Help! total newb looking at Oris Altex Skeleton
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help! total newb looking at Oris Altex Skeleton

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help! total newb looking at Oris Altex Skeleton

Hi everyone,

First post here. Last time I bought a good brand name watch was over a decade ago (Tissot T-Touch) and it served me well. Recently I decided to change it up a bit and went for a Junkers Bauhaus Chrono. However, I think I got bit by the watch collection hobby I use to have and now I'm looking at everything left and right.

I came across the Oris Altex Skeleton and fell in love with it instantly, however I don't think I can dish out 2500 USD right now so I'm thinking of waiting for say 2 to 3 years and then pick it up used. Is this a good idea? And where can I actually find used Oris? I'm really a newb in this stuff.

On a side note, could anyone please tell me a bit about the Oris name brand? two weeks ago I never heard of it. If I understand correctly, it's in the league of Tissot?

Also, I am cross shopping the Rado Diamaster Skeleton. That is more expensive I know, but I am familiar with the Rado name brand and thought it might hold value better hence being a better money purchase. I also saw the Tissot Skeleton but I didn't like it as much as the Oris.

Side side note: I am primarily shopping for mechanical skeletons and I saw the Piaget Altiplano Skeleton... if money was no object, that 60k USD watch would be on my wrist right now. That is the prettiest watch I ever saw in my life.

Re: Help! total newb looking at Oris Altex Skeleton

I think most people would place Oris well above Tissot in the rankings. I find them rather difficult to place as in a lot of areas I would not be afraid to put them in a ring with Omega but their use of non in-house movements means they can't really compete with Omega in that field of combat.
    mpalmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    I think most people would place Oris well above Tissot in the rankings. I find them rather difficult to place as in a lot of areas I would not be afraid to put them in a ring with Omega but their use of non in-house movements means they can't really compete with Omega in that field of combat.
    A more fitting definition for Omega's movement is semi-in-house... They do modify that ETA, but not a lot. Breitling for example are using ETA's too. Both will probably make a better watch than Oris, but certainly not enough to justify the price gap. Back to the thread opener, Breitling/Omega's quality is really not that much higher than Oris, and this says a lot. I've recently bought the Oris Aquis, I really liked how the Atrix skeleton looks but I have a dress watch already so it didn't feet my needs. It will definetly be better than Tissot. I did a huge research before I bought my Aquis. I've went to stores and compared it to TAG, Longines, Rado, Certina, Tissot... In the end, the Oris did feel better. Yes, it is less known by non-watch people, but you pay less for marketing here, which is good (check up TAG Heuer, you pay about 50% only for their huge marketing campaign, and their craftsmanship is rather mediocre). I say if you like how it looks then go for it, you won't regret. I didn't.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forums! Oris is clearly a cut above Tissot in cases, dials, bracelets in my experience. I think Oris is more comparable to Tag mechanicals without the markup, and as Sticky said, movements aside, Oris look and feel really does not compare that unfavorably with Omega...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Interesting, I wasn't aware that Orin was of this high quality. It did feel very high quality in my hand but honestly that was the first time I handled one.

Quote Originally Posted by Polipoli View Post
    I've went to stores and compared it to TAG, Longines, Rado, Certina, Tissot... In the end, the Oris did feel better. Yes, it is less known by non-watch people, but you pay less for marketing here, which is good (check up TAG Heuer, you pay about 50% only for their huge marketing campaign, and their craftsmanship is rather mediocre). I say if you like how it looks then go for it, you won't regret. I didn't.
    Thanks for the bit of information about Oris being lower priced for not being well known yet still being of high grade. That's nice to hear.

If you compared it to Rado, than how does it compare in your opinion? I'm a huge fan of Rado.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    Welcome to the forums! Oris is clearly a cut above Tissot in cases, dials, bracelets in my experience. I think Oris is more comparable to Tag mechanicals without the markup, and as Sticky said, movements aside, Oris look and feel really does not compare that unfavorably with Omega...
    Thanks! I have to admit, this is one of the more quite forums I've ever signed up to. Not that many watch lovers out there I guess.

I guess I learned my lesson about Oris being a cut above Tissot, and I can personally attest to its inherent quality of build. I don't know much about movement but build quality is really something you appreciate in real life. Even my friend who was with me who knew nothing about watches was telling me how impressed she was with the quality of the watches we were checking out and that she can tell the difference in quality between a $500 watch and a $2500 watch.

How does Oris hold its value? and any idea where to shop for it used?

I love Oris. I currently own two, and they are permanent mainstays in my collection. Great brand, great people behind it on all levels.

The Artix skeleton is brand new for 2016 and I personally like it. I'm not a huge skeleton guy, and I do not like the other offerings from Oris. It's design reminds me a bit of the Masterpiece Skeleton from Maurice Lacroix, albeit 1/3 the price.

I own the Divers 65 and I am incredibly impressed. Oris makes a GREAT watch for the money. Probably the best kept secret out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical-Skeleton View Post
    Interesting, I wasn't aware that Orin was of this high quality. It did feel very high quality in my hand but honestly that was the first time I handled one.

No watch under $3000 will retain a lot of value. Maybe a Tudor? Just something you learn the hard way. I have made 5 separate $2,000 mistakes that are now worth a grand total of maybe $5,000. Buy what you absolutely love, and and wear the @$#% out of it. Oris is a great brand to do that with. Only NON-MISTAKE I have made so far in my watch collecting so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical-Skeleton View Post
    Thanks! I have to admit, this is one of the more quite forums I've ever signed up to. Not that many watch lovers out there I guess.

I guess I learned my lesson about Oris being a cut above Tissot, and I can personally attest to its inherent quality of build. I don't know much about movement but build quality is really something you appreciate in real life. Even my friend who was with me who knew nothing about watches was telling me how impressed she was with the quality of the watches we were checking out and that she can tell the difference in quality between a $500 watch and a $2500 watch.

How does Oris hold its value? and any idea where to shop for it used?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information