2-week old aquis - broken, grumble
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 2-week old aquis - broken, grumble

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2-week old aquis - broken, grumble

About to send my new Aquis over for warranty repair. wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue?

this is the 40mm Aquis, auto wind, obviously.

this morning, i put it one, and once i got to work, noticed it had stopped:(

the auto wind rotor feels like it is "freewheeling", and doesnt charge the watch at all. i can still manually wind it, but the rotor does nothing. feels like there is zero resistance in the rotor, as it sits on my wrist i can feel it freewheeling with any twitch i make.

off for repair i guess.

i've work automatic watches for over 2 decades, and this is the first i've had a problem with. 2 weeks old. sadness.

any similar stories? what to expect, repair or movement replacement? also, this watch was purchased from a popular internet retailer, so it will be repaired by them, not Oris directly, should i be concerned with this?

thanks gang!

Nick

Re: 2-week old aquis - broken, grumble

also, a picture, for fun!

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    also, this watch was purchased from a popular internet retailer, so it will be repaired by them, not Oris directly, should i be concerned with this?
    In a word... "Yes". I wish you luck.

As has been posted many times on WUS, when you purchase Grey Market consider the dollar savings to be your insurance policy. In other words, if somehow goes wrong with the watch, forget about sending it back to the seller (unless they're willing to do a straight-up exchange) and instead send it to the authorized service center and pay for a proper repair with the money you originally saved by buying Grey Market. When you buy GM you're rolling the dice; sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; November 18th, 2015 at 17:51.
    Its-an-addiction likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

On the upside, I have that same trackball ;) .
    Jeff Scott, tzm1, Shagrath and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentYYC View Post
    In a word... "Yes". I wish you luck.

As has been posted many times on WUS, when you purchase Grey Market consider the dollar savings to be your insurance policy. In other words, if somehow goes wrong with the watch, forget about sending it back to the seller (unless they're willing to do a straight-up exchange) and instead send it to the authorized service center and pay for a proper repair with the money you originally saved by buying Grey Market. When you buy GM you're rolling the dice; sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.
    I hear ya!

I'm going to roll the dice again and send it back for aftermarket repair. Best case they will just send me a new one, worse case....well, I'm not going to consider that yet...

fingers crossed. i'll update this thread with my experience along the path...

Best of luck, it's not a complicated movement so hopefully they fix it promptly for you

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    Best of luck, it's not a complicated movement so hopefully they fix it promptly for you
    Thanks, that's what i'm thinking too. Also - the watch actually runs fine if it's manually wound now, so it should be a simple matter of fixing the auto wind mechanism. i have no idea how complicated that might be, but at least the main running gear of the watch appear to be OK.

Sending a watch back for repair to a grey market supplier is often a bit of a lottery - best of luck.

Well, boxed up and sent off for repair. watch is confirmed received at the shop. fingers crossed all goes well. i was told 4-6 weeks for repair. I'm hoping they wind up (watch humor...) just sending me a new one, but we'll see i guess. as mentioned, this is a relatively simple movement, so it could be an easy fix. i'll keep the thread posted with progress.

My understanding is that if your oris was not purchased from an AD, and is in need of parts, you are out of luck!
    Oris will only supply parts to watches bought through an AD. Buying through an AD guarantees authenticity, therefore they would not put authentic parts into a grey market watch. I think this is similar with most quality brand watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information