Just bought my first Oris - an Artelier Big Date - I have a few questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris Hohne

Thread: Just bought my first Oris - an Artelier Big Date - I have a few questions

db1

Thumbs Up Just bought my first Oris - an Artelier Big Date - I have a few questions

Hi mates,

I've just purchased my first Oris, it is an Artelier Big Date (black dial on a leather strap).
    I'm a little excited, i've heard good things about Oris brand over the years, I've heard it's a watch with history and soul - unlike some mainstream brands that every men wears on the street.

I know it has the ETA 2892-A2 movement (with big date and sub second modules on top)

I'd like to ask a few questions, if any of you own this model, or ever handled one:

1. How is the big date is set ? I can only see the crown (no extra pusher for the grande date like on some brands)

2. Can I take a shower or swim with this watch? or I better not ?

3. How good is the movemnt in this watch? does it have any known issue or factory defact ?

4. Does the fact that it's a discontinued model with Cal. 665 movement in it make it higher value ? whats the street value of a 2nd hand one in mint condition?

Any input will be much appreciated !

Many thanks!
    Db1

Re: Just bought my first Oris - an Artelier Big Date - I have a few questions

Hi Db1, chances are that even though it's a discontinued model with a 665 movement in it it's value will be no greater than a current piece in similar condition. Values can not be given on WUS (even if I knew what it was worth) so have a look on Ebay for similar models to get an idea of the market price.

First - welcome to the Oris Forum! Second - Congratulations on your new Oris!

I have an Artelier Big Date, except mine is the silver dial (see below).

To set the date, it is just like most other watches - pull the crown out to position 1 (1st notch) and rotate the crown counterclockwise.

I would not shower or swim with this watch. First, the leather strap wouldn't fare too well. Second, I don't shower or swim with any watch that doesn't have a screw down crown.

The 2892 is a great movement - long history, great reputation, can be worked on by any good watchmaker.

No comment on value per forum rules.

Chris
    johnnycasaba likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

db1

Thank you mates for the replies !

Thanks for the info about the date settings, Probably once i'll have the piece in my hand i'll be able to know better.

Chris, have you ever had an issue with the movement? I've heard stuff such as "stem pulling out too much" and "movement does not hand winding" (it's an auto but as much as i'm aware it can also hand wind?)

The one i've got was bought in 2007 (the seller said), is it a good batch? I've heard the first batch have had the crown issues.

and sorry- I did not know that value is prohibited, now I know :)

No issues with mine. As far as hand winding, no problems. However, the 2892 movement has a winding mechanism that is very quiet. If you wind a 2824 movement, you can hear it winding. With a 2892, you can barely hear it winding - if you hold it up to your ear, you can hear it while you are winding it.

Chris

Thread Information