My Grail (and a happy coincidence)
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: My Grail (and a happy coincidence)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Grail (and a happy coincidence)

Hello, WUS! First post here, but I think itís only fair that -after years of lurking and learning on the forum- you all get to share in the joy of my grail acquisition. Behold, the Oris 65 that has called to me for so long, yet that somehow evaded me. I probably went through 10 unnecessary watches before I realized I was just kicking the can down the road, which is when I finally decided to pull the trigger.

Name:  oris unboxed (TP).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  131.0 KB

I couldnít be happier with the watch or the purchase. Sheís the only watch Iíve purchased new (from Bobís Watches - a completely 10-star experience throughout) and she has been my faithful daily wear ever since I cracked open the box.

I threw it on a lovely Colareb strap and I can say itís the most pleasing watch that Iíve ever seen, at least for my tastes. It blends my love of black, silver and brown, while also balancing modern and vintage tones nicely.

Name:  Oris 65 CR.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  247.6 KB

Itís a perfect 40mm wide and 11mm thick, and it goes with 99% of anything I wear or do. It gains about 2.5 seconds a day, which puts it in my self-described category as "really" accurate, and Iím very happy with that tolerance at this price range.

But wait, thereís moreÖ.

This is where the story takes a delightful twist. Upon unboxing my prized Oris, I looked over to check the time on the clock my grandfather had placed on his desk in the 70ís while he worked with New York Life. Iíve owned this clock for about ten years and itís one of my most prized possessions.

I was absolutely, completely dumbstruck when I noticed the font and placement of the numbers on the NYL clockís dial. They couldnít be more spot-on with the Oris if I designed it today!

Name:  oris and nyl clock (TP).jpg
Views: 185
Size:  107.3 KB

Iím truly surprised I didnít notice this connection before, but it absolutely made this watch that much more special to me. Iím not a four-figure-watch kinda guy, Iím really not, but this major (to me) purchase was a fantastic decision and Iím just so happy with this phase of my watch journey, and I'm grateful you all let me share the story with the gang

Re: My Grail (and a happy coincidence)

That really is brilliant, the similarity. Watches are more than just telling time. Not only is this a watch you have desired but you have on your wrist a constant reminder of your grandad, what an awesome piece to own.
    CoreyMac likes this.

That was a great read. Congrats on your Oris! The 65 is on my "want" list. Hope you have many happy years with yours.
    CoreyMac likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

big congrats! always feels special when you grab a piece you've wanted for a while. I hope to add a Diver's 65 one day.

I hope you love yours for many years.
    CoreyMac likes this.

Thanks to all for the kind responses! It really is such an amazing bonus that this piece ties in so well with something I value from my grandfather, whom I loved and appreciated very much while he was with us. And I simply can't say enough good about this particular 65. The 11mm thickness is just perfect, and the domed crystal gives it a really great vintage vibe. If you *think* you want one, I highly encourage you to pursue it further. I saved and scrimped my way to my Oris and have no regrets other than not scrimping and saving sooner
    moreland4 likes this.

Welcome to both WUS and the Oris club.
    CoreyMac likes this.

Congratulations on your grail watch. Enjoyed reading your initial impressions of your Oris 65 and the connection of its fonts to your grandfather's clock. I do like the fonts and the overall aesthetics of the Oris 65 Black and the Black & Blue dials, and it could very well be on my "to buy" list down the road.

Enjoy your Oris 65.
    CoreyMac likes this.

Congratulations on your new Oris! A nice watch indeed. Enjoy it to the fullest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CoreyMac likes this.

Congrats on enjoying a great watch. One of my favorites as well.
    CoreyMac and moreland4 like this.
    %99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.

Looking good on that bracelet! This thing is the very definition of a strap monster - love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information