige of times past. And as such I expect at least a level of attention to detail that makes sense to me...
    This is how I see it, but not only a testament to fine engineering, but also what I call "mechanical art" - both inside and out

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 10
      Last Post: April 1st, 2019, 02:16
    2. FS: Seiko SLA025 / SBEX007 Hi Beat, New, Unused
      By digivandig in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: March 10th, 2019, 00:10
    3. FS: Seiko SLA025 Prospex Diver 300m Hi-Beat 1968 Recreation (SBEX007), Brand New
      By uvalaw2005 in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: October 14th, 2018, 16:48
    4. FS: Seiko SLA025 Prospex Diver 300m Hi-Beat 1968 Recreation (SBEX007), Brand New
      By uvalaw2005 in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: October 12th, 2018, 22:18
    5. Replies: 16
      Last Post: October 21st, 2012, 00:54

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •