65 Leather strap falling apart.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: 65 Leather strap falling apart.

65 Leather strap falling apart.

Is this normal or a known "issue" or weakness with this particular strap for this watch? After about a year of use the strap that came with my 42mm 65 looks very old and very weathered despite minimal usage. There are cracks around the adjustment holes and some of the leather surface has separated from the strap and it just looks faded from the brown color when I first got it.

I wore it maybe 3-5 hours daily for the first month I had it, then rotated it around after the first month using it maybe 3-5 times a month. Really minimal use, driving in my car or in air conditioned venues so I rarely get sweat on it. I have made an effort to keep it in good shape but it looks bad for a strap treated in such a manner. I have had cheap timex leather straps that have held up better than this. Maybe I got a bad one that slipped through their quality control, I don't know if Oris would consider a warranty exchange for something like this.

Re: 65 Leather strap falling apart.

mine fell apart after 3 months.

However, I did get it wet a few times the first week I had it.

You can but try for a warranty claim. Oris may well tell you that it’s “fair wear and tear” but you’ll not know unless you try. I’ve heard in the past of some leather straps not faring well in hot humid climates (don’t know if your weather qualifies as that)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

EHV

I think that some OEM straps are just inferior. A cost saving measure that ultimately causes customer frustration and surely puts us off a brand to a certain degree.

I have a Ball Fireman with an OEM strap that started to shed and crack after two wearings at 3 weeks old. Totally unacceptable as is yours with Oris and as you mention, these watches list at over 1K yet some of the much more affordable brands will give you a decent strap.

I'm sorry for your frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by EHV View Post
    I think that some OEM straps are just inferior. A cost saving measure that ultimately causes customer frustration and surely puts us off a brand to a certain degree.
    When the money men decree that production costs have to be cut guess where those cuts are most easily made?
    EHV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    You can but try for a warranty claim. Oris may well tell you that it’s “fair wear and tear” but you’ll not know unless you try. I’ve heard in the past of some leather straps not faring well in hot humid climates (don’t know if your weather qualifies as that)
    It's hot and dry in my part of the world (not too dry), I tried to minimize contact with humidity by only using it mostly at work and in controlled environments where I don't sweat, not that that's been an issue with me in the past. When I first bought it I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it so I was extra careful.

It's really a shame, I like the look of the green dial with the leather. I doubt they will cover it under the warranty now, but maybe if I had gone sooner who knows.

The strap really isn't that expensive, but I wold not waste money on a second one having had this experience with the first.

Quote Originally Posted by EHV View Post

I have a Ball Fireman with an OEM strap that started to shed and crack after two wearings at 3 weeks old. Totally unacceptable as is yours with Oris and as you mention, these watches list at over 1K yet some of the much more affordable brands will give you a decent strap.

I'm sorry for your frustration.
    Yes, it's not acceptable, even if it were just a quality control issue. It's not just the ruined aesthetic, also the significantly lower resale value and the added expense of having to buy a new strap.

Come to think of it, while looking at some used oris watches online, there do seem to be a few 65's that come with a non oem strap. I'm wondering if those are from owners who bought the same leather strap and feel the ugly, broken down leather straps might not look great to potential buyers.

Just get yourself a nice RIOS1931. i have a few, including one of their shell cordovan straps. they are superb quality, made in Germany. it should last you a couple of years if you treat them right and condition them from time to time.
    time matters, not the watch!

Thread Information