Why we love Seiko
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Why we love Seiko

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why we love Seiko

That is many reasons why Seiko is one of my favoritebrands. I love their technical expertice and fine movements. Another is that Seiko has somthing to offer to all costumers. If you want a beater you can buy a cheap Monster but still got quality, If you want a nice everyday watch, but dont want to pay thousands of dollars but still want a little "nicer" watch you can buy a Sumo. For them who wants an exlusive (not massproduced watch like many are, both swiss and japanese watches) have the Grand Seiko line to choose from. Maby the Grand Seiko is to expensive, then you have the Ananta-line whish is both exlusive and very wellfinished pieces for cheaper prices than GS. Even cheaper is the Marinmaster 300m but will still be an exlusive piece and is a watch with very good finish and movement. Seiko is a f**ing good brand in almost every aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by 80talisten View Post
    That is many reasons why Seiko is one of my favoritebrands. I love their technical expertice and fine movements. Another is that Seiko has somthing to offer to all costumers. If you want a beater you can buy a cheap Monster but still got quality, If you want a nice everyday watch, but dont want to pay thousands of dollars but still want a little "nicer" watch you can buy a Sumo. For them who wants an exlusive (not massproduced watch like many are, both swiss and japanese watches) have the Grand Seiko line to choose from. Maby the Grand Seiko is to expensive, then you have the Ananta-line whish is both exlusive and very wellfinished pieces for cheaper prices than GS. Even cheaper is the Marinmaster 300m but will still be an exlusive piece and is a watch with very good finish and movement. Seiko is a f**ing good brand in almost every aspect.
    Well said.

Re: Why we love Seiko

Well said.

I thought I would add a short commentary:
    On a another thread, I briefly touched on the sociological basis for why Seiko makes watches at all levels, but I think it did not ring true to a lot of people.
    But the Japanese business culture is NOT wholly like the one that most of us here take to be the "norm". It is often cited that in Japan, the pay ratio/differential of CEO to average worker in the same company is around 12:1, whereas in the US it is something like 240:1.
    Ignoring the foundation for this seemingly "irrational" phenomenon would prevent one from understanding what business is in a culture like Japan, and in the Far East in general. Sure, it can be as brutal as anywhere, but there is another dimension/culture of business praxis when you're as big as Seiko or Toyota, etc.

I'd say most people in the West, the US in particular, cannot comprehend how a business entity should be concerned with anything other than making as much profit as possible all the time.
    Well, this is of course important, but it is not the end-all be-all value in the Japanese psyche or society.
    And one should not underestimate the influence of Buddhist concepts at work in Japanese society, just as deeply rooted Judeo-Christian values influence how things are done in the US.

I have reason to believe that if Seiko makes watches for all people at all levels of income, it is not just for profit, it is also because they see it as their social as well as ethical responsibility to do so. I won't get into the sociology of it here, but it's there. You can find this same mindset at work in Korea as well. It has to do with their history that is routed through Confucianism and Buddhism.

It would not surprise me if some of the lower end models make very little or even no profit for Seiko.
    But unless, they cannot offset the loss with profits from other models, a company like Seiko would probably continue to produce them - as it is an East Asian value to try to make it possible for everyone in their society to "have face" or dignity. And if owning a watch is necessary to "have face," then well, ya gotta be able to own a watch at the budget that fits you. And Seiko would see to that.
    So, bravo, Seiko.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm in the UK, and they JDM Seikos are simply the watch to get in terms of bangs for buck. I look at many other brands that are this price range, Stowa, Steinhardt, Bernhardt, Grovana, Tissot and many others, and although I've swopped more watches than I care to admit, I always come back to the JDM 6R15 Seikos.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Well said.

On a another thread, I briefly touched on the sociological basis for why Seiko makes watches at all levels, but I think it did not ring true to a lot of people.
    But the Japanese business culture is NOT wholly like the one that most of us here take to be the "norm". It is often cited that in Japan, the pay ratio/differential of CEO to average worker in the same company is around 12:1, whereas in the US it is something like 240:1.
    Ignoring the foundation for this seemingly "irrational" phenomenon would prevent one from understanding what business is in a culture like Japan, and in the Far East in general. Sure, it can be as brutal as anywhere, but there is another dimension/culture of business praxis when you're as big as Seiko or Toyota, etc.

I'd say most people in the West, the US in particular, cannot comprehend how a business entity should be concerned with anything other than making as much profit as possible all the time.
    Well, this is of course important, but it is not the end-all be-all value in the Japanese psyche or society.
    And one should not underestimate the influence of Buddhist concepts at work in Japanese society, just as deeply rooted Judeo-Christian values influence how things are done in the US.

