Chronograph Decisions
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Chronograph Decisions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chronograph Decisions

Having whittled the collection down to a few watches, I'm looking to add a chronograph to complete my "ideal 4". Over the last few years of collecting I've learned a lot about what I want/don't want in a watch, and because of these lessons Oris has become my go to for many reasons. I've narrowed it down to two, but am having a lot of trouble trying to decide which to go with.

First, the current collection.

Stowa Marine Original - Dress watch for the few times that require it
    Oris Aquis Clipperton - My everyday wear
    Seiko 2nd gen Orange Monster - Beater for when I'm doing something that might damage the Oris

Pretty happy with those and the Clipperton remains the only watch I've ever owned that I like as much today as when I bought it. Spends time on both the bracelet and rubber strap, half and half.

I like wearing the clipperton on the bracelet at work, but don't like the bracelet at home because of the lack of adjustability. Don't like swapping them every day though, so my solution (see what I did there?) is to add a chrono for my at home GADA watch and leave the Clipperton on the bracelet for every day at work.

I've narrowed it to these two:

Oris Aquis Chronograph

Name:  Aquis-Diver-Chrono-SV.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  204.6 KB

Big Crown Propilot Chronograph, the black face textile strap model shown below

Name:  91PCSjT-YZL._UY445_.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  31.3 KB

Some thoughts on both. There's very little online about either, nothing really comprehensive. I have 8" wrists, so the size isn't an issue. Would prefer something big to be honest, even the clipperton looks a little dinky when I see it on my wrist in a mirror.

Aquis:

• New for about $2400
    • Love the rubber strap
    • For an everyday wear I like good water resistance
    • Seems like more of a "do anything" watch
    • Apparently 19mm thick, which is pretty out there.

Propilot
    • Can find it for around $1700
    • Decent water resistance for a non-diver chrono
    • More strap options
    • Bit different from what I've got already

Anyone with experience with either one of these or has thoughts and wants to chime in would be appreciated. I've been going back and forth for days now.
    Last edited by ofted42; June 30th, 2019 at 06:31.

Re: Chronograph Decisions

Oris has released 3 new Limited Edition Chronographs this year, have you considered those?

If big size is a consideration, then there's the 51mm ProDiver Dive Control, which is certainly a statement piece:

Name:  IMG_1453.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  192.2 KB

Or the retro-inspired Divers 65 Bucherer Blue Edition (also available in regular version):

Name:  IMG_1435.PNG
Views: 70
Size:  723.8 KB

Otherwise there's the Aquis Blue Whale Chronograph:

Name:  IMG_1448.PNG
Views: 73
Size:  573.1 KB

This is limited to 200 pieces though, and only available as part of the Clean Oceans 3 piece Aquis set. That said, I think Oris will do a regular version in a different colour way down the line...

Of the 2 you've highlighted however, I'd go the Aquis as it's simply a beautiful watch and has more presence, in my opinion.

Also, where are those prices from? They seem cheap...

If you want something large then the ProDiver Chrono is the watch for you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

an interesting choice. The Aquis is the watch I prefer and you already know you enjoy the Aquis line as the CLipperton is your favorite watch. But as you said, the Aquis is something you already have in your collection, the Clipperton is even blue as well. Propilot makes more sense for your collection but the Aquis is just a watch I like more.. so I'd have to go with that.

I'm gonna throw this out there too... I know you already want an Oris and I can't blame you one bit.... but the H2O Kalmar Chrono is a superb watch, I enjoy it every bit if not a little more than my Oris Aquis. I bring it up cause you want a chrono and while different the overall design is in the ballpark. Plus you can customize it. Also it can be ordered with a really great rubber strap while still giving you strap flexibility.

this is the version I have but you can choose from other dials, other hands and other bezels

https://www.h2o-watch.com/h2o-uhren/...ograph-15.html

Thanks for the feedback. I have to say, that H2O is very interesting, I'll have to check it out. Definitely leaning toward the Aquis chrono right now, in spite of it being very similar to the Clipperton. I think it may be because of that that I'm leaning that way, after years of flipping watches I'm more aware of what I like and don't like.
    Dark Overlord likes this.

I'd go with the Oris Aquis Chronograph.

I love the blue whale chronograph

While the Aquis chronograph is definitely fantastic, I had some reservations about the price and the size of the thing for everyday wear all the time. Found a great deal on a Propilot chronograph from a member here and it should be arriving tomorrow. I'll have to write up a mini-review when it gets here, very little information or good pics of this watch from what I can find.

good luck I hope you enjoy your new addition!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information