And now my thread gets deleted ????? WTF !?!?!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Myrrhman
  • 1 Post By Benno1uk
  • 1 Post By Myrrhman
  • 2 Post By Benno1uk
  • 1 Post By Yukoner1
  • 1 Post By Benno1uk

Thread: And now my thread gets deleted ????? WTF !?!?!

And now my thread gets deleted ????? WTF !?!?!

Why did my question get deleted ??

You can at least explain
    borgsauce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrhman View Post
    Why did my question get deleted ??

You can at least explain
    I don’t know why the threads about the fake Oris Aquis were deleted. Personally I found them interesting and informative. Also it is worrying (as an Oris Aquis owner) that such good fakes exist. One wonders what this might do for the used values of genuine watches in the future. Is there a policy of not discussing fakes on this forum? Surely it’s more interesting than the majority of posts on here.
    Myrrhman likes this.

Re: And now my thread gets deleted ????? WTF !?!?!

Exactly !

I get there's a policy to remove posts that encourage buying fakes. I'm all for deleting those. Even banning the involved accounts.

But discussing fakes. Discussing how to spot one. And discussing where they are sold, to me, I think is valuable information.
    Sebast975 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

After reading about the fakes on here and also viewing the videos on YouTube (search ‘fake Oris Aquis’), I looked on eBay and saw clear fakes exactly the same as in these videos being sold. I notified eBay that they are fake, but of course they didn’t remove the listings. From memory they two watches I saw sold for £882 and £692 (or similar amounts). That’s two people who have been ripped off because they haven’t had the chance to read about these fakes. It’s an important issue that we should be allowed to discuss and highlight on a watch forum.
    Myrrhman and borgsauce like this.

Wellllllllllllll, I can see how the slope is very slippery. Discussing fakes is one thing, but trying to assess what IS a fake and what isn't, is something entirely different. IMO (and strictly IMO), I believe the whole "fakes" paranoia is a bit overblown.

If you're paying $250.00 for an Aquis, then yeah, it's probably a fake.
    If you're buying a watch on eBay from a seller with unknown reputation in the WIS world, without any boxes, tags or paperwork, and the images look like they were taken with a Samsung A680 flip phone, then yeah, it's probably a fake.
    If the serial number doesn't match up on Oris's website, then yeah, it's probably a fake.

There's some really simply tell-tale signs of a fake watch. This covers, what, 90% of the fakes out there ? 95% ? The remainder are the high quality fakes. Those that are significantly harder to verify as legitimate or fake. The problem there is, THOSE ones are of SUCH good "replica" quality that it's very difficult to discern them from the real thing. As well, something that no one wants to talk about - even the REAL THING will have variations between different examples, due to changes in manufacturing process, changes in available materials, etc.

What this all does is scare people, unnecessarily. I'd argue that over 50% of those who are concerned about their watch being a fake, should have nothing to worry about at all, because they have the legitimate item. In fact, I'd place a bet that the number is actually closer to 75%..... If there's one way to dissuade someone from engaging in the WIS community, it's excessive threads about fake watches and how it's "nearly impossible to get away from the fakes". Who would want to become a new watch collector in that kind of environment ? I sure wouldn't.
    Myrrhman likes this.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

Fair points

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner1 View Post
    Wellllllllllllll, I can see how the slope is very slippery. Discussing fakes is one thing, but trying to assess what IS a fake and what isn't, is something entirely different. IMO (and strictly IMO), I believe the whole "fakes" paranoia is a bit overblown.

If you're paying $250.00 for an Aquis, then yeah, it's probably a fake.
    If you're buying a watch on eBay from a seller with unknown reputation in the WIS world, without any boxes, tags or paperwork, and the images look like they were taken with a Samsung A680 flip phone, then yeah, it's probably a fake.
    If the serial number doesn't match up on Oris's website, then yeah, it's probably a fake.

There's some really simply tell-tale signs of a fake watch. This covers, what, 90% of the fakes out there ? 95% ? The remainder are the high quality fakes. Those that are significantly harder to verify as legitimate or fake. The problem there is, THOSE ones are of SUCH good "replica" quality that it's very difficult to discern them from the real thing. As well, something that no one wants to talk about - even the REAL THING will have variations between different examples, due to changes in manufacturing process, changes in available materials, etc.

What this all does is scare people, unnecessarily. I'd argue that over 50% of those who are concerned about their watch being a fake, should have nothing to worry about at all, because they have the legitimate item. In fact, I'd place a bet that the number is actually closer to 75%..... If there's one way to dissuade someone from engaging in the WIS community, it's excessive threads about fake watches and how it's "nearly impossible to get away from the fakes". Who would want to become a new watch collector in that kind of environment ? I sure wouldn't.
    I take your points and they are well made, but it does seem like there is a new batch of VERY good fake Oris Aquis being created and sold (on eBay and elsewhere). There are already 4 in depth video reviews of these on YouTube by people (including Bruce Williams - a well respected YouTuber on the subject of watches). These watches all have the same inconsistencies so are clearly from the same supplier. I think that’s it’s important to discuss this to highlight it to new and existing Oris buyers so they know what to look out for.
    Myrrhman likes this.

Thread Information