I have reason to believe that if Seiko makes watches for all people at all levels of income, it is not just for profit, it is also because they see it as their social as well as ethical responsibility to do so. I won't get into the sociology of it here, but it's there. You can find this same mindset at work in Korea as well. It has to do with their history that is routed through Confucianism and Buddhism.

It would not surprise me if some of the lower end models make very little or even no profit for Seiko.
    But unless, they cannot offset the loss with profits from other models, a company like Seiko would probably continue to produce them - as it is an East Asian value to try to make it possible for everyone in their society to "have face" or dignity. And if owning a watch is necessary to "have face," then well, ya gotta be able to own a watch at the budget that fits you. And Seiko would see to that.
    So, bravo, Seiko.
    Very articulate and well put.

It's a funny story but the reason I love Seiko is my father. My father is American and my mother is Korean and it's ingrained in her generation to hate anything Japanese (and to go as far as purchasing something Japanese would be absurd! haha!) because of the history between the two countries. But my father who was always a "best bang for your buck," kind of guy always told me Seiko makes the best damn watches for the money. This was back in the late 80's and early 90's. So one day he bought a Seiko for my mother. She hated it but he insisted she try it and just wear it because he bought it for her as a gift.

25 years later that Seiko she has is still ticking away and she wears it everyday. It's gone through a few strap and battery changes but I am still amazed at how good the watch still looks. I bought her a Citizen about 8 years back and that is also a solid watch.

I plan on getting the parents Seiko "couple watches" this Christmas. Bottom line is you can't really do any better for the money.
    Last edited by chonga; October 28th, 2011 at 02:45.

Name:  IMG_0233.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  77.2 KB
    like the rest of you, I have too many watches. I collect mostly vintage, but I have a couple of modern Pateks. I have become fixated on Seiko because the brand offers better or equal Swiss quality at 1/10 the price. the photo is of one of my recent purchases. the Europeans would have charged 5x what I paid. I bought my high end Swiss watches 15 years ago. I wouldn't buy them today because if I pay $35,000, I should be able to drive it home. Seiko also is a movement manufacturer. when you buy a Seiko, you're not buying a generic ETA McWatch movement in a Chinese made case. it's amusing to me that the Europeans wouldn't let Seiko enter last years chronometer competition. maybe they knew Seiko would win.

Well said.

So, bravo, Seiko.
    Interesting analysis. I think it's too easy for westerners to project Western business ethos on to Eastern companies when looking at profitability, marketing and branding. Seiko makes great products, from it's lowest lines to its high-end offerings. Having just sold my Rolex SD (I started another thread on the subject), I bought a blue Sumo from Higuchi San as an addition to my on-order Seiko GS (won't be here until January). I was blown away by the quality and finish of this piece. It's heads and shoulders above anything near or above its price point. It solidifies my appreciation of a company that can build quality into all of its products at all price points and surpass most buyers expectations. I cannot think of any Swiss watch manufacturer that I can say the same for. I am proud to be a Seiko fanboy (can I say how much I hate the word fanboy?)
    Last edited by autofiend; October 28th, 2011 at 01:58.
    Chronopolis likes this.

Well said.

So, bravo, Seiko.
    you make great points, though im pretty sure they make decent profit on all the models, even the low end ones, theres 7 billion people on this planet, sell a million low end models that most people can afford and they should make a good profit to fund their next project and so forth.

Let's see....why do I love Seiko?

#1: I personally like the quirkiness of the 7S26B movement. It's broken me out of the obsession I had about always having the exact time. One of my Seiko with the 7S26B movement runs +18 seconds per day, the other runs +4 seconds per day, and the last one runs -20 seconds per day. While that would drive some people nut, I honestly can't complain for the money I paid. The way I look at it, each of my 3 watches have a different personality....which is more than I can say about other watches I've had.

#2: I like how durable Seiko movements are. It's amazing that they can work 10-15 years without servicing, which is more than I can say about Swiss watches. A Swiss will clunk out on you after 4-5 years, and then it's off for some pretty expensive servicing.

#3: I like having a quality watch for not a lot of money.

#4: It's nice to wear a watch for personal reasons, rather than because someone else might see it and think I have a lot of money (think Rolex.) And it's also a safe alternative too. I've heard too many accounts of people getting robbed (or worse killed) because someone wanted to steal their Rolex or Breitling.

#5: Choice! Seiko has a large variety of automatic watches. Swiss tend to have fewer choices. Variety is the spice of life, and I prefer a lot of spice.

#6: Since they are so affordable, you can always do modding to your watch for a reasonable price. Always a nice option to have.

Ok, that's all I can think of for now.
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

Seiko: high quality, great fit, finish and looks across a number of price ranges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information