My second ORIS! :)
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My second ORIS! :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My second ORIS! :)

This watch bug is dangerous to the bank account, good thing I love ORIS otherwise I might have spent some really serious money, as expensive as these are for me, themselves, (I am not in the Rolex, PP, etc. tax bracket ). That's okay, ORIS makes wonderful watches .

When I started down this particular rabbit hole mid June (which is when I got my Big Crown ProPilot Day Date) the very first nice watch I looked at, after checking out mid priced Bulovas/Citizens/Seikos (which ended up putting me on the hunt for a nice, mechanical watch within my budget) was an Artix GT Chronograph. The price was far above my intended budget, but that watch was my introduction to ORIS, which I was only familiar with as a name that was on Williams F1 cars. So I ended up getting the BCPPDD as it was still pricy for me but checked all the boxes, except for the chronograph but I was on the fence as to whether I really needed that feature or not .

For some reason (hmm.........) I decided to go back to the AD the other day and just have a look at the Artix GT Chronograph again (uh huh.........). Well, this time we came to an agreement on a price that I could live with and it came home with me. LOVE THIS WATCH!!! I will try to make some photos over the weekend of it.

One of the things that helped with the price is the research I have done since I started learning about better watches; the strap on this watch is apparently not original to it although it is an ORIS strap. Maybe you more knowledgeable WUSes can help me sort this out. The model ID pegs this watch as this model but the strap on the watch is a croco (embossed) leather strap with an ORIS tang buckle, not the rubber strap this model number would imply. I am fine with the strap on the watch, just curious as to whether this model ever came with it as the AD has no knowledge of it ever having been swapped out, and when I spoke with Christie at ORIS USA (very nice person ) she did not believe that strap was ever offered on the Artix GT Chronograph.

Hopefully, I will not walk into that AD for a while (to help replenish my funds!), but for some strange reason (hmm.........) I keep looking at all kinds of watches on-line. . I have two great watches now, with different kinds of movements (SW220-1, and VJ7750) from two different manufacturers (Sellita, and ETA), so what more could I want, er, need?
    Last edited by Jeff Scott; August 1st, 2015 at 06:17.
    Capt. Haddock likes this.

Re: My second ORIS! :)

Thank goodness my local AD has sold the GT chrono he had in as it was calling my name every time I walked past the shop.
    Anglo Irish likes this.

I was considering the Artix Chronograph (non-GT) as I wasn't sold on the concept of the linear seconds display, but I am getting more used to it and the fact that I don't need to obsess over seconds, in general. There are things I do where having a sweep second hand is very useful, the chronograph will do nicely for that.

Now the really important thing is to figure out which watch is next!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Big Crown ProPilot Day Date is a magnificent watch and I've been eyeing it for a long long time now.

I'm scared I might cave in and pick it up. :)
    Jeff Scott likes this.

Working in a jewelry stores that sold Omega, Tag, Breitling, Rado, (lots of fashion watches) and Oris... Oris is my #1. They really do make watches for real people. Oris also has the best customer service and watch vendors. Omega was terrible, I had customers waiting 4-6 months for their watch to return after a basic cleaning / polish. Tag venders were nice, always giving us tools and great offers on their watches.

Check out YouTube videos on Oris watch factory. it's crazy how you only paid so little for a watch that offers so much.

I just picked up a ProDiver Date. Even if you were to lay out all the watches, money not being an issue, I'd pick Oris. love the history, Oris has always made automatic watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Haddock View Post
    The Big Crown ProPilot Day Date is a magnificent watch and I've been eyeing it for a long long time now.

It is a really great watch; I love the simplicity of it and it is amazingly easy to read at any angle. Perfect for those of us with aging eyes!

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    It is a really great watch; I love the simplicity of it and it is amazingly easy to read at any angle. Perfect for those of us with aging eyes!

Hope this helps.
    Well....I've news

I did go ahead and put a deposit on it. Picking it up in the next few weeks..
    Jeff Scott and RomeoT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Haddock View Post

Ditto. I don't want to want it, but I do!

Let us know Capt. when it shows up. Which strap did you order the watch with?

I love the GT Chrono, almost bought one about 6 months ago (outbid in the last 10 seconds on the Bay!) and tried it on many times at the local AD. Finally scratched my chrono itch with a Sinn 103 St Acrylic. You picked up a great watch, good luck with it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information