SKX007 & Strapcode Oyster Marriage... "Gilding the Lily?"
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: SKX007 & Strapcode Oyster Marriage... "Gilding the Lily?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I have worn my SKX007 for the past 5 months sharing occasional wrist time with a Gen 1 Orange Monster. I have grown to enjoy the simplicity of each of these rather iconic timepieces. The SKX007 is the subject of my question this evening however. I have had a Strapcode Oyster bracelet in and out of an online shopping cart on multiple occasions over the past week as I have contemplated springing for one but always seem to delete it from my cart. With the WUS coupon code we are literally only talking about $50 and change so it isn't the money that is holding me back. I just wonder if perhaps I might be gilding the lily or adding something to a watch that is charming in its own simplicity. The OEM Jubilee is no doubt flimsy and perhaps below the fit and finish value of the watch head itself. But damn, the jubilee is flat out comfortable and actually appearance-wise is not a slouch IMO. STILL............... the Strapcode Oyster bracelet appears from PHOTOS and a majority of the current owner's testimony as a step up and a way to really take the watch to a whole different level. I guess I am not convinced to make that step............yet. Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation with their stock 007 and no hard feelings about the Jubilee but was gobsmacked convinced once they acquired the Oyster and experienced it on this icon? Part of me likes the simplicity of keeping it the way it is and part of me wants to see if the Oyster has the magic that many claim.
    Dec1968 likes this.

Mike

Re: SKX007 & Strapcode Oyster Marriage... "Gilding the Lily?"

I won't own an SKX without it having a Strapcode Super Oyster when it isn't on a NATO strap.

Best purchase you will make for that watch. Not even a doubt. It's awesome.

David
    Instagram: alienswanted
    KeithNYC, Bosman, duc and 2 others like this.

I see what you're saying. If you're not using fat springbars with the oem jubilee you're not getting the full experience. It's comfortable and light. Most people who complain about the rattle are probably using undersized springbars.

That said, super oyster, jubilee, or engineer is a huge leap forward. The clasp is the biggest improvement in my mind. I think if you plan to keep the 007 for the long haul then you owe it to yourself to test it on a super x bracelet. Worst case scenario is you're nonplussed, and you flip the bracelet & lose $10 or $15 bucks. I think you'll enjoy the higher grade bracelet though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kyleman; August 24th, 2016 at 06:22.
    Heljestrand likes this.
    Cool story Hansel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think a strapcode Super Oyster/Jubilee/Engineer is a must with an SKX, when not on a NATO
    I'd go Super Jubilee or Engineer. I have one each. Well worth it.

Name:  super bracelets .jpg
Views: 527
Size:  2.30 MB
    ORIS Williams F1 | SEIKO SARB033 SRP313 SRP315 SKX009 SKXA35 SNK809 | SQUALE 20 Atmos | TAG HEUER 4000

I was in a similar situation and decided to stick with the stock bracelet, it does the job and goes well with the skx IMHO. Some factors that swayed me away from the superoyster were a slew of recent bad reviews on strapcode's Canadian amazon listing relating to poor endlink fitment and finishing and screws backing out, I'm also not a massive fan of the oyster look as it seems very generic/plain - but that is just my opinion, I seem to be in a phase where I like complicated/multi-part bracelets.
    Heljestrand likes this.
    Truth has been spoken:
    Quote Originally Posted by javadave View Post
    Seiko divers are like crack. You start out with a monster or 007 and next thing you know you are selling your couch on Craigslist so that you can get a taste of a spring drive or marine master.
    WISH LIST: Omega 2221.80 / Grand Seiko SBGX115 / Rolex 16613

I love the stock jubilee. i think it's the jubilee design , which is meant to flex for comfort, which causes many people to consider it flimsy. that is the part i like, and what makes it so comfortable. with solid links i've never found it to be "rattly" which to me is the hallmark of a cheap bracelet.

this being said, i think it looks great on an oyster too. i would get one not to replace the jube, but to be able to change us the look every so often. To me that's the beauty of the SKX. I've not used a Strap Code oyster, so i cannot speak to the quality but I'm sure it's great. What I do have from Strap Code, and something I would suggest to change it up even further, is the vintage looking razor bracelet. I have one of the original ones and the fit and finish is awesome. They re-released it this year with straight and curved EL's and I got one for my Black Bay. Same awesome quality as the original.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
    Heljestrand likes this.

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I would go for the endmill instead of the oyster. Better look on the SKX007 in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Heljestrand and 65rob like this.
    IG: ikeepgoodtime

I wear my 009 on a SO. It's a fantastic looking bracelet but the SKX can carry it off with ease and is so good looking itself that it's not overshadowed by such a great looking bracelet.
    Heljestrand, Dec1968 and Bosman like this.

I'll echo what others have said. The super oyster bracelet really completes the SKX line of watches IMO. It dresses it up, but not too much.
    Heljestrand, Dec1968 and Bosman like this.

Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
    Damasko DA44
    Seiko SRPC39
    G-Shock GWM5610-1

I've had nearly the same thoughts op...the stock jubilee is so comfortable and classy looking to me. I do have a 22mm mesh and black Cuda strap to try on the skx. As for now tho the Jubilee remains...would like to try a nato eventually also...
    Heljestrand likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast