First Swiss Watch (Leaning towards Oris Aquis)
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First Swiss Watch (Leaning towards Oris Aquis)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Swiss Watch (Leaning towards Oris Aquis)

Hi guys.

First post so be kind.

So this Christmas I'm in the market for my first 'decent' watch.
    I've always held a level of awe for fine watches but until now I have been quite content staying at the cheaper end of the market. I own a few G Shocks I use for work the most recent being a very nice all singing and dancing Gulfmaster GWN 1000B that I picked up for a steal (£150). However I think this purchase has really ignited my want for something with a little craftsmanship about it.
    I figure I can't go wrong with a Swiss made auto. I'm by no means well off though I have recently secured quite a comfortable salary and am also due a decent tax rebate in the coming months. Everything seems to have fallen into place nicely for me to be able to buy my first automatic watch. Initially I was drawn in by Tag Heuers aggressive marketing and was fairly set on a new model Aquaracer 300m calibre 5. However after lots and lots of research and long nights trawling these very forums I came across the Oris Aquis. The blue on blue model has caught my eye and I'm getting ever closer to pulling the trigger. Not only do I prefer the more masculine look of the watch but the watch is very comparable to the Aquaracer in terms of specs (300m, Auto etc) while being significantly cheaper. So here I am. I will admit I have kind of already set my heart on the Aquis (to the point I'm putting this up on the Oris section knowing some Aquis owner will no doubt twist my arm). I was just very eager to gather a few opinions and would be very happy to consider some alternatives.
    (Perhaps a preowned Omega Seamaster?).

Thanks.

Re: First Swiss Watch (Leaning towards Oris Aquis)

I have an Oris prodiver and I absolutely love it. I think they make an excellent quality watch at a very reasonable price, and I'd put it up against anything else in this price range in terms of quality. I also like that you don't seem them every day. Time to buy the watch immediately!

(Is that enough motivation?)

The Aquis is pretty darn good and whether you opt for the bracelet or rubber you can't go wrong. I don't know about the size you're looking at but don't let the 43mm put you off as the Aquis does wear small. More than 1 bloke has gone for the 40mm option, thinking the 43mm would be too large, and regretted it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I grabbed my Blue 43mm Aquis on bracelet in September and it's barely left my wrist since. I love the blue version - the shade of blue really changes depending on the light from a dark grey through to quite a vivid blue in direct sunlight.
    It's a solid masculine looking watch, but with a high level of finish and quality and rarely looks out of place. The value for money is second to none on the Aquis. No where else can you get a high quality Swiss 300m auto with ceramic bezel with an original design for this kind of price. With a diver it can be hard to produce something original and good looking that doesn't look like some kind of Sub or Seamaster homage, but the Aquis manages masterfully. The date window at 6 looks great with it's colour matched wheel. The bracelet is amazing - I've tried on other more expensive watches and only Rolex & Omega come out on top at x5+ the price.

Honestly you can't go wrong with the Aquis. The only major negative is that it has a proprietary lug design so you can't just pop on any leather or rubber strap that you like. I personally wanted a daily wearer on a bracelet, so I could overlook that fact, however it is a deal-breaker for some people. I could also live without the display case back as the movement is fairly plain looking. Some people don't like the polished side links on the bracelet, but it is easy enough to get them brushed if that is one's preference. Other than that, there are no real negatives to it. It's a great watch.

Having said that, the Aquaracer 300m ceramic in black is a very nice looking watch too, but the price difference is not unsubstantial.
    dsbe90 and Blueboost like this.
    Breitling Navitimer | Omega Speedmaster Professional | Tudor Black Bay | Oris Aquis | Breitling Colt

Thanks guys.

I knew it wouldn't take much to twist my arm. Going to pull the trigger sometime at the end of this month/after payday.

The 43mm will be my option and I'm defiantly going blue on blue. I've read great things about the rubber strap but absolutely love the chunky look of the bracelet of which too I think is of a high quality.

It seems with Oris you get an unparalleled quality for your money.

I'll be sure to post pics of my purchase but in the mean time feel free to post a few of your own to wet my appetite.

Thanks.
    dsbe90 and psbero like this.

I chose Oris Aquis Red as my first mechanical swiss. Awesome building quality. BUT I have regrets, accuracy is disappointing and the crown is tricky. I would go for a pre-owned Oris from a good seller or a a pre owned seamaster 300M

Well I did it. I pulled the trigger on an Oris Aquis blue on blue. Opted for the 43mm on the bracelet. What surprised me most was how when I had the Oris in one hand and a TAG aquaracer in the other the decision was super easy. Discarding the price (Aquis was considerably less) it was the quality feel that swung it for me. I feel the Aquis is very understated but also very unique. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. Thank you all for twisting my arm. I'll post a few low light pics with some better ones to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dsbe90 likes this.

Congrats on a fine choice. Enjoy!!

Name:  11141225_842142659209266_9220037499507923351_n.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  126.7 KB
    dsbe90 likes this.

Congrats! You made a good choice and won't be disappointed. The quality and bang for buck is second to none imo
    I'd post a photo of mine, but my photography skills leave much to be desired lol
    Breitling Navitimer | Omega Speedmaster Professional | Tudor Black Bay | Oris Aquis | Breitling Colt

Congratulations Harry_b_7, enjoy your fruits of labour.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information