Bezel problem or normal?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bezel problem or normal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RBK

Bezel problem or normal?

Hi guys!

Can you guys that own Oris Aquis please do me a huge favor and check yours to let me know if this bezel "issue" I am having is normal? It's driving me nuts thinking my watch maybe defective. I have a Great Barrier Reef III. This is my first Oris and compared to my other divers, the bezel feels pretty stiff.

I noticed that if I try to turn the bezel while holding the 12 and 6 o'clock with thumb and index finger, and I apply even the slightest down pressure on the 12 as I try to turn, it gets hard or very hard to turn the bezel.

If I turn by holding 2 and 8, 3 and 9, or any other location except the 12 it's fine. It's still stiff, but I think that's normal.

There's no clockwise/backwards play on the bezel so that's good, but there is a slight play up and down with a faint click, on the 12 o'clock part of the bezel when pressed. None in any other position.

I don't know if the bezel has ball bearings, springs or whatever, but I'm thinking maybe at the 12 o'clock by pressing down its dragging against the case and making it hard to turn?

...If that's the case, should downward presses on any part of the bezel cause this problem and not just on the 12???

Thanks for the help!

Re: Bezel problem or normal?

ORIS Aquis Date here (new version)

I do not have the trouble you describe.
    I have a little play in the bezel, which is normal I think.
    Turning the bezel on any position is the same all around.
    Rotation definitely heavier than on some of my other watches. But not concerning, I'd say.

In short, no problems on mine.

If its really bothering you, you can send it back under warranty (if that still applies).
    From your story, I'd say something is wrong. Besides,it's bugging you and that feeling will probably not go away, unless its dealt with.

(Btw, are you who I think you are ? From the dutch Horlogeforum ? :) )

Mine (regular new model black face) turns the same as 12 and 6 as it does in any other "finger position"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My Aquis' bezel gets "stuck" sometimes when the pip is at the 12:00 position for a day or so. Usually happens after wearing it hiking or just being active while wearing it. I wear it in the shower and spin the bezel a few times and everything is fine after that. It's only happened 4 or 5 times and seems better now. Other than that the bezel feel is perfect. If it bothers you it is worth getting it checked out under warranty. Good luck! Joe
    Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
    Abraham Lincoln

It doesn’t sound right. I suspect that it’s nothing major but because it’s bugging you it should be looked at.

RBK

Quote Originally Posted by JoeArizona View Post
    My Aquis' bezel gets "stuck" sometimes when the pip is at the 12:00 position for a day or so. Usually happens after wearing it hiking or just being active while wearing it. I wear it in the shower and spin the bezel a few times and everything is fine after that. It's only happened 4 or 5 times and seems better now. Other than that the bezel feel is perfect. If it bothers you it is worth getting it checked out under warranty. Good luck! Joe
    Interesting you mentioned this, I also noticed that while it is hard to turn when I press on the 12, after I overcome the initial difficulty with subsequent turns its easier and back to normal. After a day or so like you described, its hard again. So I actually ran my watch under warm water and spun the bezel a few times (saved me a shower LOL), and so far knock on wood its been smooth.... I really didn't think a watch that's 4 months old would have dirt under the bezel this quick, but maybe it was? I really hope this problem is fixed now. Will let it sit for a day and give the bezel a turn again and report in here.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Of the small watch collection I have, so far this GBR III was my biggest purchase... I was sort of disappointed by the build quality at first because I noticed a slight "haze" under the crystal inside the watch thats only noticeable under bright light and at an odd angle, but decided to live with it since its not noticeable on a regular glance. When this bezel issue appeared, it really got me thinking i may have a lemon on my hands... hopefully thats not the case.

Some Oris bezels are harder to turn than others and I dont know why. My 43.5 is quite stiff while my 39.5 is kinda smooth. From what I have seen not all the bezels turn the same which is kinda odd.

RBK
    I like to report in with the status... All good! Props to Joe Arizona for his advice on running it through water (or shower in this case)... After that brief run through warm water, and a very gentle scrub around the bezel ring with a soft brush, it's been 48 hrs and it's still perfectly capable of rotating without any stiffness. I am just shocked that 4 months of use can jam up a bezel so quick... I didn't even wear it every day.

Thanks for all those that responded... This is a huge load off. I would have hated to send it for warranty work... Usually warranty work ends up in a new scratch or two coming back from it

I just had the same issue again last Friday after getting home from hiking. The bezel was very difficult to turn and seemed to get "stuck" with the pip at 12:00. Ran warm water over it while turning the bezel and all is fine again. I'm hoping that over time this will stop happening.....I hope......
    Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
    Abraham Lincoln

RBK
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeArizona View Post
    I just had the same issue again last Friday after getting home from hiking. The bezel was very difficult to turn and seemed to get "stuck" with the pip at 12:00. Ran warm water over it while turning the bezel and all is fine again. I'm hoping that over time this will stop happening.....I hope......
    Since this initial cleaning mine hasn't had any issues... Yet. I wonder if the bezel rotation mechanism gets dirty quick?

Can any of u other guys let us know if the bezel getting dirty is frequent?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information