How often do you service your Oris?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Artblue2004

Thread: How often do you service your Oris?

How often do you service your Oris?

Hey guys,

I've never really had a mechanical watch before. I'm wondering how often Oris watches need to be serviced (particularly Oris Aquis Date)? I realize the manufacturer recommends service every 5 years or so, but is that really necessary?

I understand that Oris watches are of high quality and can last a lifetime. Is that on the condition of regular service? I live in Australia and services can be quite expensive, 500$ or so.

Re: How often do you service your Oris?

It dependS if you follow the “if it ain’t bust, don’t fix it” path or the regular servicing one. I was advised to follow the former but after seeing the innards of a lovely Omega that had been left until it bust I changed horses to the regular service nag and personally espouse a service every 7 years - regardless of how much use a watch gets (even safe queens are included).

Look at it as preventive maintenance, 5 to 7 years.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've had to have my mainspring replaced twice in 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinsteel1 View Post
    I've had to have my mainspring replaced twice in 12 years.
    Wow, that’s pretty bad. which watch & movement?

I have an Artelier date that isn’t keeping time. I purchased it in 2008 and it has already been serviced twice; once by a shop in Portland Oregon that mucked it up (Watchworks....avoid this place at all cost), and most recently by the Watchmaker in 2014. Pretty disappointed that the thing won’t even run past 3-4 years from service. Mine contains the Oris Calibre 733, which I believe is a Sellita SW200-1 with a red rotor.

I have several other (less expensive) mechanical watches that have proven far more durable (numerous Seikos, a couple of Hamiltons and Tissots with ETA movements, none of which have ever been serviced and are still running fine.

I have recently been considering buying a Sinn 556i, but Sinn almost exclusively uses Sellita on their 3 hand watches and my experience with the Artelier has made me seriously question the movement. Maybe I got a lemon? Too bad; I really do love the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Watchbreath likes this.

It's a $200 movement. You ride it til it dies than buy another one online. Just keep the Oris rotor to put on the new one.

Thread Information