Big crown original why black dial says 25 jewels but white dial says 26?

Thread: Big crown original why black dial says 25 jewels but white dial says 26?

Big crown original why black dial says 25 jewels but white dial says 26?

I am about to buy an oris big crown original pointer date with black dial. However, I noticed it says 25 jewels on the dial while my friend's white dial says 26 jewels. Does anybody know why?

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Big crown original why black dial says 25 jewels but white dial says 26?

I believe that is due to the switch from ETA movements to Selitta. ETA started getting stingy with movements so Oris moved to Selitta. Selitta is basically a copy of the ETA movement but they added an extra jewel.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hohne View Post
    I believe that is due to the switch from ETA movements to Selitta. ETA started getting stingy with movements so Oris moved to Selitta. Selitta is basically a copy of the ETA movement but they added an extra jewel.

Chris
    Yup! I think it's unique in a way.

"Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." - Obi Wan Kenobi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Back in the day Oris fitted 25 jewel ETA movements to watches but when ETA cut of the supply they moved to 26 jewel Sellita movements. Oris had a whole heap of dials that said "25 jewels" on them and for a while they fitted 26 jewel movements in watches that proudly proclaimed that they had 25 jewels in them. So the one that says 25 jewels could be an older watch OR it could be a Sellita movement with a 25 jewel dial fitted.

I've asked some other shops and they said that the two-tone version says 26 jewels on the dial while the white and black dial versions say 25 jewels.

Just a switch of movements. Nothing to fear. Buy with impunity.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information