I'd love some opinions!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MR028
  • 1 Post By triumphrox

Thread: I'd love some opinions!

I'd love some opinions!

Hello,

Ok, so, here is the deal. I currently have in my collection a Omega Seamaster GMT, Breitling Colt that is very sentimental, & IWC Mark XVII. I love them all but they are taking a beating, mostly at work. Last weekend while doing some lawn work I was wearing my Timex Weekender (38mm) and a thought popped into my head. What if I could find a nice, relatively inexpensive Swiss made watch to wear on a nato strap? Well, I came across what I think might fit the bill. Oris Classic Date is a sort of plain watch, and I like the idea of 37mm more and more for just an easy to wear watch I don't have to think about.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion. I'm also open to other ideas, I don't have a real solid budget in mind. I wanted to stay away from a dive watch and wanted something plain. Oh, and I know there are probably quite a few people that think the 37mm is small, I think it will look just fine on my wrist. That's probably also part of the appeal, going for more of a "classic" watch size.

So, is this a crazy idea or so crazy it just might work?

Re: I'd love some opinions!

First of all, I'm envious that you could throw $1k at something you're going to use for yard work.

If it were me, I'd look at the Big Crown Pro Pilot or similar. Something less dressy looking. Alternatively, the 39mm Longines Hydroconquest would probably stand up to a beating.

Both of those would look great on endless straps, and you might not feel guilty about banging them against the shed accidentally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTO

Compared to your watch collection an oris can be used a beater but save your money and just get a tissot as an entry level Swiss watch. I just find oris too nice to use as a beater (not that you couldn't).

Paycheque Killers: Seiko 'BFK' SKA369/Seiko 'Tuna Monster' SRP637/Seiko 'Flightmaster' SNA411/Tissot PRS516/ORIS Aquis (Green/Grey)
    Where my paycheques have gone to die...
    Seiko 'BFK' - SKA369
    Seiko 'Tuna Monster' - SRP637
    Seiko 'Turtle'
    Oris Aquis Green
    Tissot PRS516 - Blue Dial (non-chrono)
    Etc..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd love some opinions!

Try a Casio G-Shock for a yard work beater. Or even a Vostok Amphibia (under $100). In my opinion an Oris is too nice to wear in this capacity. Be careful though, Vostok's can be addicting (don't ask me how I know).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Oris Classic in the colour and bracelet combination shown, however in 42mm guise for "everyday" wear (while I have slim wrists, I can't do sub 40mm!).

I love it, it works either dressed down on the weekend or can be more dressy for office wear thanks to the bracelet, which is very comfortable.

While I wouldn't wear it for rough stuff, it is nice to have an everyday watch that didn't cost the earth or which attracts undue attention to itself which nevertheless is an automatic, quality item from a well-respected Swiss heritage brand.

I think it makes sense.
    Cliffio likes this.

As a further note, from the Oris website it seems they have released some new versions of the Classic for 2017, with Roman Numeral options. You may want to check them out.

Name:  IMG_0651.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  50.4 KB

38mm Hamilton Khaki auto. You'll thank me later. My work here is done.
    trh77 likes this.

I feel a real cad for suggesting NOT to buy an Oris but:
    1/ IMO that watch is too dressy to wear on a Nato.
    2/ For what you want something like a Tissot would serve just as well.

Let me add a little clarity. I would like it to wear to work mostly. While I would be doing other activites with it, it would most of the time not be abused. Is the consensus that it is too nice to wear? I sort of got the feeling that without the bracelet it wouldn't look quite as much like a dress watch. I also see they make a black dial version, I was shying away from that before I already have 2 black face watches.

I have not looked into the Hamilton Field Khaki but I am aware that they exist :)

I see Tissot being mentioned several times, can anyone recommend one similar to the style of the Oris? Perhaps slightly less dressy, if that is the belief.

Thanks!

JTO

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffio View Post
    Let me add a little clarity. I would like it to wear to work mostly. While I would be doing other activites with it, it would most of the time not be abused. Is the consensus that it is too nice to wear? I sort of got the feeling that without the bracelet it wouldn't look quite as much like a dress watch. I also see they make a black dial version, I was shying away from that before I already have 2 black face watches.

I have not looked into the Hamilton Field Khaki but I am aware that they exist :)

I see Tissot being mentioned several times, can anyone recommend one similar to the style of the Oris? Perhaps slightly less dressy, if that is the belief.

Thanks!
    Tissot Le Locle. It's a Swiss mechanical watch with eta 2824 movement. Sapphire glass and 39mm. Comes in a few combinations for colors such as black dial or rose gold case and black dial too. And probably has one of the most attractive case back windows I've seen on a watch. And it goes for $385 brand new on ebayName:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  102.9 KBName:  tissotT41_1_483_33_1483685934.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  79.3 KB

Paycheque Killers: Seiko 'BFK' SKA369/Seiko 'Tuna Monster' SRP637/Seiko 'Flightmaster' SNA411/Tissot PRS516/ORIS Aquis (Green/Grey)
    Where my paycheques have gone to die...
    Seiko 'BFK' - SKA369
    Seiko 'Tuna Monster' - SRP637
    Seiko 'Turtle'
    Oris Aquis Green
    Tissot PRS516 - Blue Dial (non-chrono)
    Etc..

Thread Information