Heartbroken after learning Oris second time zone is not really GMT...any suggestions?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BrentYYC

Thread: Heartbroken after learning Oris second time zone is not really GMT...any suggestions?

Heartbroken after learning Oris second time zone is not really GMT...any suggestions?

Hi Everyone,

I had my eyes and heart set out on an Oris Rectangular Complication - black dial with black leather clasp.

I loved that watch (and still slightly do), because it had a great face, was rectangle, had a date function, day function and what I thought was a second time zone.

I went to a store to check it out after seeing it online for the past two months. Just wanted to get a feel for it before I ordered it and got it shipped. Finally managed to find a store which had it, and I was shocked to learn that the second time zone is nothing but a replicate of the main time but in 24 hours.

One of the key things I was looking for was a second time zone - i travel quite a bit and would like to have a home time setting.

Does anyone have any more suggestions for what I should get. Still really like Oris - now looking at the Worldtimer and the Miles Worldtimer - although not a big fan of crazy numbers and designs.

I am looking for a watch in the $1,500 range for everyday use - on suits and jeans.

Just to add - i would really like to avoid a chronograph - I don't really see me using it at any point.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. Really love this forum and the input from some great enthusiasts.

Regards

Kenyan Sun
    Last edited by kenyan_sun; August 13th, 2013 at 00:53.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Re: Heartbroken after learning Oris second time zone is not really GMT...any suggestions?

I have an Chronoris Grand Prix Chrono GMT, and it has a proper GMT hand but it might not be the style you're looking for. I love it, though, because of its vintage motor racing styling, and the fact it's slightly smaller than most watches you see these days. It's a limited edition of 1971 watches, but there are still new ones out there that I have seen being discounted lately. The msrp is over $5,000, but I've seen a few lately (new) on the grey market for around $2,200.

Name:  Oris-Chronoris-Grand-Prix-70-Limited-Edition3127_677_7619_41_54_ls_325x511.png
Views: 453
Size:  214.3 KB
    tumbler likes this.

Re: Heartbroken after learning Oris second time zone is not really GMT...any suggestions?

The 24 hour hand can be set independently, so it is a GMT. You use the small pusher below the crown (have to use the tool provided or a toothpick) to set the 24 hour hand. See page 17 of the link to the manual.

http://www.oris.ch/data/4125_pm_en.pdf

Chris

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

According to the Oris website the 24 HR dial is a second timezone and does not just replicate the 12 HR time.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    According to the Oris website the 24 HR dial is a second timezone and does not just replicate the 12 HR time.
    Yes the 24 hour hand on all Oris Complication watches is independently adjustable. In my opinion resetting the 24 hour hand is not as useful as having a 12 hour hand independently resettable. As found on Seiko Perpetual Calendar GMT watches.

Thread Information