Aquis Hand Winding Not Smooth
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Aquis Hand Winding Not Smooth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JTK

Aquis Hand Winding Not Smooth

I've noticed that when I wind my Aquis, it does not wind smoothly. It almost feels..grainy. Not sure how else to describe it. I'm about to send it in for service due to a tight rotor (2nd time!), and want to know if I should raise this issue (again). The first time it was in for service, they said it was fine, but it definitely does not feel like my other Oris (TT Diver) or Omega PO. Thanks in advance for the input!

Re: Aquis Hand Winding Not Smooth

Hi - Dave here from the service center for Oris USA. When/if you send it in definitely mention the winding action as well as the rotor issue, we look very carefully at every incoming watch and if it's mentioned in your notes, our watchmakers check it. Looking forward to helping you w/this.
    Dave K
    Pallet Spoon likes this.

JTK

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchmaker View Post
    Hi - Dave here from the service center for Oris USA. When/if you send it in definitely mention the winding action as well as the rotor issue, we look very carefully at every incoming watch and if it's mentioned in your notes, our watchmakers check it. Looking forward to helping you w/this.
    Dave K
    Thanks, Dave. Sending your way today!
    TheWatchmaker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yea! Deffo mention it because all my Oris watches feel more or less the same regardless what movement is fitted.

NS1

I'm curious what you mean by "tight rotor." I'm not getting the full power reserve from my Aquis based solely on wearing it (no winding) and am wondering if the rotor is turning as freely as it should or if this is just the way the Aquis is. After wearing for one day (and winding it to start it up), I get 40 hours power reserve. After wearing for three 10 hour days, I tend to get 28 hours power reserve. My only experience is with a Seiko Sumo that gets the full 48 hour power reserve when wearing a full day.

Quote Originally Posted by NS1 View Post
    I'm curious what you mean by "tight rotor." I'm not getting the full power reserve from my Aquis based solely on wearing it (no winding) and am wondering if the rotor is turning as freely as it should or if this is just the way the Aquis is. After wearing for one day (and winding it to start it up), I get 40 hours power reserve. After wearing for three 10 hour days, I tend to get 28 hours power reserve. My only experience is with a Seiko Sumo that gets the full 48 hour power reserve when wearing a full day.
    NS1, what movement is in your watch? I ask because while the SW200-1 of the Aquis Day Date is very good some of the SW220 movements used in the Small Second range aren't so hot at converting wrist movements to power.

NS1

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    NS1, what movement is in your watch? I ask because while the SW200-1 of the Aquis Day Date is very good some of the SW220 movements used in the Small Second range aren't so hot at converting wrist movements to power.

Mine is the regular 43 mm Aquis date, so SW200.

Quote Originally Posted by NS1 View Post
    Mine is the regular 43 mm Aquis date, so SW200.

If I can keep a SW200 well wound with my level of activity then anyone can. Have yours checked out.

The only time I ever wound my 43 Aquis date was when I got it, but it was grainy. So normal?

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

If the watch uses the SW200, which is essentially an ETA 2824 clone (with some slight modifications), then the "grainy" feel of the hand winding is normal. The ETA 2824 is notorious for that "sand in the gears" feel of it's hand winding system.
    By the way, you should severely limit your hand winding of an ETA 2824/SW200. The ETA 2824, while hand windable, was never designed to be hand wound on a regular basis. It is essentially ETA's basic/budget movement, and as a cost cutting feature has brass gears in it's hand winding mechanism. These gears can be severely worn out by constant hand winding. In comparison, other higher quality ETA movements, like the 289X, 7750, and 649X have steel gears, and can be hand wound to your hearts content.
    Sticks83 likes this.
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information