• 1 Post By AirWatch
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 4 Post By Seabee1
  • 2 Post By Time Seller
  • 1 Post By composer
  • 2 Post By Simon

Thread: What year is this watch from?

What year is this watch from?

Hi everyone, just got this Seiko 6309-8009 watch with serial 7D1266. Does anybody know if this watch is from Dec. 1977, or Dec. 1987?

Name:  seiko1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  835.9 KBName:  seiko2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  404.0 KB

Also, does the JAPAN E below the serial mean that it was made in Japan?
    Seabee1 likes this.

Re: What year is this watch from?

My guess is it's an '87. Another perhaps stronger guess is that it was made in Japan. Back then, Japan made Seikos were the norm. I'm not even sure if they had any overseas manufacturing back in the '80s.
    composer likes this.

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

December 87
    composer likes this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

I'm gonna say December, 1977. The reason is because there is the SUWA logo on the dial. Now your movement (6309) is the same one used in the 6309-70xx dive watch and from 76-82ish (I think) they all had the SUWA mark above 6 o'clock (like yours) which signified they were made at the factory in Suwa, Japan. Seiko then move production to Singapore and the SUWA logo was removed from the dial and caseback. Since all their dive watches were then on made in Singapore (and also Hong Kong) I can't see how a watch made in 1987 would have the SUWA logo. So I will stand on December, 1977 as the production date of your watch.
    Last edited by Seabee1; 1 Week Ago at 17:51. Reason: corrected productin start date from 1977 to 1976
    May the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster Bless You With His Noodley Goodness, Ramen.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    I'm gonna say December, 1977. The reason is because there is the SUWA logo on the dial. Now your movement (6309) is the same one used in the 6309-70xx dive watch and from 77-82ish (I think) they all had the SUWA mark above 6 o'clock (like yours) which signified they were made at the factory in Suwa, Japan. Seiko then move production to Singapore and the SUWA logo was removed from the dial and caseback. Since all their dive watches were then on made in Singapore (and also Hong Kong) I can't see how a watch made in 1987 would have the SUWA logo. So I will stand on December, 1977 as the production date of your watch.
    What he said.
    composer and Seabee1 like this.

Thank you!!
    Seabee1 likes this.

good catch - I knew it was either 77 or 87 and went with the 'style" which seemed more 80's than 70's - I bow to your better analysis

I got engaged in December 1987 - that's wot threw me ;)
    Seabee1 and composer like this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Thread Information