Sophisticated and puzzling eBay seller scam
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Black5
  • 1 Post By 6R15
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Sophisticated and puzzling eBay seller scam

Sophisticated and puzzling eBay seller scam

This morning I received an email of an "offer" for a watch I have listed for sale on eBay. The email looked legit on first sight, but after figuring it out to be suspect I noticed some irregularities with it. The email came from an ebay.[something] domain, giving the impression of it being an official email. The email contained the main listing photo and my listing's title in a layout and format that was exactly (to my eye) as that of eBay's. The thing that triggered the alarm bells for me, was that when I went to "my eBay" which was already open on my laptop, the offer was not there.

What makes this puzzling, is I am not too sure what this email could do (or has done). The links of the email all open ebay.co.uk. I'm quite aware of phishing attacks attempting to gain credentials, but this did not have a link that lead to an "eBay" page asking me to log in. Unless of course by the act of just opening the links was enough to do harm or gain credentials. But I can say that there appeared to be nothing suspicious on opening said links - nothing flashing up; links on selection produce a URL of sorts with a gmail domain (gmail being my provider), then open to the eBay homepage (with ebay.co.uk in the address bar to match), with my name etc up the top. I should add, I forwarded it to eBay's phishing email, and the email seemed to disappear from my inbox (it remained in my sent folder as the email I sent to eBay, however).

Has anyone else experienced such an email? What could have been done as a result the email? I used to think of myself as being somewhat knowledge about things computer related, but with the passage of time this is not the case! Any information from anyone knowledgable on matters techy, much appreciated!

Important to note, if you are going to sell watches (or anything else for that matter) on eBay, (and I'm beginning to think it is not worth the hassle,) exercise caution and pay attention to your "My eBay" as this is where offers and messages will be if they are genuine.

Thanks for reading and any responses,

K

Re: Sophisticated and puzzling eBay seller scam

Clicking on the active link could have already created a problem - regardless of where the link eventually directed you to.

These Phishing emails are starting to get more sophisticated and you could have been directed to ebay UK within a “shell”, which could capture your login details.

(Or have downloaded some code and be doing something else malicious to your device.)

I would suggest immediately logging in to your ebay account cleanly from within a known safe browser (Different to the one you used that time) and changing your password.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    koolpep likes this.
    So many watches, so little time...

Thanks for your reply, info and advice.

I have changed the password for both my eBay and PayPal accounts, but from my laptop using Firefox, which has been the default browser on my laptop for sometime. You recommend doing it once again from Safari which is also installed?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is it the same laptop that may be compromised?

If so, use a different device to change your passwords etc.

A smartphone or tablet will do.

Then check your laptop for any recently installed software, and your browsers for any recently installed add-ons.

Best to clear your cache, and cookies as well.

Ideally, uninstall and re-install clean versions of your browsers and run a thorough virus scan of your device.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    So many watches, So little time...
    So many watches, so little time...

As long as you didn't get a call on the phone with a voice that whispers, "seven days" after you clicked the link, you should be fine.
    imaCoolRobot likes this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Some excellent advice from Black5 which should shoo any nasties from your device.
    Black5 likes this.

Thread Information