What caused discontinued models to be, well, Discontinued?

Thread: What caused discontinued models to be, well, Discontinued?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What caused discontinued models to be, well, Discontinued?

I was lurking the forums and it seems like the discontinued Seiko calibers (eg the early divers, the automatic chrono, the jeweled 7A series) are more sought after. And it also seems generally they are also much well-built, lasting decades.

I was wondering when the early folks bought the 6105 or the 6138 etc, they bought it with just a thought, "Hey, I need a watch to dive / to tell the time." But little did they know that the $100+ watch they bought 30 years ago would worth easily 3-5x the original price now.

If I were them and IF I can forsee the future, I would stock up on the early divers, the auto chronos etc. Not very expensive to buy 2-3 different design of the same caliber anyway!

Will the watches we buy BNIB today become the sought after piece 30yrs down the road just like the early Seikos diver or auto chrono? Nobody knows and it will be interesting to keep track and see what happens then.

So go ahead and buy the different colors of the Monsters, Knights, SKX divers etc! You may hit the jackpot few decades later!
    "because nobody stops at one watch" - kohym
    http://kymwatchlog.blogspot.com/

Banned

Re: What caused discontinued models to be, well, Discontinued?

Lack of sales, it can also be that the price was to high ect.

For some having the latest and greatest is a reason to buy. So some are sunset for marketing reasons.

Reduction of production costs and improvement in performance are other reasons.

Prices climb for items that stand the test of time (wah wah - lousy pun intended ).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I read a really interesting blog a while ago, which was asking the question: of all the Seiko divers currently in production, what will be the classic in a few years' time?

The writer figured that most likely it would be an SKX007.

It doesn't have to be rare to go on to become a cult thing. It has to be. . . classic.
    日 Sunday / 月 Monday / 火 Tuesday / 水 Wednesday / 木 Thursday / 金 Friday / 土 Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by kohym View Post

Will the watches we buy BNIB today become the sought after piece 30yrs down the road just like the early Seikos diver or auto chrono? Nobody knows and it will be interesting to keep track and see what happens then.

So go ahead and buy the different colors of the Monsters, Knights, SKX divers etc! You may hit the jackpot few decades later!
    Back in the early 90's I had a pair of Olympic edition Air Jordan basketball shoes, the red white and blue version with the #9 on the back. I loved those shoes. I wore them and repaired them and wore them until they were nothing but Shoe Goo and laces.
    When I discovered E-bay I thought, I'd love to find a pair of those. I found a New old stock pair in my size, for $1200! Umm, I did not buy them.
    I could have kept mine all nice a new in my closet tucked away and sold them for quite a profit, but I used them as they were intended and in the end got the better part of the bargain.

Now if only there were a place where you could try and predict what will become a hot commodity in the future. Oh yeah, it's called the stock market, I haven't done so well there either.

My plan for watches? Buy what you enjoy, enjoy what you buy!

And Koh, That's your former orient Dolphin enjoying the beach in my avatar. Thanks again.
    Last edited by DoctorC; February 2nd, 2010 at 06:22.
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai

wouldn't it be great to walk into a watch shop 30 yrs ago

and see so many 6138, 6139, 6105, 6309 diplayed in the show case for sale?

My dad should have taken up this hobby then. Maybe i can "inherit" the lot from him now! haha

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorC View Post

And Koh, That's your former orient Dolphin enjoying the beach in my avatar. Thanks again.
    She look so much at home! glad it fits!

The current 'business model' for watch manufacturers makes essential for them to continuously bring new models and discontinue the old ones - it is unfortunately closer to the fashion world ... not that the cars, cellphones, computers and so on are any different today ...

V8

Sales and marketing. If it doesn't sell it gets discontinued, if it does sell, it gets stale and needs to be refreshed.

Cell phones get restyled, what, like every year? I'm glad good watch styles have more staying power.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

I have been told that the SKX007 and SKX009 models (black and Pepsi bezels), have alreade been discontinued, so maybe they have just started the way

Anyway, I better think that Monsters are the "official" classical diver's line of Seiko for the 2000 decade.

Another think is about Prospex models (Marinemasters, Sumos, etc.). The are classical also expensive. So I think they will be cult watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information