Oris 65 bracelet clasp experience?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Oris 65 bracelet clasp experience?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oris 65 bracelet clasp experience?

I'm considering pulling the trigger on the Oris 65 and I've been into the ADs to actually handle the watch. Whilst I'm impressed with the watch overall I'm not totally convinced by the bracelet and wanted to see if any other owners can give me their experiences.......

The bracelet is quite thin, but I think that is just simply because of my experience to date with much thicker links. What I'm really not sure about is the taper to the clasp; it's quite extreme. Have you gotten used to it? Or did you flip it because of this?

If you have some images of it on the wrist, showing the clasp that would be really helpful!
    Current Rotation: / Oris 65 40mm Diver / Helson Shark Diver 38mm Titanium /

Outgoing: / Squale 30 Atmos GMT "Horizon" /

WPAC Member #01

I just put down the deposit for mine but I chosed the rubber strap version. In my opinion the bracelet tapers too aggressively from 20mm down to 14mm I think. I also couldn't get pass the "step tapering" rather than more conventional gradual tapering of the bracelet links. On top of that there is the issue with how the end links don't sit flush with bracelet links when I was wearing it on my wrist....
    Hornet99 likes this.

Re: Oris 65 bracelet clasp experience?

The bracelet is based on the old riveted Oyster bracelet of Submariners from the early 1960s. Those also had a steep taper down to a thinner clasp. On the Diver Sixty-Five, this bracelet is a perfect match, in keeping with the overall mid-Sixties design aesthetic of the entire watch. If ORIS had gone for a wider bracelet taper, it would have ruined to vintage vibe that is so prevalent with this watch.
    Just my humble opinion.
    rfortson and JonS1967 like this.
    -teeritz-

Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.

My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

tinzer0 on Instagram

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoSage View Post
    I just put down the deposit for mine but I chosed the rubber strap version. In my opinion the bracelet tapers too aggressively from 20mm down to 14mm I think. I also couldn't get pass the "step tapering" rather than more conventional gradual tapering of the bracelet links. On top of that there is the issue with how the end links don't sit flush with bracelet links when I was wearing it on my wrist....
    I can't buy watches that don't come with a bracelet, so I've got to like the 65's or move on. I'd agree that the tapering is quite aggressive and I'm not sure that it would make for a good long-term "friendship"......

WPAC Member #01

Quote Originally Posted by teeritz View Post
    The bracelet is based on the old riveted Oyster bracelet of Submariners from the early 1960s. Those also had a steep taper down to a thinner clasp. On the Diver Sixty-Five, this bracelet is a perfect match, in keeping with the overall mid-Sixties design aesthetic of the entire watch. If ORIS had gone for a wider bracelet taper, it would have ruined to vintage vibe that is so prevalent with this watch.
    Just my humble opinion.
    Sorry, but I disagree entirely..........

.........if they'd wanted to keep the vintage vibe then they'd have kept the diameter the same as the original 65 diver (and wouldn't have done a 42mm version!). If you look at the new tudor BBs they have "riveted" bracelets and still have a reasonable taper that manages to evoke the vintage vibe perfectly well.
    YODAHAWK and Hale color like this.

WPAC Member #01

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet99 View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree entirely..........

.........if they'd wanted to keep the vintage vibe then they'd have kept the diameter the same as the original 65 diver (and wouldn't have done a 42mm version!). If you look at the new tudor BBs they have "riveted" bracelets and still have a reasonable taper that manages to evoke the vintage vibe perfectly well.
    There was no real way that they could have kept the 36mm diameter of the '60s original in this age of oversized wristwatches. In my opinion, 40mm was a gutsy move on their part. The 42mm version was done to appease those folks out there who feel that 40mm is too small. Purely conjecture on my part, you understand.
    Hornet99 and rfortson like this.
    -teeritz-

tinzer0 on Instagram

There was no real way that they could have kept the 36mm diameter of the '60s original in this age of oversized wristwatches. In my opinion, 40mm was a gutsy move on their part. The 42mm version was done to appease those folks out there who feel that 40mm is too small. Purely conjecture on my part, you understand.
    But if they were putting the diameter up a sop to the trend for larger watches then why not "modernise" the bracelet? No reason not to, but you have to admire Oris for doing it and for not being driven to offer a high WR rating than 100m.

WPAC Member #01

The taper wasn't a problem for me. Felt comfortable and didn't look too odd.
    Hornet99 likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet99 View Post
    But if they were putting the diameter up a sop to the trend for larger watches then why not "modernise" the bracelet? No reason not to, but you have to admire Oris for doing it and for not being driven to offer a high WR rating than 100m.
    They could have modernised the crystal, by using a flat sheet of sapphire instead of opting for the raised, Hesalite-looking sapphire crystal, which is a more expensive option. Oris being Oris, they could have gone with mineral crystal, as used on their Big Crown Original models. But they went for the modern option of raised/curved sapphire.
    As for 100m water resistance, it's adequate enough for swimming, snorkelling and recreational diving.
    A more modern looking bracelet would have taken away from what they were trying to achieve with this watch, in my view.
    Okay, I'm gonna be late for work. Cheers!
    Hornet99 likes this.
    -teeritz-

tinzer0 on Instagram

They could have modernised the crystal, by using a flat sheet of sapphire instead of opting for the raised, Hesalite-looking sapphire crystal, which is a more expensive option. Oris being Oris, they could have gone with mineral crystal, as used on their Big Crown Original models. But they went for the modern option of raised/curved sapphire.
    As for 100m water resistance, it's adequate enough for swimming, snorkelling and recreational diving.
    A more modern looking bracelet would have taken away from what they were trying to achieve with this watch, in my view.
    Okay, I'm gonna be late for work. Cheers!
    Totally agree on the WR, no real need for anything more. Enjoy work, I'm off to bed in an hour or two!

WPAC Member #01

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information