Elegant solution for "too long" Divers Sixty-Five straps
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BrentYYC

Thread: Elegant solution for "too long" Divers Sixty-Five straps

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Elegant solution for "too long" Divers Sixty-Five straps

It's been mentioned a number of times in different ongoing threads that the Divers Sixty-Five has a very long strap (necessary for authenticity, i.e. putting on over a wet suit with a tang buckle), but that it's too long for a number of people for everyday wear. Personally it doesn't bother me because I find the floating, extra wide, keeper can be positioned where it needs to be. For those you don't want to try to find a shorter Tropic style strap, here's a solution that will work.

There are a number of OEM watchmakers that use an Omega style deployant (the proper deployant style name escapes me at the moment) where the tail of the strap runs along the inside of the strap, directly against the wrist, and therefore doesn't flop about or require a keeper. Oris uses such a deployant on their Chronoris Grand Prix '70 (and possibly others?), but at 18mm it's 2mm too wide to fit properly. Regardless of the incorrect size, I took the clasp off my Chronoris last night and did a test fit to see how it would work with the Sixty-Five and confirmed that it's a good solution to the problem many people have with the long strap. The only issue is sourcing a generic, Omega style, 16mm deployant at an affordable price. I was able to find several providers between $25 (shoddy) to $55 (OEM quality), but every one of them was out of stock on the 16mm size.

In any case, if you ignore the fact the clasp is too wide in these photos, you can see it makes a very nice option for the OEM Tropic strap. This type of deployant requires a very thin and flexible strap for it to fit, and the Tropic strap turns out to be ideal in thickness and flexibility, which also means the long tail isn't noticeably bulky when wearing it this way. You could probably also get the strap to work with a Breitling style deployant, but the pronounced kink that results with the Breitling style is less comfortable, and it doesn't fit as nicely against the wrist. I think I'm going to buy one of the Omega style clasps if I can find it in stock anywhere.

Name:  IMG_20151231b_800x600.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20151231a_800x600.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  70.7 KB
    Last edited by BrentYYC; January 2nd, 2016 at 17:48.
    Dennis Smith and Buchmann69 like this.

Re: Elegant solution for "too long" Divers Sixty-Five straps

Natty idea Brent. Being slim of wrist all my Seiko rubber strap ends stick out like chapel hat pegs and I hit on the idea of shortening one. Let's just say it didn't go well and leave it at that.

Thread Information