First time Oris owner - servicing questions (pics)

Thread: First time Oris owner - servicing questions (pics)

First time Oris owner - servicing questions (pics)

Hi guys. Just received this one-owner Classic XXL Complication ref 581.7506.4061LS with original box, papers, and tag. Movement is cal. 581 base ETA 2688/2671. First owner purchased it new in late 2000 and has never had it serviced. Everything appears to be functioning ok--crown, winding, button pushers for sub dials, etc. Will ascertain accuracy in the coming days, but I want to get the piece serviced so it's in good running order and also to address some cosmetic issues.

This is my first Oris and would be my first time having a watch serviced. Do you recommend I send it to the authorized service center in Stoneham, MA or am I not sacrificing much by going to a local watchmaker? There's a local AWI certified watchmakers in town with 25 years experience. I heard Oris will not release parts to anyone outside their network. Is this true?

Here's some pics of the watch. I'd like to get it polished, especially the bezel that has very noticeable marks. The bottom half of the sapphire crystal also has numerous small marks that are difficult to photograph. What do you guys estimate the cost will be to service and polish assuming no replacement parts are needed? Hoping it doesn't approach what I paid for the watch. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Mark355; August 15th, 2013 at 03:51.

Re: First time Oris owner - servicing questions (pics)

Beautiful watch, I don't know US authorized service centres (I'm in the UK) but only they can get specific Oris parts, however since yours has a lightly modified ETA movement then any competent watchmaker could do the service and polish.

Re: First time Oris owner - servicing questions (pics)

Oris will not supply parts to a non authorised repairer. As Fitzer pointed out, because your watch has a base ETA movement any competent watchmaker should be able to work on it. It's only if you need specific Oris parts that you have to use an authorised repairer. I've no idea what it is likely to cost but ask the watchmaker for a ball park quote so you will know roughly what is involved. If you decide to go ahead with the work you could ask the watchmaker to contact you first if he/she finds anything expensive.

Thread Information