Orange and Yellow Strap - dirt magnets? how to clean...

Thread: Orange and Yellow Strap - dirt magnets? how to clean...

Orange and Yellow Strap - dirt magnets? how to clean...

Hi guys - well as per my other thread I went and added to my Oris collection with the Grey PVD aquis with Orange strap.

Oh man I love it!

Its not my daily and worn actually just a handful of times being a few weeks old - what I have noticed is that the along one edge its starting to get a little black, maybe dirt or sweat?? now its very very slight but concerned me a bit since iv barely worn it.... iv tried just rubbing it to see if it comes off but not really. Should I try soapy water? or just run it under some water?

I figured the yellow strap is possibly the same with attracting dirt so interesting to know what owners do to keep em clean...

thanks

edit: just looked at it in day light and think I was just being paranoid...maybe its the curvature of the band or something buts I cant even take pic of it to show up...lol.

just delete this thread someone.
    Last edited by simba; August 15th, 2015 at 15:19.

Re: Orange and Yellow Strap - dirt magnets? how to clean...

Just as a point of interest I find that a spot of shower gel and a soft toothbrush works wonders on my ProDiver rubber.

This is a legitimate question. I had (have) an orange Hirsch Extreme - quite an expensive rubber strap - that is now no longer wearable because of the dark areas that have built up over time. I understand the expensive Isofrane straps in light colors do the same. Any long-time wearers of the Oris orange straps confirm that they don't get visibly "dirty" over time?

I had a white Zodiac rubber and currently own a JeanRichard white rubber that are spotless, so both scenarios are possible.
    Last edited by Pallet Spoon; September 30th, 2015 at 03:08.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I bought a Seiko Orange Strap for my monster. It too has dirty edges that seems can't be clean. I even use eraser to try to rub it off, but the stubborn stain is still there.

I believe it is the material that is used in the rubber strap. Some materials might be more porous than others. Hence, the more porous the material is the more likely is going to pick up the stain.

I also have the Timex Depth Gauge with neon yellow strap. Guess what, no dirt what so ever. It is like new. However the feel of the strap is smoother than that of Seiko. That leads me to believe is the material. Chances are black rubber strap would have the same problem. But I think when the black rubber strap has dirt, it would show up as grayish color.

I was going to note the same thing dragonrolex... the finish, at least on my black strap seems to be "hard" and "oily" to a point meaning I think it may do a better job of resisting stains .... at least I hope so (when I get my yellow). The ones I have had problems with seem to have a "soft" and "dusty" finish and almost seem to feel more porous. An expensive gamble on my art I suppose but I am hoping Oris got it right.

just to give a bit of an update - seems like it has gotten progressively 'dirty' just at the edge of the band....ran it under water to see if it rubs off but no. previously it was so light i couldnt picture it but now i think its clear.

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    Hi guys - well as per my other thread I went and added to my Oris collection with the Grey PVD aquis with Orange strap.

Oh man I love it!

Its not my daily and worn actually just a handful of times being a few weeks old - what I have noticed is that the along one edge its starting to get a little black, maybe dirt or sweat?? now its very very slight but concerned me a bit since iv barely worn it.... iv tried just rubbing it to see if it comes off but not really. Should I try soapy water? or just run it under some water?

I figured the yellow strap is possibly the same with attracting dirt so interesting to know what owners do to keep em clean...

thanks

edit: just looked at it in day light and think I was just being paranoid...maybe its the curvature of the band or something buts I cant even take pic of it to show up...lol.

just delete this thread someone.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I have found, through trial and error, that spray cleaners for removing shower scum do an outstanding job of breaking down dirt and residue on straps and watch cases. In really tough examples where the residue won't come off to my satisfaction, I will use a household spray cleaner that contains bleach (ex. Fantastik with bleach) because it will not only clean but it will bleach away embedded stains. My caveat is that I have only used products that contain bleach on nylon straps and have never tried them on rubber or silicone, so it would be best to test first on the inside of the strap where it isn't visible.

Edit: I tried Fantastik with bleach tonight on my black rubber Sinn strap (it was getting grey residue buildup along the edges) and it worked great. The strap looks like new.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; January 7th, 2016 at 03:20.

Thread Information