Advise on setting time and winding tips on my new big crown pointer date.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Advise on setting time and winding tips on my new big crown pointer date.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Advise on setting time and winding tips on my new big crown pointer date.

Hi All! After years of longing for automatic watch, looking at the best money for your bucks on various makes, I plumped for a ORIS MENS BIG CROWN POINTER DATE 4Omm in a lovely blue Hume. A beautiful watch in a steel open back case. I got a good price, new at a touch over £1000.
    I have had a look in the manual, and set the watch away,and it has been running fine overnight. A little fast.
    What I would like to know is, when setting the time on the watch, does it matter which way I should set the hands? Clockwise/anti-clockwise? When hand winding if the power reserve runs out, due to lack of use, how many turns should I turn the winder to keep the watch going, at its full capacity? Can I overwind this type of Oris? And finally, I am aware that this watch is not Chrono RATED, as it only has a movement,based on a Sellita 200-1. Any tips about this watch please. How many seconds could I expect it to loose/gain with this movement? Service interval? Thanks Guys!!

Re: Advise on setting time and winding tips on my new big crown pointer date.

I don’t think it matters which way you turn the hands but I always turn them clockwise. When I was 4 an adult told me only ever to move the hands clockwise or I’d break the watch - these things have a habit of staying with you down the years. The official acceptable variance is something like -5/+20 SPD though all my SW200s are well within that range.

Welcome to WUS, and congrats on your new Oris pointer date. I prefer to set the time clockwise, then the date will change(or not) if you pass the 12 and you will know if the watch is in am or pm. I turn the crown a little longer than after the second hand starts moving, then I put the watch on and go about my day. If you would prefer to fully wind the watch, the turn the crown until you hear a louder clicking, and usually the crown is a stiffer. The clicking is the slip mechanism preventing the overwinding.

Enjoy lifes seconds they are not there to worry about. ;)
    Service intervals are generally recommended every 5 years, but I prefer not to fix what isn“t broken.
    Alpina, Ambassadeurs, Frederique Constant, Girard-Perregaux, Glycine, Mido, NORD Zeitmachine, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Seiko, Swatch, Tissot, Tutima, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I honestly never wind. I throw my watch on as I brush my teeth and eventually set it once it is running. SW-200s, like ETA 2824s, are not necessarily meant to be wound and I wouldn't wind them up personally(other than maybe just to start them up).
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001 Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205 Seiko: Tuna SBBN015 Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot Sinn: LE 556i Marathon: JSAR Longines: Conquest V.H.P. G Shock: Too many...

If ever your watch stops about 12 winds will get things moving then let the rotor do the job it gets paid for. If you need to fully wind the watch about 40 winds will do the job. You can’t overwind an auto and you may not hear of feel the indication that Barge mentions.
    I used to be a member of the “if it ain’t bust don’t fix it” club but then saw pics of an Omega that had been left to bust and I changed teams to the regular service mob and finally settled on 7 years.

Thanks all about hand winding. Seems to be a little bit of opinions about hand winding. I was just a little concerned if I should give it a few turns if the watch has stopped. I have a watch winder, which was supplied free when I bought the watch and am unsure if I should pop it on that when it's not on the wrist? I suppose there are a lot of opinions?

Thanks Barge. That has answered my question very eloquently. Do you hand wind your watch if it stops? Or do you have a winder, which I have been given free with the watch. There seems to be conflicting opinions on using a winder. Mind you some people are saying it's not advisable to hand wind a watch at all? Cheers!

I don“t have a winder, I would only get one if I had a perpetual calendar. My most worn watch is a manual winder with a 10 day power reserve, when i wear an auto, I give it a few winds and wear it.
    Alpina, Ambassadeurs, Frederique Constant, Girard-Perregaux, Glycine, Mido, NORD Zeitmachine, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Seiko, Swatch, Tissot, Tutima, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith

A lot of winders live in bedrooms and with the cheaper ones it’s like trying to sleep with a steam engine running and they often get relegated to an out of the way room or the motor in them burns out. Like Barge I don’t own a winder but would consider one to keep difficult to set complications going. Very generally speaking autos aren’t intended to be regularly hand wound like their hand cranked cousins so the hand winding mechanism tends not to be quite as robust.

It’s okay to wind if the watch has stopped just to get it going. Then set the time and enjoy ..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information