Big Crown Small Second Pointer Day gaining over a minute

Thread: Big Crown Small Second Pointer Day gaining over a minute

Big Crown Small Second Pointer Day gaining over a minute

Hello all,

I have a Big Crown Small Second Pointer Day that I bought used. It has the Oris 645, which i believe is base ETA 2836-2. I measured it against time.gov on the winder over the past day and it gained a little bit over a minute. Is that enough to determine that it needs to be serviced?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

mark

Re: Big Crown Small Second Pointer Day gaining over a minute

Yes, I would say a minute a day is in need of regulation and/or service. I would bet that watch is out of warranty due to the age of that model. So I would suggest you find a good local watchmaker and have him or her do a clean, lubricate, adjustment on the watch. Cost will probably be $150 or so, but depending on where you are located it may be more.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hohne View Post
    Yes, I would say a minute a day is in need of regulation and/or service. I would bet that watch is out of warranty due to the age of that model. So I would suggest you find a good local watchmaker and have him or her do a clean, lubricate, adjustment on the watch. Cost will probably be $150 or so, but depending on where you are located it may be more.

Chris
    thanks, Chris ... I'm in NJ and I know of a couple good local watchmakers ... I've read about Oris not providing parts to anyone not an authorized service center. Should that be of concern to me when dropping off to a local watchmaker?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Mark, I agree with Chris - it sounds like your watch is in need of a service. Because it is an ETA movement any good watchmaker should be able to service it for you. The only time you would have to send it to an authorised repair centre is if it needed a new bezel, crown or some other part that only Oris can supply. Air any concerns you may have with the watch guy you select.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Hi Mark, I agree with Chris - it sounds like your watch is in need of a service. Because it is an ETA movement any good watchmaker should be able to service it for you. The only time you would have to send it to an authorised repair centre is if it needed a new bezel, crown or some other part that only Oris can supply. Air any concerns you may have with the watch guy you select.
    Great! Thanks a bunch!

Full service would probably be a good idea, but it might be as simple as the movement being magnetized, which is a 20 second fix. How old is the watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Chocodove View Post
    Full service would probably be a good idea, but it might be as simple as the movement being magnetized, which is a 20 second fix. How old is the watch?
    It's definitely not in warranty anymore. I have read about electronics magnetizing watches. I keep my watch winders on my dresser next to a home theater receiver. Can that magnetize them?

Quote Originally Posted by markubig View Post
    It's definitely not in warranty anymore. I have read about electronics magnetizing watches. I keep my watch winders on my dresser next to a home theater receiver. Can that magnetize them?
    Yes - it's possible. I'd move the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markubig View Post
    Def move the case. What kind if winder do you have? There's the potential for a watch to be magnetized by the winder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocodove View Post
    Def move the case. What kind if winder do you have? There's the potential for a watch to be magnetized by the winder as well.
    I have both a Wolf Meridian and Brookstone 4-watch winder. I'm planning on moving them pretty soon. Thanks, guys!

Thread Information