Is there any value left in a seiko watch?
Like Tree771Likes

Thread: Is there any value left in a seiko watch?

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Every time I look at a Seiko watch, I cannot help comparing it to Glycine. Seiko comes out way short of Glycine offering. Glycines have better design, better movement, better finish, sapphire crystal and is a genuine Swiss watch maker. Earlier this year when I was new to watches, I bought a ~$240 SKX and later a $370 Glycine combat sub. When I consider that my Glycine was from an AD while the Seiko from a grey market dealer on Amazon, SKX looks heavily overpriced. It is half the watch that a Glycine combat sub is. Yet every youtube channel and 'influencer' keeps on peddling this grossly overpriced watch from the past.

I was looking again to Seiko for a ~$500 purchase and I see that same stuff. Still no Saphire, no 6r15. WTF is going on?
    wpbmike, guspech750, mleok and 3 others like this.

Re: Is there any value left in a seiko watch?

You raise very valid points. Just realize that the slide in Glycine online prices is very recent. The MSRP are a good bit higher, not that that really matters in the marketplace.

Seiko are somewhat overpriced and those of us who buy them, snag them at discount prices which occur often, especially around the holidays. For example, I try not to pay more than $400 for new release Seiko containing the mediocre 6r15 movement, which is a lowbeat workhorse.

In addition to Glycine, I have been scooping up other Swiss Made low priced brands such as Alpina, Hamilton, Bulova and Victorinox at steep discounts new.

I like Seiko, own a bunch of them, but am very leery of paying too much for their lower end models with lowbeat movements.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; August 23rd, 2019 at 07:34.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

How about you take a long break from watching The Urban Gentry?
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Better design? Except for the Airman, no.
    Better movement? Not sure how you’re quantifying that.
    Genuine Swiss? Who cares, and nope, 49% Asian
    Better finish? No way. Seiko, for their price points, are very hard to beat here.
    Sapphire? Ok, sure. I guess if that’s what you’re buying, the crystal, have at it.

SKX is 5 times the watch that the Combat Sub is, by my tally. But I weigh authenticity heavily. If what you want is a sapphire crystal, then you’re calculus may be different.

Bottom line: Way more value in Seiko than in Glycine, of all brands.
    Seikos: SBDX017, SKX173, 6139-6002
    G-Shocks: GWF-D1000B, GMW-B5000D-1, GW-5000

Quote Originally Posted by il Pirati View Post
    Better design? Except for the Airman, no.
    Better movement? Not sure how you’re quantifying that.
    Genuine Swiss? Who cares, and nope, 49% Asian
    Better finish? No way. Seiko, for their price points, are very hard to beat here.
    Sapphire? Ok, sure. I guess if that’s what you’re buying, the crystal, have at it.

SKX is 5 times the watch that the Combat Sub is, by my tally. But I weigh authenticity heavily. If what you want is a sapphire crystal, then you’re calculus may be different.

Bottom line: Way more value in Seiko than in Glycine, of all brands.
    Sure you could argue on the aesthetics but combat sub design is superior. It is thinner and wears better. Has drilled lugs, Signed crown.
    Movement in combat sub is objectively superior. Hackable, better accuracy(My combat sub runs +5 sec/day while the SKX runs +30 secs/day), superior crown action, higher beat I like the smooth sweep of the seconds hand.
    Swiss brands do command a premium price in the market. It is a fact you cannot ignore.
    Combat sub has objectively better finish. No misaligned chapter rings, Lume is applied precisely on the numerals. I see lume on SKX is not properly aligned on the markers. The same carries on to the case. Both the case and case back are way better finished than my skx. Not sure where you are coming from but looking at them side by side, it is not a debate. It is like debating if a toyota has a better finish than a mercedes.
    I forgot to mention the cheap strap that skx came with. The strap that came with my combat sub is way out of league compared to the oem skx strap. You can actually wear it.

What do you mean by authenticity and how does it make skx 5x a combat sub? May be list some tangibles?

It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind and are just looking for an argument. If you'd rather have a Glycine then get one.
    Casio DW5600E; Invicta 9094OB; Rodina R005; Red Star 1963; Seiko SARB033, SKX007 (NH36), SNA411, SNK809 (rebuild), SSB033, SUP880; Timex T20041, T2H281, TW2R38000; Vostok 420059

Seiko also trade on a history that Glycine can't touch.

- first Auto chrono in the world (to public sale) that took just 2 years to develop and is a vertical column wheel calibre at that.

- first quartz watch and the starter of a movement that changed history

- a watch company that is truly 100% in-house

- During the late 70s and 80s they were the biggest watch company in the world.

- invented the LCD display

- first Auto chrono in space

- they still are the only company that makes quartz and mechanicals for every market sector from lowly SKX and cheap digitals through to Grand Seiko

- a range of in-house calibres that includes quartz, mechaquartz, mechanical, spring drive & solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

What a load of mumbo jumbo...ohh look that's yer handle.

Well don’t look at them then and don’t come on a seiko forum to diss seiko watches - many of us know what we like, know what the alternatives are, know what constitutes value, and prefer seiko all day over Glycine.
    Xhantos, pascs, adsb and 4 others like this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Quote Originally Posted by MrDisco99 View Post
    It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind and are just looking for an argument. If you'd rather have a Glycine then get one.
    Like I mentioned earlier, my experience with watches is very limited. I am unable to convince myself that Seiko provides a superior product or even comparable product for similar amount of money. In my personal experience it is the exact opposite. They ask for more money for an inferior product. I am trying to find out if I am missing something which adds value.
    I am indeed looking for the argument to justify buying a Seiko. I am not a fanboy nor a hater.

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information