My Latest Acquisition is an ORIS! (For the "Clueless Dad Watch of the Month Club")
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By eudaimonean
  • 1 Post By Snyde

Thread: My Latest Acquisition is an ORIS! (For the "Clueless Dad Watch of the Month Club")

My Latest Acquisition is an ORIS! (For the "Clueless Dad Watch of the Month Club")

Resized the band on my first Oris, a classic date the other night. Looking pretty sharp IMO!

It's actually a smidge large/loose for me, but I actually picked this one up specifically for one of my little projects for 2020: the "Clueless Dad Watch of the Month Club." I'm going to using my dirty watch flipping habits for good by lending all the watches I know I'll flip to my horologically-curious but currently clueless Dad to help him figure out his own taste in timepieces so he can finally acquire a nice one of his own. He's can afford/is interested in picking up a truly high horology piece and has talked about buying one for a while, but doesn't have any idea what to get.

I think the Oris Classic Date is a great first entry for this journey as it's a simple 3-hander with luxury touches like the detailed work on the dial, solid and comfortable metal bracelet with milled clasp, etc. It also makes an excellent contrast with the more vintage pieces from my personal collection I've occasionally loaned him, as it constrasts well even against the five-digit era Rolexes I own - just an average observant person will be able to identify the quality improvements in the modern clasp, end links, etc. I expect this piece will really show how far the standards for watchmaking have come in the past 20-odd years.

Enrollment in the "Clueless Dad Watch of the Month Club" is his Christmas gift and I'll report back with his first impressions once I've given this piece to him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm a dirty flipper:
    My favorite part of this hobby is the journey of experiencing multiple different watches as I flip my way through the horological universe. I'm constantly rotating through pieces, few of which become "keepers" but all of which I'm glad to have owned for a while. I find some things to appreciate about each watch I wear; they each teach me more about my preferences and tastes... >>>
    https://www.instagram.com/chrono.anachronist/

Re: My Latest Acquisition is an ORIS! (For the "Clueless Dad Watch of the Month Club")

I like the bracelet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    evlkoala likes this.

Re: My Latest Acquisition is an ORIS! (For the "Clueless Dad Watch of the Month Club")

It is really nice that you are doing this for your dad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's not really going to cost me that much as I'm pretty confident in my ability to mostly break even on flips. I figure this way I'll be getting more value out of the time each watch spends in my possession as double the number of people will be able to experience wearing it.
    I'm a dirty flipper:
    My favorite part of this hobby is the journey of experiencing multiple different watches as I flip my way through the horological universe. I'm constantly rotating through pieces, few of which become "keepers" but all of which I'm glad to have owned for a while. I find some things to appreciate about each watch I wear; they each teach me more about my preferences and tastes... >>>
    https://www.instagram.com/chrono.anachronist/

Good idea for a present but be prepared not to get the Oris back off pa.

Congrats on finding an Oris Classic Date to spark your Dad's interest in the hobby. Looking forward to your reporting back on your Dad's overall impressions of his Christmas gift.

A great choice for a gift. We all should be so lucky...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Excellent choice and much respect to you.

Thread Information