First mechanical luxury watch
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First mechanical luxury watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First mechanical luxury watch

Hi i am new to forum. I have been following for some time and lots of great advise to be found here. I have been looking to buy my first luxury swiss mechanical watch for a while now and looking at options. I am drawn to the planet ocean models but out of my price range and seem to be highly priced imho. I have been looking at the Oris brand and have been surprised at the price point they are at for what appears to be high quality. I want something to suit me at over 6ft with 8 1/4 inch wrist size. !ust have screw down crown and sapphire crystal. Something that can be worn anywhere like with casual weekend and to work with long sleeves etc. Dresses up or down type thing. Preferanly with a case size of 44mm to 46mm i suppose. Also if it is not too common where everyone seems to be wearing one. A bit unique would be nice.
    Friends of Oris pointed out the Aquis Titan Chronograph with tungsten bezel and titanium case and bracelet.
    This does look nice on the internet pics i found. I will go have a look at one in an AD here in Perth this week. What are the thoughts from the forum on this piece? It looks in some ways similar to the new planet oceans with grey bezel and black dial. Would this piece be the right choice? What is the quality and finish like? It wil be a long term purchase not looking to trade etc in a few years.
    Regards

Re: First mechanical luxury watch

WestOZ, I'm a very happy Omega Planet Ocean (42mm) owner and also a very happy Oris Aquis owner. I'm new to Oris, but feel that they are a great watch for the money. Since you like the PO, I would suggest you look at the Oris Aquis black dial model. I have the blue one and really like it, but from what you said, I would suggest the black one. Have a look and see what you think. Cheers, Bill P.

Gaopa, thanks for the feedback. i will check that one out with black dial you are referring to the aquis carlos coste limited edition or the aquis titan small seconds which are all 46mm models? I suppose they will all look different on the wrist than on the web. The tungsten and titanium combo is something a bit different. Black is classic look in my opinion which is good to. I was originally looking for something non diver like the TT1 chronograph motorsport model with 45mm case but found out the crown is not screwed down, not keen on that feature lacking for security. However a xl diver is more me i think. I have a few Certina diver styles with black, silver dials quartz though 200m wr and they have been great reliable and take anything. I imsgine that Oris would be equally as reliable. Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, Oris is not a luxury watch.

Well no i guess so but good quality swiss mechanical though :)

WO, at the price point Oris take some beating and IMO they are on par with the more costly POs.
    I have a Small Seconds with the titanium bezel and just love it. A word of warning on the grade 2 Ti that Oris use - despite what people may say to the contrary it's a real scratch magnet.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I view the definition of "luxury" watch as one of degrees. To 99.99% of the population, a watch with a value greater than $1,000 would be considered a luxury watch. I'm just spitballing here, but that price point is roughly 4X the cost of the majority of watches purchased by non-WIS, and it's that sort of ratio that would define luxury for most people. Beyond that price point, luxury is a question of degree as you quickly climb into the price bands of extreme luxury, stupidity, and idiocy (kidding... if you can afford to spend $100K on a watch without blinking, go for it). I also agree with sticky that Oris quality can easily compete against watches that are a tier up on the pecking order (but I also happen to think that 80% of the time higher tier watches are perceived to be in that position simply by virtue of their pricing and not because they are any better quality than something like an Oris).
    Last edited by BrentYYC; December 16th, 2013 at 21:51.

WestOz, I am talking about the Oris Aquis Date. The black dial version is a great looking watch and also a good Swiss watch. The Aquis Date has a 43mm case, but looks/wears bigger. Here is a pic of my blue dial version. When viewing the image of my Oris, just think black! Cheers, Bill P.

Last edited by gaopa; December 15th, 2013 at 21:47.

Gaopa, Thanks that is a nice looking piece. I just visited the AD and had a look and try of a few and they had the Aquis Titan Chronograph with tungsten bezel and titanium. However the beauty was the Carlos Coste Chronograph LE - Cenote Series. model # 01 674 7655 7184-Set. The website make this look black but actually it is more anthracite / greyish in colour. It fits nice and comes with rubber strap and tools in box etc. This is me i think...
    Regards

That Carlos Coste is awesome IMO, get it and enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information