Thinking (and still thinking) of going into discontinued collectible Seiko Quartz movts...

Thread: Thinking (and still thinking) of going into discontinued collectible Seiko Quartz movts...

Thinking (and still thinking) of going into discontinued collectible Seiko Quartz movts...

Yes, I know I was (and still am) a strong advocate for mechanical watches. But a recent trip to a "Seiko-land" opened my eyes to beautiful early Seiko quartz watches. So I thought I should add a few "worthwhile ones" into my humble collection.

Now I need your expert advice (with pics better still!) here:

1. Which model/lineage/movt number I should look out for in Seiko quartz? (at the moment, no Kinetic please.) Just plain vanilla quartz.

2. How do you store quartz watches? remove battery? or keep them running?

3. Is it possible to reach a day where there are no battery to suit that particular quartz watch? or are batteries "universal"?

4. How do Seiko quartz stand up to in terms of durability and accuracy?

TIA :)
    "because nobody stops at one watch" - kohym
    http://kymwatchlog.blogspot.com/

Re: Thinking (and still thinking) of going into discontinued collectible Seiko Quartz movt

I don't collect vintage quartz, but I do have some newer ones so I'll chime in on the storage:

I just let mine run until the battery dies and then replace it. I know of people (non-WIS) that pull the crown when they are not wearing the watch. If you do this, the battery may last longer but you run the risk of the battery leaking anf destroying the movement. I would let them run, unless I was going to store them for long periods (years) without wearing them, in which case I would remove the batteries.

Re: Thinking (and still thinking) of going into discontinued collectible Seiko Quartz movt

I don't consider myself a "serious" collector, but I have a fairly large collection (20 or so) of vintage quartz watches, mostly Seikos. I have only had one battery leak since the mid-80's. Fortunately, I caught that one before it did any serious damage. I keep them in a couple of open-topjewelry trays so that i can check and make sure they are running at least once a week.

The Seiko 7A movements are very highly regarded by collectors, as are some of the hard-to-find H021 series movements. Fortunately, these movements were used in a large variety of watch styles, so you don't have to limit yourself to one particular genre (divers, dress, chrono, etc.)

Coincidentally, I'm wearing one of my favorite Seiko Quartz watches today, a 7A48 moonphase chrono I bought in 1985 or so:

This watch was one of my two daily wearers (along with an Omega Constellation quartz) for about 20 years before I actively started collecting watches, so it has seen plenty of wear. I recently sent it back to Seiko USA because one of the pushers was stuck; they overhauled the movement and put it back into like-new condition for $80.

There are lots of folks out there who know a lot more about the internals of the early quartz watches than I do, but my advice is this: Collect what you like and wear what you collect! You don't have to spend tons of money on these like you do on some of the vintage automatics.

-Les
    Last edited by w4laf; August 7th, 2008 at 15:23.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by w4laf View Post
    Collect what you like and wear what you collect!

-Les

My problem is I do not wear what I collect!
    I have 40 automatics but wear only 4 of them

Thanks all! you are correct, somehow the quartz looks better cosmetically than some autos. and I am not not surprised Seiko is one of the early market leaders in quartz tech!
    "because nobody stops at one watch" - kohym
    http://kymwatchlog.blogspot.com/

I've been missing this 7A38 since it came up missing after a night of heavy drinking (I was 17) and the watch was destroyed from a motorcycle accident. (still running though)

I love the 7A-

Rice
    Seiko 6159-7010 Seiko 7S26-7020 (DONATED Towww.komen.org) Seiko 7N36-0AF0(SHC061Sawtooth)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Seiko 7N36-6A29 (SHC045) Seiko 4006-6070 (BellMatic-03-1967) Seiko 7S26-0350 (SKX779) Seiko 8306-8090 (Sealion- 07-1967)

I've got a 7A28 that I absolutely love:

That's a ggod movement to dive in with.

Thread Information