Artix date good value?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Artix date good value?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Artix date good value?

Hi WUS

I'm considering my first proper watch purchase and I have settled on a light coloured dial with centre seconds that can be casual enough for work and dressy enough for the rare occasion I have to suit up.

I am very much taken by the Oris Artix date. I really like the mix of the Arabic numerals and applied markers that give it a somewhat vintage look. I found the 42mm to big and i am hoping to try it in 39mm.

However, when chatting with a watch buddy, he mentioned that the watch is quite pricey for what it is. I can really see his point. I was wondering what other WUSers thought about the value proposition of this watch?

Thanks

JE

Re: Artix date good value?

No valuations done here.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    No valuations done here.
    The OP was not asking anyone to evaluate/put a price on his watch; rather, he was asking if the watch is worth the asking price (i.e. Is the Artix worth the general MSRP for a new watch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jonathan.e likes this.
    Ginault 180260GSLN (Serial #TE111) and Hamilton Khaki Field mechanical

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan.e View Post
    Hi WUS

I'm considering my first proper watch purchase and I have settled on a light coloured dial with centre seconds that can be casual enough for work and dressy enough for the rare occasion I have to suit up.

I am very much taken by the Oris Artix date. I really like the mix of the Arabic numerals and applied markers that give it a somewhat vintage look. I found the 42mm to big and i am hoping to try it in 39mm.

However, when chatting with a watch buddy, he mentioned that the watch is quite pricey for what it is. I can really see his point. I was wondering what other WUSers thought about the value proposition of this watch?

Thanks

JE

It may help if you provided a price range you are finding the Artix at. I just did a quick google search and the Artix seems to fall in line with the Aquis at the gray market online dealers - that being in the $1000 to $1500 price range. It may also help if you elaborated on what your friend meant by his statement.

From what I have seen at the gray market online dealers, the Artix appears to be a better deal than 90% of the other Swiss brands out there. What I mean by that is that it is certainly as good of quality as, say, a Tag Heuer but is less expensive. So, as much as any watch is worth the asking price, and most aren't (they are non-essential purchases and, therefore, luxury items), Oris watches represent an incredible value for a real Swiss watch and a company that has a truly outstanding history.
    jonathan.e likes this.

Thanks Rosborn.

Appreciate that. I'm finding it at 1600 euro from AD and then it's on GM sites for about 1000 dollars, so you've found the price range I've found.

My buddy's suggestion was that 1600 was a lot of money for a sw 200 in what seemed a simple case.

Thanks for your impressions too. They were exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I've been impressed by what I've heard of Oris as a company and I like that they are independent too.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan.e View Post
    Thanks Rosborn.

Appreciate that. I'm finding it at 1600 euro from AD and then it's on GM sites for about 1000 dollars, so you've found the price range I've found.

My buddy's suggestion was that 1600 was a lot of money for a sw 200 in what seemed a simple case.

Thanks for your impressions too. They were exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I've been impressed by what I've heard of Oris as a company and I like that they are independent too.
    Jonathan,

I do understand his comment/concern but the fact of the matter is this - most of the other luxury watch companies also use the SW-200 movement or the ETA-2824, if they are part of the swatch group. In other words, most of the luxury Swiss watch brands, that are not the boutique variety, do not make their own movements - same goes for Sinn, lower level Damasko, Squale, etc. In the end you should get what YOU like, not what someone else likes.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jonathan.e likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    No valuations done here.
    Once again, not true and not at all what is being asked.

Please take the time to re-read the forum rules and also take the time to read what is being asked before posting.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Oris watches aren't cheap but if their dress watches are anything like the quality of my divers they are well worth the money.
    jonathan.e and rosborn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Oris watches aren't cheap but if their dress watches are anything like the quality of my divers they are well worth the money.
    Agreed. I would place Oris and Seiko on par for being incredible bang for your buck watches. I've seen some photos of the Artix and I have to say that it is a beautifully classic timepiece. Very well done. If I were in the market for a dress watch, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing an Artix. But...I'm a dive watch guy and am very happy with my Aquis and MM300.
    jonathan.e likes this.

This has been very instructive for me. I am in the market for an Artix, and knowing the good things people with experience here say, if I end up going that route, it'll be without regret.
    jonathan.e likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information