Operating Oris Helium Valve

Thread: Operating Oris Helium Valve

Confused Operating Oris Helium Valve

Yeah...yeah...I heard it....most of us probably dont even need to use it...but since I have invested thousands, may as well learn how to use it just in case if someone ask?? and dont want to look dumb??

Anyone know how to operate that thing?? Is this thing supposed to auto release?? or have to be manually released (at least on the Aquis Titan Chrono)?? There is some kind of a button thing?? but cant really press?? or at least nothing seem to happen?? Tried to see the manual, and it mentioned to turn the "crown" on the helium valve?? hmmm, I cant see any crown on it?? or thing that I can turn?? I think the helium valve looks like a button??

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Re: Operating Oris Helium Valve

To answer your question directly, it's an automatic valve so you don't have to do anything with it. To expand on the issue, even it was a manual valve you would probably never need to touch it for the following reason.

Helium release valves are pure marketing baloney. They only serve a purpose if you are living and working at depth for extended periods (days or weeks), in an environment where helium is incorporated into the breathing mix. Over time, due to its very small molecular size, helium will migrate into the watch around the seals and won't be able to escape quickly enough when finally ascending to sea level, thus a release valve is used to bleed off the internal pressure that builds as you ascend. This problem only occurs when saturation diving, never through regular diving. Unless you're an undersea welder working on a deep sea oil rig, doing underwater salvage, etc., and living at depth for extended periods, a He release valve will serve absolutely no purpose at all. It's just something "whizzy" that watchmakers started to incorporate because they thought it would add (useless) value to their dive watches.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; July 9th, 2013 at 16:38.

The He valve on your chrono is fully automatic so the next time you are decompressing in a diving bell you don't have to worry about it. Some of the earlier case designs (pre Aquis) do have a manual He valve which needs to be opened once you enter the decompression bell. Some manufacturers like Omega still fit manual valves but weather the valve is is auto or manual it is about as much use to the normal owner as an astray on a mototbike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    it is about as much use to the normal owner as an ashtray on a motorbike.
    LOLOL.... I love that.

Thanks for the response guys...I have suspected this already....that the watch must be automatic (in term of releasing Helium)

Thread Information