gouge - fixable?

Thread: gouge - fixable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gouge - fixable?

Hi all, I'm new here.
    This is my trusty BC3 ... sadly i was wearing it while cycling and had a crash and it resulted in a few superficial scratches and 2 deeper gouges just either side of 12 o'clock.

The gouges in particular make me sad everytime i look at my poor watch!
    any thoughts on whether this can be buffed out somehow?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: gouge - fixable?

anything can be buffed out.
    but the edges will no longer be true to the original shape.

You can probably try it your self but I would take it to your local watch store and ask them to buff it out!
    I'll certainly look better and you can wear it proudly as a battle scar.
    It gives the watch a bit of character to!

Roberto

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks guys - who to trust to buff my watch ???
    Not really expecting advice as I live in adelaide, australia - I'm sure you can imagine my anxiety though.

It's not much comfort, but look on the bright side ... If it was a ceramic bezel, it would have cracked completely and you'd have to spend hundreds of dollars to replace it with another ceramic bezel that could crack with another hit in the future. Might not be pretty, but you can still wear and use your watch until that gouge is fixed.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

As Everdying has pointed out you can probably get the marks buffed out but there is a real danger of losing the shape of your BC3 so consider a sort of half way house - get the watch buffed so that the scuffs are polished up but still visible. That way you should retain the form of your bezel and also lessen the impact of the marks. As for who should do it take it to any decent watchmaker or if you're feeling brave there are loads of threads on DIY polishing.

well i took the plunge and left it with a watchmaker today ... should get it back in 2 days he reckons.
    i have realistic expectations - i know it's not going to be the same as it was - it's buffing not magic.

oh well - here's hoping for a good result, I'll post an "after" pic.

Quote Originally Posted by OrisBC3 View Post
    well i took the plunge and left it with a watchmaker today ... should get it back in 2 days he reckons.
    i have realistic expectations - i know it's not going to be the same as it was - it's buffing not magic.

oh well - here's hoping for a good result, I'll post an "after" pic.
    Sorry for the late reply as I see you have already left it for a 'polish'. Watch experts do a laser case repair to fill in gauges like that without having to over polish possibly killing the shape (and resale value) of your prized watch.

Let us know how your watch turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    As Everdying has pointed out you can probably get the marks buffed out but there is a real danger of losing the shape of your BC3 so consider a sort of half way house - get the watch buffed so that the scuffs are polished up but still visible. That way you should retain the form of your bezel and also lessen the impact of the marks. As for who should do it take it to any decent watchmaker or if you're feeling brave there are loads of threads on DIY polishing.
    thanks everyone - well sticky's advice is pretty much what I went for. a big improvement i think, with the marks still just visible.
    finish is now more matt - not sure if it shows clearly in the photo, but i like it - less bling.

btw this site is dangerous - i've got the bug, i got myself a seiko solar diver as a beater to protect my oris from further cycling mishaps ... and i've fallen big time for Ball's 60 seconds II with the white dial and tritium.
    Name:  oris post polish.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  198.4 KB

In hindsight, it would have been A LOT cheaper if you would have bought a brand new Oris BC3 rather than hanging around this site. Now the addiction begins

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information