Oris Aquis 39.5mm Bezel Tension
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Oris Aquis 39.5mm Bezel Tension

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I purchased an Oris Aquis 39.5 back in March and after a few weeks and comparing it to the 43.5mm Aquis, I realized the bezel was very loose. It had some backplay, which doesnít bother me, but I could spin the bezel with the light touch of a finger. To give an example, Iíd say it took 1/4 of the force to turn the bezel on the 39.5 than it would take to turn the 43.5.

I brought it back to the AD and they shipped it to Oris. Before Oris even received it, they sent me a brand new 39.5. Definitely more tension in the bezel, still a tad of backplay. Probably 1/2 of the force to turn than the 43.5mm now.

I would prefer the bezel to have a bit more tension to make it stiffer to turn as itís still a bit light for my taste.

My question is, can the spring under the bezel be bent ever so slightly to increase that tension? It seems easy enough to pop the bezel off; I just want to make sure that the spring is what stiffens the click.

Anyone have experience tightening a bezel or have thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help

Insta: @RotorBoater
    popop likes this.

Re: Oris Aquis 39.5mm Bezel Tension

Well to save anyone the trouble of running into this, I did it myself and.... will have to send the watch in to Oris to get fixed.

SO, youíll see in the picture below that the bezel has a tension spring within it. I was expecting to find one of those click springs as well, thinking I could bend the tabs on it to make it click a bit better.

Turns out Oris, at least on the 39.5mm model, uses a plunger (seen at 12 oíclock) with a spring under it to make the click. So I think if youíd want to make the click heavier, you would have to unscrew the holder, pull the plunger, pull the spring, stretch the spring, then put it all back in in reverse order.

What I did was tightened the tension on the bezel and snapped it back on. It tightened exactly to what I wanted, but after a few spins, it stopped clicking. I popped the bezel off again (from the same spot over the lugs at 5 oíclock) and I saw that the plunger was stuck down. Iím assuming because I popped the case off from 5 oíclock with leverage, the other side of the bezel pushed down into it around 12 causing it to depress. I also warped the bezel during the process.

I decided to unscrew the cover and see if I could fix what was wrong. Pulled the plunger out, as I pulled the spring out I found that the issue is that the spring snapped in half. I put the plunger in itís place and itís now stuck in the hole because nothing is below it pushing it up, nor is it sticking out enough for me to grab it.

To somewhat unwrap the bezel, I put it on a flat surface, covered in thin microfiber cloth, and put something flat on top of it pressing down. Most of the warp went away.

Snapped the bezel back on and it still turns with the exact tension I want, just bidirectionally since the clicking plunger is stuck down.

Iíll be reaching out to an Oris Service Center now.

If I were to do this again, Iíd pry the bezel up from the 12 oíclock side of the watch rather than the opposite.

Lesson learned...

Side note: I think this watch would look sharp with a steel stationary bezel.

I learned long ago to steer clear of trying to repair anything even remotely delicate. Good luck.
    RotorBoater and catanha like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have the same watch, the same issue, even my coat sleeve will move the bezel, I am sending in to the Oris service center, they said they could bend the spring to tighten it, but I will find out:)
    RotorBoater likes this.

Wow ... first time Iíve seen a newer version with the Bezel off !

You got some DIY guts man

Thanks for sharing, keep us posted on what Oris will say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RotorBoater and tumbler like this.

Hmm. I'm considering an Aquis 39.5. Does anyone have a read on how common this issue is?

Quote Originally Posted by alexiusmeinong View Post
    Hmm. I'm considering an Aquis 39.5. Does anyone have a read on how common this issue is?
    I heard itís a pretty common issue from others who have checked out the watch at ADs or bought online. If it is the case, like someone mentioned above, you can send it to Oris Service to tighten the bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shipped the watch off to the Oris Service center this morning with a full description of how I goofed it up. Hopefully itís not too complicated (or costly) of a repair. Iím expecting a few hundred $ from some other Oris posts Iíve seen who have gotten repairs done there.

Companyís called The Watchmaker. Iíve seen him post on the forum under the same name.

I also asked if he could adjust my movement because itís running -8 to -10 right now and Iíd prefer it run faster than slower.

Iíll keep yíall posted when they contact me and give prices
    dorningarts likes this.

There are special bezel removal tools that lift the bezel all the way round. Prying at a single spot is very risky as you experienced. Good luck, hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix.
    RotorBoater likes this.

UPDATE:

The Watchmaker got back to me with a quote. Not covered under warranty, but at least theyíre going to regulate it, clean it, and pressure test it as part of the service.

Total charge for the service, new pieces, and insured shipping back to me is $318.70

About what I was expecting. More than Iíd like, but still reasonable Iíd say.

Biggest downside is the bezel being on backorder, so it could be another several months before I get it back.

Lesson learned!!

Last edited by RotorBoater; August 1st, 2019 at 14:10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information