What watch to buy?

Thread: What watch to buy?

What watch to buy?

Well I've been looking to purchase a watch recently and after having looked around for a while and I think I've narrowed it down to either a Seiko Titanium (SGG705):

or a Citizen Eco-Drive BM1150-53E:

or a Citizen Eco-Drive BM8224-51E:

or a Citizen Eco-Drive BM8430-59E:

I'd like to stay in the cheapish price range ($130 or below).
    Does anyone have any experience with these particular watches or have any recommendations for similar watches? Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Isthmus; October 14th, 2008 at 20:31.

Suspended

Re: What watch to buy?

SGG705

BM1150-53E

BM8224-51E

You will get more feedback with pictures. Also, you will have to describe what features are important to you in a watch. Even though these are all dress watches, they are still different. We can help with the technical stuff. But when it comes to style, that's a personal thing. I would recommend to just keep looking at watches until you figure out something that just catches your eye...Romans, or dial texture or style of hands or whatever.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    And I'll add the last picture for good measure.
    BM8430-59E

I like the style on all of them, I was just kinda curious about the experience people had had with these watches or similar ones. I've heard great things about both Seiko and Citizen, I just don't know all that much about the titanium Seikos and the Eco-Drives...

As to what I am looking for in a watch I guess it would mainly be durability and accurate time keeping.

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by SimonSaysBleed; October 14th, 2008 at 02:32.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Suspended

These are all quartz which will give you accuracy. The Citizens are EcoDrive which means they use light to power a rechargable battery. EcoDrive is basically a low maintaince watch and if you wear it regularly you won't have to worry about keeping it charged up. The Seikos are regular button cell batteries. They all look like they have standard lugs, so that you can take off the bracelet and use a strap just to change things up. Titanium is a lot lighter than steel and will get this gray/silver petina with age. As far as durability and accuracy, these are all equivalent. You really won't go wrong in that department. I would just choose based on what looks the best to you. All of these are neutral enough that they will go with everything. If I had to pick one, it would be the Citizen with the Roman numerals just because it has a unique look. But again, that's just my opinion.

I will make it simple, buy every possible watch you can get your hands on. It's the only way.

Citizen Eco-Drive, in all seriousness, is an excellent choice always.

These all look like fairly basic daily wear quartz powered dress watches. IMHO Eco-drive will be easier to live with in the long term. I would not pay a premium for titanium at this level. I would go for whichever one of the Citizens most appeals to you. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    These all look like fairly basic daily wear quartz powered dress watches. IMHO Eco-drive will be easier to live with in the long term. I would not pay a premium for titanium at this level. I would go for whichever one of the Citizens most appeals to you. You can't go wrong with any of them.
    The Titanium at $115 doesn't seem too bad (and the Citizen at $100 looks very good), but I've heard that most Titanium watches scratch a lot easier than SS.

And does anyone know anything about Seiko's perpetual calendar watches? I know that they auto adjust for the date and all that, but is there anything else that makes them stand out?

Seiko SNQ045

Bump

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSaysBleed View Post
    And does anyone know anything about Seiko's perpetual calendar watches? I know that they auto adjust for the date and all that, but is there anything else that makes them stand out?
    That's about it. I think some watches that have perp calendar may have a movement in them with a better accuracy spec, but I don't know if this is so for all of them or not. That wouldn't be a factor in my decision making, nor would the perp calendar for that matter. Jumping ahead one day, every other month really isn't a big deal. If you like the way it looks, just get it.

Thread Information