BC3-ADV Manual winding question

Thread: BC3-ADV Manual winding question

BC3-ADV Manual winding question

Hi All-

Have had this watch a couple of weeks with no issues. Last night I took it off and it stopped at 0400 this morning. (This is actually a lot better than my Omega PO which was stopping every 4 days or so). The manual states to wind it 12 times clockwise but can be wound either direction. I did, gave it a shake and we are off and running.
    My question is that when I unscrew the crown there is very little "pop" to show/feel I'm in position 1. Also when I wind clockwise, there is significant torque required (I'm not sure how to gauge this except that more than any other watch I have had) and when I turn it CCW, there is no friction at all- like it is free wheeling.
    Any ideas anyone? Is this normal ? As this is my first experience with Oris, thought I would ask some of you with more expertise.

If this helps the back has " Oris Swiss 7641-47"

Thanks...

Re: BC3-ADV Manual winding question

Hi Ronin, if you have the new BC3 it will have the Sellita SW220 movement in it so I'm not exactly astounded that it stopped in the night. I found that in normal use my Titan would keep running but on days when I was extra inactive ( I mean nearly torpid) the watch would sometimes stop. I have only wound my watch in a clockwise direction and it requires very little torque. Just taken my Titan off and clockwise the crown winds the watch but CCW a small ratchet comes into play but the resistance is the same. I would be loath to force the BC3 in case I broke something so unless someone on the forum can help you more I would have a watchmaker take a look at it under the theory that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks.... I'm not sure either but I appreciate the reply. I will wait and see if I get more responses and maybe do a little research on a reputable place to have it checked. In case any other members respond and know of anyone around Loveland, CO , please advise.

Thanks for the heads up on the movement. I just tried again and the crown popped right out - CW is fairly stiff but it turns, CCW is no friction/engagement at all. When I wound it this morning, the watch did not take off till I shook it. I wonder if the winding mechanism works at all?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok, I did get this from an AD and a watchmaker...

"Ok so for a good wind you should wind the watch CW 35 times the watch should be turning gears CW but CCW it does nothing but free wheel like a socket set wrench. Your watch has a 42 hr power reserve. But if it runs down for a day and a half you will have to wind it again to give it power if you did not give the watch full-watch a full wind the watch is trying to wind and run at the same time this is like walking in place the watch will not keep good time. Try this and everything should be ok"

If I read correctly there are two questions. 1. When you unscrew the threaded crown it reaches the end of the threads and moves out under spring pressure so there could be a pop as it exits past the thread. A way to minimize thread wear is to keep slight inward pressure as you loosen the crown and until it has cleared the last of the threads. 2. The other question has to do with the lack of pressure felt when turning the crown counter clockwise. That is normal as the winding mechanism is disengaged when the crown is turned in that direction. You are not tightening the mainspring. Turning the crown clockwise will tightem the mainspring. The amount of effort needed varies by movement, winding state of the spring, size of the crown and internal gearing.

It is worth mentioning that the rotor inside the watch will wind the mainspring by turning in either directions.

Hope this helps. Sounds like you have quite an Oris.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Ronin View Post
    Hi All-
    My question is that when I unscrew the crown there is very little "pop" to show/feel I'm in position 1. Also when I wind clockwise, there is significant torque required (I'm not sure how to gauge this except that more than any other watch I have had) and when I turn it CCW, there is no friction at all- like it is free wheeling.
    Any ideas anyone? Is this normal ? As this is my first experience with Oris, thought I would ask some of you with more expertise.

If this helps the back has " Oris Swiss 7641-47"

Thanks...
    I have on my BC3 ADV today and what you describe..little pop...significant torque, no friction CCW...is exactly how mine behaves (I just tried it). Not sure if that helps!
    Breitling, Oris, Chr.Ward, Citizen, Timex, Bulova, Casio, Luminox, Stowa & Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by rd0401 View Post
    I have on my BC3 ADV today and what you describe..little pop...significant torque, no friction CCW...is exactly how mine behaves (I just tried it). Not sure if that helps!
    That helps a ton......Especially for peace of mind. Thanks....

Thread Information