A Stuck SKX bezel

Thread: A Stuck SKX bezel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Stuck SKX bezel

My new(ish) SKX 173 has a sticky bezel. Now I'm a NEWB and although I'm quick enough to figure out there must be some sort of lubricant. I don't know how to remove the bezel or how to apply this mystery lube. Any suggestions?

Re: A Stuck SKX bezel

Check out the archive of this great forum:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=263137

I'd use silicone spray as lubricant.
    You can put some adhesive tape on the blade of the knife to prevent scratches etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Jotter View Post
    My new(ish) SKX 173 has a sticky bezel. Now I'm a NEWB and although I'm quick enough to figure out there must be some sort of lubricant. I don't know how to remove the bezel or how to apply this mystery lube. Any suggestions?

Before you start taking anything apart try soaking it in water for a while.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
    Before you start taking anything apart try soaking it in water for a while.
    Won't that wash away whatever lube I have left?

Not typically. The lubricants used on the bezels and the case back o-rings are typically not soluble in water. Be sure to use tepid water and not hot water. Hot water will expand things, potentially contributing to leaks. I usually tape up more than just the blade I use. I tape up all the areas on the bezel and case adjacent to where I insert the blade to remove the bezel.

Suspended

The watch is made for diving.

I just fixed my stuck bezel today (skx009). It wouldn't turn at all. I used the above how-to, but may I add a *tip.*

When using a small knife to pop bezel off I had a real hard time getting it under the bezel (and scratched my watch ). The solution was using the knife above the crown, the bezel popped off easily at this location. I think the case has a cutout all the way up where the crown is, allowing the knife to go under easier.

Next clean and clean, use q-tips until they are not dirty. I used vasoline to lube the bezel once cleaned. If the o-ring pops out it goes back in easily.

good luck :)

Quote Originally Posted by JapanWatch View Post
    I just fixed my stuck bezel today (skx009). It wouldn't turn at all. I used the above how-to, but may I add a *tip.*

When using a small knife to pop bezel off I had a real hard time getting it under the bezel (and scratched my watch ). The solution was using the knife above the crown, the bezel popped off easily at this location. I think the case has a cutout all the way up where the crown is, allowing the knife to go under easier.

Next clean and clean, use q-tips until they are not dirty. I used vasoline to lube the bezel once cleaned. If the o-ring pops out it goes back in easily.

good luck :)
    First of all, I am glad you were able to do the job yourself.

But, I would not have used Vaseline as a lube. It is petroleum-based, and will more than likely contribute to rapid deterioration of the O-Ring. As suggested earlier, silicon lube would have been the one to use.
    Where do you get silicone lube? Any hardware store or big box Lowes/Home Depot should have what is called "Plumbers Grease", this is a silicon based lubricant, that is very sticky and water resistant. An alternative, which I have used as well, is the spray silicone lube available in any automotive supply house, spray some in the can cover, and use any tool to dip in it and apply where needed. Neither product is expensive and can be used for other stuff as well.

My sig is no sig.

Another good option is dielectric grease. Back in the day when cars had points the dielectric grease was used to lube in distributors. I think it is silicone based. It's very water resistant, and doesn't have a dilatory effect on the o-rings. Be real careful what lubes you use, many of the petroleum based lubes will ruin your o-rings.

well u can also try putting some soap into the water when u soak it for a bit then when ur finished rinse and scrub with hot water it helps alot even if u think it doesnt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information