2nd hand SMP or brand new Oris
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 2nd hand SMP or brand new Oris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2nd hand SMP or brand new Oris

I've opened a similar threat in the Omega forum, but I guess there will be more knowledge about Oris here, so it'll be wiser to hear opinions from this forum as well.
    So, I'm about to buy a watch which will preferably last me a lifetime. Being said that even if I get the Oris, I will still look to get the Omega someday.
    My choices are:
    Omega SMP (Seamaster Professional) - Pure perfection IMO. If I have this, I will look no further for any other watch (unless I get really rich)
    Oris Aquis Date - Equal to the Omega mentioned above, with 2 exceptions - the design, which I consider better on the Omega, and the more important part, the movement. That movement, I really need more details about it. Just how inferior is it next to the Omega's? Is it just a minor difference? Is it less reliable (in terms of longetivity)?
    Being said that I can get either a brand new Oris for about 1280$, or a 2nd hand Omega (like new condition, and recently purchased) for about 2170$. Both prices I can probably bargain with, and get a little lower price.
    My main question for this forum is about the Oris' movement. I really need some more info about it.

Re: 2nd hand SMP or brand new Oris

Get the SMP since you've made it clear that is the one you really want. It also makes financial sense since if you get the Oris, you will still lust after the SMP. Save money, and buy the right one for you, first.
    Toothbras and nigelw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmc View Post
    Get the SMP since you've made it clear that is the one you really want. It also makes financial sense since if you get the Oris, you will still lust after the SMP. Save money, and buy the right one for you, first.
    I went with getting both second hand. Nothing wrong with previously loved time pieces and you get them both :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

marcmc likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRite View Post
    I went with getting both second hand. Nothing wrong with previously loved time pieces and you get them both :)
    Getting them both preowned and within budget is ideal!
    TeeRite likes this.

I personally would get the Aquis in a heartbeat. BUT it's not really the one your heart wants is it? You've already indicated that the Omega is your preference so follow your heart.

Yeah, I do have an uncontrolled pull towards the Omega... More than about any other brand, including the more expensive ones (such as Rolex). Well, an exception is made here for Zenith, but that's very much out of my reach.
    I do consider Omega the perfect incarnation of luxury watches. But still, there is the price that comes with perfection... My problem is, if I try to settle for less, I still lust for the peak.
    I do like very much Oris and their designs, but they aren't Omega. Judging by seeing both Omega watches and Oris watches first hand, Oris do get very close, design wise, to the Omegas. Tbh one thing that disturbed me in the Oris Aquis Date,
    which was the only thing that disturbed me, was the bezel rotation. It just wan't smooth. Aside from that, I did like very much how it looked and felt. Heavy. Tanky. Resistant.
    The factor that attracts me most in just about anything is toughness and longetivity.
    Also I'd like to hear why you'd go for Oris with such confidence. Why would you go for Oris in a heartbeat?
    Last edited by Polipoli; March 1st, 2016 at 23:11.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRite View Post
    Great choice! I have a SMP GMT and its the perfect go anywhere watch. You can pair it with a suit, a t shirt and jeans or jump in the ocean. I wore it while caving and swimming. The blue waves in the dial are just awesome and I'm a sucker for GMT.

TeeRite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Polipoli View Post
    Yeah, I do have an uncontrolled pull towards the Omega... More than about any other brand, including the more expensive ones (such as Rolex). Well, an exception is made here for Zenith, but that's very much out of my reach.
    I do consider Omega the perfect incarnation of luxury watches. But still, there is the price that comes with perfection... My problem is, if I try to settle for less, I still lust for the peak.
    I do like very much Oris and their designs, but they aren't Omega. Judging by seeing both Omega watches and Oris watches first hand, Oris do get very close, design wise, to the Omegas. Tbh one thing that disturbed me in the Oris Aquis Date,
    which was the only thing that disturbed me, was the bezel rotation. It just wan't smooth. Aside from that, I did like very much how it looked and felt. Heavy. Tanky. Resistant.
    The factor that attracts me most in just about anything is toughness and longetivity.
    Also I'd like to hear why you'd go for Oris with such confidence. Why would you go for Oris in a heartbeat?
    I'm actually considering an ORIS. What's your take on the new bronze diver coming out? That may be my next acquisition. Though it will probably be a SEIKO 007 first.

If the Seamaster is CoAxial, I would be drawn in for the movement. If not, I think I'd take the Aquis.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I have an Aquis and will be getting a SMP as soon as funds allow.
    I also have an older Diver Date with ETA and I see no difference in the that and the Sellita movements. In fact the Sellita might be winning the accuracy wars right now.

The SMP question is 1120 or CoAxial. I personally prefer the electric blue anyway.

Why both? Cause if I fall off my bicycle and break my Oris I won't cry. Well, not right aways. If I were to break an Omega, my wallet would break out in tears.
    I take pictures too...
    Oris fanboy:
    Aquis
    Diver Date
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Miles Tonneau Chrono
    Frank Sinatra
    wanted: Jumping Hour, regulateur

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information