Local AD Visit: First Oris Impressions & Questions (ProPilot Day Date & Pointer Date, Divers Sixty F

Thread: Local AD Visit: First Oris Impressions & Questions (ProPilot Day Date & Pointer Date, Divers Sixty F

Local AD Visit: First Oris Impressions & Questions (ProPilot Day Date & Pointer Date, Divers Sixty F

Was able to drop by the local AD and check out a ProPilot Day Date, Pointer Date and Divers Sixty Five (they had many other Oris models but those are the only ones I was interested in from an actual purchasing standpoint).

Pointer Date surprised the heck out of me. I expected not to like it based on online photos but it's a beautiful piece with the domed crystal, and the hands and case work lend a nice vintage vibe. I disliked the pointer date hand in photos but loved it in person. Dislike the bracelet option though and didn't personally like the black leather strap either. That watch was begging for a nice brown leather strap IMO. Anyone have one on brown leather that can post a photo?

I liked the ProPilot Day Date look overall but wish they'd had the date only version specifically to see the size (the Pointer gave me a good idea of the size though). Loved the reserved look and the turbine case work. The bracelet and clasp were especially nice. I think the date only ProPilot might be right up my alley.

Divers Sixty Five I'm still torn on. They had one on green canvas and one on tropic strap and they were both really striking. I really like the deep black dial compared to the flat/matte black of the ProPilots and I was surprised the yellow on the dial wasn't more mustard yellow from the way I see it rendered in photos. It was much more muted. I love the look overall but wonder if the design will wear thin after a while. Dug the strong lume and the domed crystal the most. Is the bezel just black painted/coated? If the bezel is scratched does stainless show through or is it black through and through? Has anyone who bought one flipped it yet, and if so, what were your reasons?

Either way, they're all Selitta-based movements and that's not something I've had experience with before. Hand-winding felt good but I have to be honest that the clicks when pulling the crowns out between positions for winding, date setting and time setting were very faint and vague. The crowns also felt pretty flimsy when screwing them back in. This led to a somewhat cheap feeling for an otherwise really nice package. Is that normal for Selitta-based movements and/or for Oris?

Also, I forgot to test it but how's the date change on the Selitta/Oris movements? Is it always right at midnight or does it vary by the piece?

I can see a ProPilot Date in my near future, and maybe a Divers Sixty Five too. Will have to revisit the AD for second impressions soon.
    Rolex Submariner 14060M // Rolex Datejust 16013 // Nomos Tangente 38 // Monta Skyquest GMT
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 // Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80
    Hamilton Khaki Automatic 38 // Seiko SKX007J // G-Shock DW5600MS-1

Re: Local AD Visit: First Oris Impressions & Questions (ProPilot Day Date & Pointer Date, Divers Six

Quote Originally Posted by joshuagull View Post
    ...Also, I forgot to test it but how's the date change on the Selitta/Oris movements? Is it always right at midnight or does it vary by the piece?
    I have a ProPilot Day Date I bough this past Summer. On mine the day/date change is instantaneous but usually around 11:58, not exactly at midnight. No big deal really, as that is certainly not critical for most applications for most of us, I would guess. Other than that, mine runs 8 seconds a day fast very consistently so I know it can be regulated to be just about perfect because of said consistency. I don't know if I have to send the watch to the ORIS authorized shop (The Watchmaker, in Mass.) or if I can use my local guy while the watch is in warranty for doing the regulation?

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by Jeff Scott; January 18th, 2016 at 08:12.

Re: Local AD Visit: First Oris Impressions & Questions (ProPilot Day Date & Pointer Date, Divers Six

The crown issue does vary from piece to piece. The crown on my Titan wobbles fit to bust if I waggle it about. The dates on the Sellita movements will slam over at midnight or near as dammit.

Thread Information