In a Sumo v. MM300 contest, who prefers the Sumo? - Page 2
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: In a Sumo v. MM300 contest, who prefers the Sumo?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: In a Sumo v. MM300 contest, who prefers the Sumo?

Quote Originally Posted by joslar View Post
    Now when moving to the MM300 we are in Omega PO territory, and then I think the MM300 falls a bit out. Not saying it isn't as good as an Omega PO, but its simply not as superior in its price range as the Sumo is... Get it ??
    The MM300 at $2500 is still about $1000 less than the 2500 PO. It may be a better comparsion with the MM600 at that price point, but even then the MM600 is $600 more than the 2500 PO. It's hard to compare them fairly if you also consider their price differences.

Quote Originally Posted by cold_beer839 View Post
    The MM300 at $2500 is still about $1000 less than the 2500 PO. It may be a better comparsion with the MM600 at that price point, but even then the MM600 is $600 more than the 2500 PO. It's hard to compare them fairly if you also consider their price differences.
    Maybe your right. But where I live, the price diff per to day is exactly 524 USD on a Planet Ocean and the MM300. Most of the european countries have high import taxes on stuff coming from outside EU. Nevertheless, I think the Sumo is unbeatable in its class. The MM300 meets tough resistance

Yes I know its expensive in the Nordic countries. In Sweden a Planet Ocea coast 33 000 swedish crowns = 4738 USD and a MM300 with taxes 26 000 swedish crowns with taxes=3733 USD.
    Last edited by 80talisten; May 12th, 2012 at 11:41.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mattjmcd View Post
    A mid-range Seiko is on my short list for pick up this year. I've been mulling the MM300, the Sumo, and the Shogun. I *think* I've eliminated the Shogun from contention because I can't get my head around the case styling. So that leaves the Sumo and the Marine Master.

Oddly enough, I think I prefer the cheaper watch. Am I crazy? Here's how I am evaluating these watches right now, sight unseen ( except in interweb pics, natch! ):

case design- I am liking the Sumo here. The MM300 has a better dial and bezel. IMO though the lines of the Sumo case and bezel seem more unique and more... well... Japanese. The crown is signed on the Sumo. A small detail, but still... Also, the overall dims are similar at 44mm, but the Sumo is over 1mm flatter, and seems to feature a pronounced curve to contour to the wrist. I have 6.7"-ish wrists, so 44mm is doable but pushing it. I wonder if the Sumo would wear a bit smaller than the MM300? Any ideas?

movement- No contest, right? Still, the MM300 is not finely-tuned like a GS, and with a solid caseback you can't see it anyway.

bracelet- I've no basis for comparison, but all of the feedback I've heard suggests that the MM300 is better.

"it" factor- here in the States, both watches are rare and somewhat noteworthy, but the MM300 has the edge I think. I'm not sure if that edge is worth an extra $2 grand, though, and that brings me to...

cost- The MM300 is fairly priced for what it is. Perhaps it's more accurate to say that it is fairly priced for its potential? The Sumo is obviously a bargain and modified easily enough to get the most out of it, if one wanted to go that route.

I'm still unsure, but I am leaning towards the Sumo. Am I crazy? What say you?

I'd like to have feedback on the crown and bezel action on both watches, by the way. Is the operation smooth? A bit gritty?

While there's very little I personally prefer about the Sumo over the MM300 (less dial text, dial text font), if it's even as close a race in your eyes as you're describing, I say you're crazy if you don't get the Sumo! At least first that is.

I own a Sumo and I don't own a MM300 so obviously I preferred the Sumo! But the only reason for that is price. Not that I think the 300 is overpriced, I'm just not at that stage of life where I can see myself paying that much for a watch.
    M1K3Z0R likes this.
    Your friend in Japan - My Feedback More Feedback

I prefer the Sumo.

Buy it first so that you will realize that you need the MM300.

Upon handling the Sumo, you will appreciate its finish and build quality so much so that the prospect of owning a MM300, with its devoted following, will become ever so enticing.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Seiko divers are like crack. You start out with a monster or 007 and next thing you know you are selling your couch on Craigslist so that you can get a taste of a spring drive or marine master.

Get the Sumo. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by javadave View Post
    Seiko divers are like crack. You start out with a monster or 007 and next thing you know you are selling your couch on Craigslist so that you can get a taste of a spring drive or marine master.

Get the Sumo. You won't regret it.
    I've got no where to sit, but at least I've got a MM300 to show for it.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Logic says Sumo, prestige says MM300. Life's too short to keep second guessing yourself, especially after making a decision. If you have the means, get both now because you'll probably do so later anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
    I personally don't like the way the case shrouds the bezel on the sides of the Sumo.
    x2 though I still got mine and had it upgraded, it is seldom wore..8L35 is not anything that guarantees quality

Last edited by seikomatic; May 16th, 2012 at 11:51.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information