First Oris, maybe a bittersweet purchase...
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First Oris, maybe a bittersweet purchase...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Oris, maybe a bittersweet purchase...

Hey all,

So I have gone and acquired my first Oris, a 43mm Aquis.
    Name:  IMG_2766.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  79.0 KB

I had the bracelet adjusted at the AD, and for whatever reason they didn't have the appropriate sized screwdriver to get the job done. They attempted to grind one down but had no luck and gave it to the watchmaker that they employ. I picked up my watch a couple of hours later and didn't think too much of inspecting the work. After all it was a bracelet sizing. But after a couple of hours I decided to look it over and do some admiring and I immediately saw that they really scored the metal around the screw holes. Also, about 4-5 screw heads are nicely gouged from someones complete lack of finesse. I am going to take it back first chance tomorrow (technically today) and tell the owner that it is unacceptable for anyone to have such sloppy work. Any opinions on what course of action I should ask from the AD? Replacement of the bracelet/swap for another piece/ simple buffing and replacement screws?

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics, unfortunately they don't really show how obvious the scoring is. I'm a realist at this point with all my watches and I expect a good amount of swirls and surface scratches from daily wear, but I don't think this type of careless work is acceptable.
    Name:  IMG_2761.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  81.1 KBName:  IMG_2762.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  76.7 KBName:  IMG_2764.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  76.8 KB

Re: First Oris, maybe a bittersweet purchase...

I would held whoever did the adjustment responsible, so in your case, I'd demand a new watch period. You just got it, they messed it up why would you even need to wait around for a new bracelet. New watch, end of of story. To an horologist, I would expect something such as re-sizing be one of the most basic service you do.
    nigelw likes this.

It doesn't look that bad, but you have every right to demand a new one. If they offer just the bracelet, I'd come back with, "yeah, replace a bracelet when you can't even remove links? No thanks".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If this wasn't so serious I would find the fact that an AD didn't have the correct screwdriver laughable. At the VERY least they should offer you a new bracelet but I see Robotaz's point about them setting about the Aquis with something sharp in their hand. I've had loads of Oris bracelets sized and some of the screw slots get a little damaged. It can't be helped but the key word here is little. Your Aquis is not acceptable IMO and it's up to the AD to correct the mess he made.

I went back to the AD and spoke to the owner who has been my primary contact for all my purchases. I pointed out the problem areas and he was pretty forthcoming. He apologized and put all the blame on the two employees who attempted to adjust the watch with the makeshift screw driver, rather than the watch maker who did the final adjustment. He didn't hesitate to place a new order for me and exchange my current watch. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the service that I received and I'm sure the individual(s) responsible for the screwup are going to be reprimanded for their mistake as the owner seemed genuinely irked.
    s.erickson87 and pesfunk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley83 View Post
    I went back to the AD and spoke to the owner who has been my primary contact for all my purchases. I pointed out the problem areas and he was pretty forthcoming. He apologized and put all the blame on the two employees who attempted to adjust the watch with the makeshift screw driver, rather than the watch maker who did the final adjustment. He didn't hesitate to place a new order for me and exchange my current watch. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the service that I received and I'm sure the individual(s) responsible for the screwup are going to be reprimanded for their mistake as the owner seemed genuinely irked.
    If the employees were pretty nice, I'd feel somewhat guilty but AD in my area, I swear, if you walk in with sweats or shorts(I find it comfy), they look at you like you are not going to buy, these are the employees I dislike very much and would not care less if they were replaced. But like I said earlier, re-sizing should be very basic to a horologist and employees who are not hired as one should just stay away because it is not worth screwing up someone's timepiece. It is a inevitable they(in your case you) will come back and complain.

Glad to hear that the AD sorted you out. Maybe he ought to invest in a decent set of screwdrivers while he's waiting for your new watch to come in.

JEES!!! I even have the right screwdriver to remove screws(I own the same watch)!! The AD did the right thing. Make sure you check it before you leave, if you have them size it for you.

It's great to hear that the AD stepped up and did the right thing. You'll have to wait a bit longer, but it will be worth it. That Oris looks great on your wrist!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Mike's got a good point there. Get the AD to size the bracelet for you then check it before you leave the shop. That way you get a watch that fits you AND a bracelet that's not chewed up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information