Any Big Crown ProPilot Date Owners?
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Any Big Crown ProPilot Date Owners?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any Big Crown ProPilot Date Owners?

I like Oris and have been looking to add one of their watches to my lineup. The two that appeal to me the most are the ProPilot Date (date only, not the day date) and the 65 diver.

It seems like there are a lot of 65 diver owners here and a lot of ProPilot owners that have models other than the date only Big Crown ProPilot model, but that one appeals to me the most due to it's simplicity.

If you do have one, can you perhaps post a wrist shot and also let me know how you've gotten along with it, how accurate the timekeeping has been, things you love and things you maybe don't love, etc? I'd love to hear a snapshot of ownership.

I'm asking because my family is pitching in to gift me a watch to celebrate a major milestone and the budget is around the price of either of the two Oris pieces I'm considering. I've thought to perhaps have them choose one and then I'll purchase the other to add a few Oris pieces to my stable, but whatever they choose I want to make sure it has staying power since it'll be a gift and something I'll keep forever, and the 65 diver isn't that (even though I dig it) so I'm considering pointing them to the Big Crown ProPilot Date.

Other top considerations are an Archimede Pilot (maybe in bronze) or Pilot Chronograph.
    brianfarrell likes this.
    Rolex Submariner 14060M // Rolex Datejust 16013 // Nomos Tangente 38 // Monta Skyquest GMT
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 // Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80
    Hamilton Khaki Automatic 38 // Seiko SKX007J // G-Shock DW5600MS-1

Re: Any Big Crown ProPilot Date Owners?

Quote Originally Posted by joshuagull View Post
    I like Oris and have been looking to add one of their watches to my lineup. The two that appeal to me the most are the ProPilot Date (date only, not the day date) and the 65 diver.

It seems like there are a lot of 65 diver owners here and a lot of ProPilot owners that have models other than the date only Big Crown ProPilot model, but that one appeals to me the most due to it's simplicity.

If you do have one, can you perhaps post a wrist shot and also let me know how you've gotten along with it, how accurate the timekeeping has been, things you love and things you maybe don't love, etc? I'd love to hear a snapshot of ownership.

I'm asking because my family is pitching in to gift me a watch to celebrate a major milestone and the budget is around the price of either of the two Oris pieces I'm considering. I've thought to perhaps have them choose one and then I'll purchase the other to add a few Oris pieces to my stable, but whatever they choose I want to make sure it has staying power since it'll be a gift and something I'll keep forever, and the 65 diver isn't that (even though I dig it) so I'm considering pointing them to the Big Crown ProPilot Date.

Other top considerations are an Archimede Pilot (maybe in bronze) or Pilot Chronograph.

I currently have the ProPilot 111, which I love very much, but this Monday, I'm picking up a gently use, authorized dealer purchased ProPilot date to be a daily wear. I love the ProPilot look and size, but I work in an industrial facility (nuclear power plant) and don't really want to wear my 111 there everyday. I don't know that the auto movement will be more or less accurate than my 111, but 111 is the most accurate watch that I currently own and I expect the ProPilot Date to do just fine. My only complaint, if I had to find something, is that the textile strap is very stiff to start out, but after a week or two of wear, it molds to your wrist and any discomfort disappears. I also like that the textile strap can be precisely sized for your wrist.

There are a lot of other finer details that are hard to pick out in the picture that I love as well. The numerals are nicely raised off the face and look great on an angle, and the lume is bold and bright. Makes for easy reading in any lighting level.

I looked at the Divers 65, and it is a nice watch, but a little on the small side for me, and I felt that the ProPilot could blend into the settings that I find myself better.

I don't think you'll go wrong with the ProPilot line. Here's a shot of my 111. If you haven't made a decision by Monday, I'll post up a shot of my ProPilot Date.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by JustinHEMI; January 9th, 2016 at 05:06.
    Oris Big Crown ProPilot Calibre 111
    Panerai PAM 590

Steinhart Military 42

I went for the Big Crown ProPilot GMT.

Name:  24189413781_ef84c2fa6e_b.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  143.0 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

JustinHEMI, knowing me it'll be weeks before a decision is made and there's no rush on the gift purchase as they're planning on surprising me with it at some random time. I'll be sending them 2-3 choices and why I think each watch is cool and would be useful for me, and they'll pick their favorite that they feel is the best fit for me. My wife has already let it slip that she really likes the ProPilot Date from photos so it looks like the front runner in both mine and my family's books.
    Rolex Submariner 14060M // Rolex Datejust 16013 // Nomos Tangente 38 // Monta Skyquest GMT

I was going to go with the date version and then this GMT version sucked me in!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by OmegaDP; January 9th, 2016 at 22:35.
    Jpfahrstar and cmann_97 like this.

My Pro Pilot Date just came in yesterday, and it's pretty fantastic. Obviously I just got it, so I can't give you any idea of the accuracy, but the fit and finish of the watch are superb. Here's a wrist shot I took last night.

Name:  CAM01015.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  2.13 MB
    cmann_97 and joshuagull like this.

Nice keysh! My concern I suppose is the reserved design, and whether it would ever get boring, but the simplicity and legibility of the dial is a big plus in my book so I doubt it (and I'm a sucker for good/detailed case work like the bezel, crown and caseback turbine twist styling along with the bezel fit below the lug edge). It's certainly a beautiful example of exercised restraint in design, which both appeals to me and worries me if that makes sense.

That's definitely a matter of personal taste. From my perspective, I love the simplicity of the dial. Most of my other watches have more on the dial, and this one is so clean and straight forwarded. One of my biggest check boxes on an every day watch is very high legibility. And with this watch, I've got that. Overall, the biggest draw for me is the hands. I've never seen hands on a watch like this. They remind me so much of the wings of a jet/airplane. Combine that with the bezel and crown, and the watch has a Pam-Am/1960s commercial airline vibe. To answer your question about bezel work, this turbine style might really do it for you. Hope that helps.
    joshuagull likes this.

Name:  689321.jpeg
Views: 1387
Size:  183.0 KB
    ProPilot owner here. Maybe It's just luck, but this is my most accurate watch by far, running consistently at +1/day. The size is perfect, the lume could be better and the second hand is invisible when it gets slightly dark, but I really, really love it.

I love the Big Crown ProPilot series, so much so, that I wouldn't mind adding a ProPilot Date in addition to my ProPilot GMT just for the smaller size and an even simpler dial. However, my biggest gripe with them are their rather lackluster lume. Not a deal breaker by any means but just wish it had a bit more. Otherwise, it's simply a great watch that's quite versatile.

As for it's reserved design getting tiresome, my thoughts and my preferences lead me to wear simpler designs on a more regular basis than "blingy" watches or ones that have a dial that is "overdone". For me, it's the latter type that I end up becoming bored with.
    Spring-Diver likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information