The Metal Bracelet Option on The Oris Diver Sixty-Five
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: The Metal Bracelet Option on The Oris Diver Sixty-Five

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Multiple Forum Sponsor - Topper Fine Jewelers

In addition to the Carl Brashear Limited Edition announced and reviewed last month, Oris has also released a stainless steel bracelet version for our favorite under $2,000 watch of 2015, the Oris Divers Sixty-Five. This post takes a look at this new option.

There are several 1960s design elements in the bracelet, but the piece is more refined and substantial than even the best of 1960s era dive bracelets. In their new bracelet, Oris appears to have successively joined vintage design with modern technology to produce a long sought after option for both current and prospective owners of the popular Divers Sixty-Five.

First, let's talk about the clasp. It features a series of five adjustment positions. This reminds me of the mid-1960s bracelets that featured up to ten adjustment positions. This is a departure from clasps found on modern Oris dive watches, such as their Aquis or ProDiver collections, which typically provide only one such adjustment.

Like the rubber strap, the metal bracelet features a period correct taper. The bracelet measures 20mm at the case lugs and tapers to 14mm at the clasp. Though I am not a vintage bracelet expert by any stretch, these proportions seem similar to vintage pieces like the Omega 1171 (see the photo comparison below). The links on the Divers Sixty-Five bracelet are much flatter and longer than this type of Omega and instead remind me of Rolex Oyster bracelets of the 1960s.

Though it looks like it would weigh about the same as vintage 1960s bracelets, the Divers Sixty-Five bracelet has surprising heft for its dimensions. I'm used to holding bracelets of this era style and having them feel light. As a point of comparison, the Divers Sixty-Five bracelet weighs sixty-four grams while the Omega 1171 weighs a mere forty-one grams. On the wrist, bracelets of this era can also give a sense of imbalance or top heaviness because of the contrasting weight of the watch case. That is not so with the Divers Sixty-Five on bracelet which provides a comfortable and surprisingly balanced fit.

Featuring a brushed finish throughout, this new bracelet sports an attractive yet subdued look. The end links fit perfectly flush to the case and the inner links are thinner than on other Oris dive bracelets. This new offering adds a comfortable all-season option for both new and current owners of the Divers Sixty-Five.

Available in both the standard black dial and the new and "Deauville" blue dial, the Oris Divers Sixty-Five on a bracelet retails for $2,099. The stainless steel bracelet can be purchased separately for $300.

The Oris Divers Sixty-Five on rubber strap (left) and the new stainless steel bracelet (right).

Another view of the Divers Sixty-Five on rubber strap and bracelet.

Note the brushed clasp and long links of the Divers Sixty-Five bracelet.

A look of the clasp and available adjustment positions of the Oris Divers Sixty-Five bracelet.

The end link of the Oris Divers Sixty-Five bracelet fits perfectly to the case.

The taper of the case to the clasp on the Oris Divers Sixty-Five bracelet.

A vintage Omega 1171 bracelet features similar taper with smaller clasp.

View of the long links of the Divers Sixty-Five bracelet.

Inside view of the Divers Sixty-Five stainless steel bracelet and clasp.

A look at the mechanicals of the Divers Sixty-Five clasp.
    Rob Caplan
    Twitter Robattopper
    Topper Fine Jewelers
    1315 Burlingame Ave
    Burlingame Ca 94010
    [email protected]
    www.topperjewelers.com
    Monday-Saturday 10:5:30
    888-730-2221
    650-347-2221
    Watchuseek Sponsor

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Re: The Metal Bracelet Option on The Oris Diver Sixty-Five

You just gave me a great idea. I'm going to try the 1171 bracelet from my '69 Speedmaster on my Sixty-Five and see if it fits.

Are the pins in the bracelet just friction pins?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Multiple Forum Sponsor - Topper Fine Jewelers

Quote Originally Posted by BrentYYC View Post
    You just gave me a great idea. I'm going to try the 1171 bracelet from my '69 Speedmaster on my Sixty-Five and see if it fits.
    Please post pictures if it does.
    Last edited by robattopper; February 12th, 2016 at 23:01.
    Rob Caplan
    Twitter Robattopper
    Topper Fine Jewelers
    1315 Burlingame Ave
    Burlingame Ca 94010
    [email protected]
    www.topperjewelers.com
    Monday-Saturday 10:5:30
    888-730-2221
    650-347-2221
    Watchuseek Sponsor

The game just got real. Love it even more on the bracelet.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by robattopper View Post
    Post pictures if it does.
    Unfortunately the bracelet end pieces are a few microns too wide to squeeze fully between the lugs. I would need to file or grind them very slightly to fit, which I'm not about to do.

While I was looking in my strap box, though, I found a black, Hamilton, canvas Nato with off-white stitching that matches the lume of the Sixty-Five. It looks great.

Name:  IMG_20160212_143834_600x600_edit.jpg
Views: 3789
Size:  97.0 KB
    Last edited by BrentYYC; February 12th, 2016 at 23:01.

Thank you for posting Rob. Does the new bracelet feature a diver extension mechanism?

COZ

Don't care for the taper to 14mm. Took the OEM rubber off my piece because it was too narrow, like the width of the textile straps better.

14 mm width at the clasp?? That's a bit turn-off. But nice review and pictures!

I just placed an order yesterday for the new bracelet, but will have to wait 4 weeks or longer until they are in stock again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current:
    Ω Speedmaster 3570.50, Ω Seamaster 2254.50, ۞ Tudor Submariner 79090, Seiko 6138-8020, ۞ Tudor Black Bay Dark, ♛ Submariner 116610LV, Oris Carl Brashear LE, ♛ GMT Master II 116710BLNR, ♛ GMT Master II 126710BLRO, Ω Seamaster 300 Titanium 233.90.41.21.03.001, Ω Speedmaster - modded with 3570.40 dial & hands, ♛ Sea Dweller 16600.

Gone:
    ♛ Explorer 1 114270; Ω Diver 300 Chrono 213.30.42.40.01.001; Orthos Commander 300; Steinhart Ocean Black DLC; Nezumi Voiture Yellow; Nomos Timeless Club II; NTH Santa Cruz; Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 53; Explorer 1 214270; Sinn 856 S Black; Nezumi Voiture White; Ventus Mori Diver M-1V; Undone Urban"Killy"; Sinn 104 A St Sa; Ω Aqua Terra 2503.33; ♛ Polar Explorer 2 16570; Seiko PADI SRPA21; Seiko SBDC053; Seiko SRPC49J1; Oris Divers 65; Ω Planet Ocean 2209.50; DOXA SUB300T Poseidon, WMT Royal Marine, Spinnaker Bradner SP-5062-05, Baltic Aquascaphe; Oris Divers 65 LE for Hodinkee.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information