9 47.37%
  • SOL

10 52.63%
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: GBR III vs Source Of Life?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

GBR III vs Source Of Life?

Hello guys!

I'm Stan, 27 year-old guy buying his first luxury watch.

For some time I thought about getting a Tag Heuer Aquaracer in black but then I saw an Oris on a business associate's wrist and fell in love with it.

I started exploring the website of Oris and picked GBR III and Source of Life which is strange for me. I usually pay a lot of attention to tiny details and wouldn't normally buy a blue watch as I like to match my clothes and accessories(as well as socks, underwear etc.) a lot. For example, I mostly wear black, white, some grey and some red accents. My daily watch for the past 5 years has been a Tissot T-Race which is black with white and red accents so it matches 99% of my wardrobe.

I understand none of these Oris watches would be such a good match, but they are so beautiful that I think I might get over my obsession and let my watch be an accent on its own. Plus I'll probably keep wearing the Tissot every now and then.

Which one of those do you think is more versitile?

Here's my biggest issue, in my country there aren't any dealers selling either of the two watches and I would have to buy it online and hope I love it in person.
    On pictures I'm in awe with the color of GBR III. I look at pictures of it on my phone every 20 min. Meanwhile SOL seems to have a more neutral color, again in pictures.

If any of you has one of those, could you send me pictures? I already looked on Google/Pinterest/Instagram but there are very few non-professional photos.

Also, which one is your favorite?

Thanks in advance!

Re: GBR III vs Source Of Life?

Name:  IMG_6751.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  934.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_7223.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  1.34 MB
    yankeexpress and Earl Grey like this.
    IG #roscoe101010

Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE, Oris Aquis Regulateur Der Meistertaucher, Oris Aquis Staghorn LE, Oris Aquis Great Barrier Reef III LE, Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT Titanium, Lum-Tec Bull 42 A20, Lum-Tec Combat B33 GMT, Luminox Atacama Field Day/Date Black, Raymond Weil Tango, Citizen Eco Drive Promaster, Citizen Eco Drive Pro Master Marine Aqualand 200m, Geckota S-01 300 m Auto Dive Watch , Seiko SKX007J1 modded, Seiko 5 Sports "Purple Haze" LE, Citizen Promaster Asia Limited Edition Fugu NY0097-87A, Victorinox INOX Pro Diver, Seiko Prospex "Save The Ocean Great White Shark Edition" Turtle 200M Automatic.

they are both very cool watches, the GBRIII is a teal blue, it is not quite as bright as Oris' pics make it look but it is teal. The Source of Life looks kinda green/blue on the Oris site but it is really a blue/grey.

So while I will pick the GBRIII in your poll (cause I like it better) you may want to consider that the grey hues of the Source of Life may be a little more versatile than the teal of the GBR.
    ljb187 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Brice from our forum has some great pics of the GBR
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f22/my...e-5010131.html

The Rook, again of our forum, with the SOL
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f22/fi...l-4944841.html
    cybercat and br1ce like this.

First, welcome to WUS. Secondly, my vote goes to the Aquis Great Barrier Reef. Why, I like the hint of yellow/gold accent with the bezel and the date wheel.

I love them both! I just had a GBR3 that I traded. The Aqua blue is like no other blue I have ever seen. The concentric date really fits the dial well. I originally wanted to trade it for a SOL but ended up working a trade on a watch I had been wanting for a while. I still would like a SOL, but have since also kind of taken to the Clipperton.

I can’t speak for the SOL because I haven’t seen it in person but I agree with your assessment that it seems to be a bit more toned down... but beautiful in its own right.

Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Little tip though, as we all very well know, the GBR3 has small seconds, while the SOL has center seconds. If you like to look down and see the seconds hand sweeping across your dial you won’t get that with the GBR3. However, the small seconds fits the dial of the GBR3 really well and adds differentiation from the other models.

I will be replacing the GBR3 with another Oris diver... a must have in every collection... you’re on the right track! Best of luck in your pursuit!

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Hager626 View Post
    First, welcome to WUS. Secondly, my vote goes to the Aquis Great Barrier Reef. Why, I like the hint of yellow/gold accent with the bezel and the date wheel.
    The “yellow/gold” accent does add something that really compliments the Aqua blue of the dial. To be specific it is a Coral yellow... a yellow/orange that is more yellow than orange... it’s coral. I believe it is the color of the coral that Oris is helping to preserve on the GBR in Australia. Having had one on the wrist I can say it makes the date more legible than the SOL that has all white date numerals and date wheel.
    NC_Hager626 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stanslavov View Post
    Hello guys!

I'm Stan, 27 year-old guy buying his first luxury watch.

For some time I thought about getting a Tag Heuer Aquaracer in black but then I saw an Oris on a business associate's wrist and fell in love with it.

I started exploring the website of Oris and picked GBR III and Source of Life which is strange for me. I usually pay a lot of attention to tiny details and wouldn't normally buy a blue watch as I like to match my clothes and accessories(as well as socks, underwear etc.) a lot. For example, I mostly wear black, white, some grey and some red accents. My daily watch for the past 5 years has been a Tissot T-Race which is black with white and red accents so it matches 99% of my wardrobe.

I understand none of these Oris watches would be such a good match, but they are so beautiful that I think I might get over my obsession and let my watch be an accent on its own. Plus I'll probably keep wearing the Tissot every now and then.

Which one of those do you think is more versitile?

Here's my biggest issue, in my country there aren't any dealers selling either of the two watches and I would have to buy it online and hope I love it in person.
    On pictures I'm in awe with the color of GBR III. I look at pictures of it on my phone every 20 min. Meanwhile SOL seems to have a more neutral color, again in pictures.

If any of you has one of those, could you send me pictures? I already looked on Google/Pinterest/Instagram but there are very few non-professional photos.

Also, which one is your favorite?

Thanks in advance!
    I am biased, but my vote is for the Source of Life. Neither is more versatile that the other - I mean, they are both divers - but I prefer the tungsten grey bezel of the SOL, and the center seconds to small seconds. Also, understand that the blue of the SOL changes with the light; in warm light, it's more teal; in cold light, it's more steel blue.

Good luck finding one, however. I've had people PM me asking me if I'd consider selling mine.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15500ST.OO.1220ST.02
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

A couple of great watches. Suppose buying them both is out of the question? - thought so. In that case I’d get the GBR.

IG #roscoe101010

Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE, Oris Aquis Regulateur Der Meistertaucher, Oris Aquis Staghorn LE, Oris Aquis Great Barrier Reef III LE, Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT Titanium, Lum-Tec Bull 42 A20, Lum-Tec Combat B33 GMT, Luminox Atacama Field Day/Date Black, Raymond Weil Tango, Citizen Eco Drive Promaster, Citizen Eco Drive Pro Master Marine Aqualand 200m, Geckota S-01 300 m Auto Dive Watch , Seiko SKX007J1 modded, Seiko 5 Sports "Purple Haze" LE, Citizen Promaster Asia Limited Edition Fugu NY0097-87A, Victorinox INOX Pro Diver, Seiko Prospex "Save The Ocean Great White Shark Edition" Turtle 200M Automatic.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information