Custom Bracelet
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By ShaggyDog
  • 1 Post By ike2112

Thread: Custom Bracelet

Custom Bracelet

**A disclaimer: my issue isn't with an Oris. But having used the forum search I've seen a couple posters suggest that custom bracelets have been made for Oris models which might solve my problem and to look/post in this forum.**

Hi,

After encouraging then searching for 3yr I finally managed to introduce my wife to slightly finer watches, and bought her a Movado 1881 automatic, specifically model 0606915 (Movado | 1881 Automatic Stainless Steel Bracelet watch with white dial | Movado International).

But the strap doesn't fit! Remove 3 links and it slides up and down her forearm, 4 links out and its tight on the skin.
    We bought from a store (Ernest Jones, we're in the UK) but they weren't overly helpful. Bought at one branch but she wasn't 100% and didn't appreciate the hard sell we were getting but once certain if it we went to another branch to have the links removed. Now they are saying as they filled in the warranty card she can't get a refund. (They also claim they won't remove links until you buy, so how are you ever meant to know it'll fit?!).

What can I do? I presumed half-links were an option, but they checked and Movado don't do them. I asked if there were any other brands that did half-size links that might be similar, even if they looked odd they could be put on the inside of the wrist so not easily noticed.. shop said they didn't really know but wouldn't encourage. Asked about moving the deployment clasp, or changing for a different mechanism, was told that we can't.

Now I don't believe half the above is true. I separately asked the same shop back in March about a Ball watch and later found out what they told me was incorrect so I do not trust their knowledge.
    But what can I do here, does anyone know of a link or half-link that would fit? What about moving or changing the deployment?
    Or is it possible to get something like this custom made so its near identical but sized to fit her wrist?

Some pics attached although they probably don't help much.

Thanks in advance

Re: Custom Bracelet

Contact Movado direct and see what they say. Explain to them that EJ have been very unhelpful in your quest for a resolution hence your contacting them directly.
    ike2112 likes this.

With all due respect something that I've found is that a lot of The staff in these chain high street watch shops really aren't very knowledgeable about things like this. They are just sales people that only seem to know about what is in written in the blurb, they don't seem interested in or open to finding out about things. You should contact Movado first to see if indeed a half link is available, which it may or may not be. Forget about getting a custom bracelet, but are you absolutely certain there is no way to micro-adjust the clasp?
    Can you please post a picture showing the clasp in the open position (as opposed to being closed)?
    Last edited by ShaggyDog; December 14th, 2016 at 17:22.
    ike2112 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyDog View Post
    With all due respect something that I've found is that a lot of The staff in these chain high street watch shops really aren't very knowledgeable about things like this. They are just sales people that only seem to know about what is in written in the blurb, they don't seem interested in or open to finding out about things. You should contact Movado first to see if indeed a half link is available, which it may or may not be. Forget about getting a custom bracelet, but are you absolutely certain there is no way to micro-adjust the clasp?
    Can you please post a picture showing the clasp in the open position (as opposed to being closed)?
    Yes I know, I've often found that myself - I even went to a very snooty exclusive type place with a butler on the door to enquire about Bremont before I bought, and other than the brand's own waffle background story they were clueless. Yet they're lucky if they get 30 people in their store per day, there's no excuse for not learning your products.
    I also can't believe that they are suggesting they won't take a return now, when that was never suggested before. The branch we bought from said it was fine as long as its back in same condition. The second branch is the one that did the link removals, and they're now saying they won't take it back as warranty card is filled in (not by us) and links removed (also not by us)!

Not sure what you are looking for in the pics, so have posted a few below. I really am stuck here as I know nothing about bracelets, all the watches I own are on leather or nato.
    I had hoped custom bracelet was possible, irrespective of cost. I had actually tried to previously buy her an Ebel, Oris, Baume & Mercier... so my budget was higher than this watch price anyway.

Double Post.
    Last edited by ShaggyDog; December 14th, 2016 at 21:16.

I was just looking at the pictures to see how the butterfly clasp section attached to the bracelet, and if there was any way of adjusting that part of it. Have you tried playing around with removing links from both sides to see if there is any way it can fit nicely? Perhaps that something that you'd rather not try now actually if you are still intending to try and return it. I think it's just one of those unfortunate things whereby the watch doesn't seem to have any micro adjustment in the clasp and that your wife's wrist is between sizes, that just one of those unfortunate things that happens. Personally I'd go back to the store you bought it from and ask to speak to the manager themselves and explain the situation, you could even try doing that in both the store you bought it from and the store that adjusted it.

One thing to bear in mind perhaps is always be a little wary of integrated or non standard lug bracelets. If your watch had or has standard lugs then if you get a bracelet that doesn't quite fit you can just take the bracelet off and switch it for a leather strap instead to get a good fit. It's also worth bearing in mind that whilst the bracelet doesn't quite fit now it may well be a little different in the summer for example, I know that many people find that they have to adjust their bracelets in the summer anyway as their wrist is a slightly different size during hot weather. And of course the other thing as well is that we all like to wear our watches a little differently, some tighter or looser than others. I'd try the watch on your wife's wrist again just to make sure that it isn't a case that the bracelet feels a little tight initially but after wearing it for a short period she adjusts to the feel of it and it's in fact ok for her.

By the way seeing as this thread has nothing to do with Oris I wonder if you might be able to get some more advice in the Straps & Bracelets sub-forum instead for example?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyDog View Post
    By the way seeing as this thread has nothing to do with Oris I wonder if you might be able to get some more advice in the Straps & Bracelets sub-forum instead for example?
    Yes I posted there already, no replies. I did my research on the forum using the search first though, and found two older posts with people having similar sort of issues and they were recommended to try the Oris forum as apparently they have non-standard bracelet sizes and people had managed to resolve similar issues in the past.
    Thanks for your responses, I have tried direct to Movado also but I'm not hopeful. Just such a shame, my wife has been unbelievably picky with watches I thought I'd finally cracked it!

Weird non-ideal long shot, but desperate measures and all that... does it fit any better on her other wrist and would she mind terribly if so?

Quote Originally Posted by bipyjamas View Post
    Weird non-ideal long shot, but desperate measures and all that... does it fit any better on her other wrist and would she mind terribly if so?
    Just tried it, seems same.
    To be honest I think its only very slightly too tight, probably not even half a link.

Realistically its just been unbelievably unlucky that the one watch she's finally liked the case, dial, strap etc it doesn't fit.
    Silver lining though is the shop gave a refund, accepting they hadn't explained in advance that it couldn't be returned, hadn't explained it again in advance of removing links, and that their own T&Cs on receipt don't stipulate it.

So the search continues...

Thanks all for taking the time to reply.
    TJ Boogie likes this.

In the era of online shopping, I hope these retail stores understand how deal with customers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information