Oris Aquis Date
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Oris Aquis Date

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oris Aquis Date

My new (to me) Oris Aquis Date arrived today and it looks like a keeper. Attached are a couple quick (marginal quality) photos with, hopefully, some higher quality photos to follow.

---------- Short Version ----------

Itís the ref. 07 733 7730 4134 Ė 43.5mm w/the black polished dial, case and bracelet. Iím a big fan of Oris, w/two Sixty-Fives but the Aquis has been high on my list for a long time Ė especially since the revised version came out a couple of years ago. And when the 39.5mm version came out I figured that would be about the perfect size for me. Iím also a big fan of blue dials on a dive watch. But I ended up with the 43.5mm size and a black dial - go figure. The fit seems good though as I sort of hoped/expected and I love the black dial. Itís a bit blingy w/all the polish but I really like it and itís not really a tool watch for me anyway.

The Aquis is my:
    1st 300M diver
    3rd Oris
    5th Swiss automatic
    7th Diver
    9th Automatic
    23rd Watch since 2017
    And, by far, the largest case size not including G-Shocks

---------- Long Version Part 1 ----------

Last week, I saw and was watching an Oris Aquis Date on eBay for what looked like could be a very good deal. The description was for the previous 43mm version, 07 733 7653 4154, but the photos were of the current 43.5mm version, 07 733 7730 4154. The watch was shown on a pretty ratty canvas strap though it included the Oris black rubber strap. So I had some misgivings re the seller. Plus, I wasnít sure about the 43.5 size and it probably would not have been the model of my first choice being the matt dial/brushed case version. I was about to let it go but decided to make a last second bid and ending up winning the auction for a pretty good price last Thursday. I had a bit of buyerís remorse but the final price was very good and I figured I could resell it for at least what I paid and maybe even profit a little bit. Most of the remorse though was because I prefer bracelets and this came on the rubber strap. And we all know the price of an Oris bracelet. But then, the following day, the seller cancelled the auction Ė with no explanation. I was a little confused but not really too disappointed.

But it did make we want on Aquis even more. I had been watching another auction, this time the model 7730 4134 w/the polished dial, case and bracelet. In addition, the one came on a bracelet but also included the black rubber strap & buckle along w/the factory tri-tip screwdriver essential for making strap changes. So I ended up winning this one too. It was about $300 more than the previous one but still at what I think was a pretty fair price and especially on the bracelet. The seller was an enthusiast and had good communication and it arrived today in great shape.

---------- Long Version Part 2 ----------

Up until 2015, I had owned only a few watches. These included a high school graduation gift of an Accutron from my father and a more recent gift of a Seiko Quartz from a now former girlfriend. In between were a couple of other Seiko Quartz dress watched, one in titanium, and perhaps others that I donít remember.

In 2015, I wanted a new watch, in part to use while mountain biking. I saw a review of a field style watch on a mtn biking website that I liked and bought one - a Bertucci quartz in titanium. And, as is my MO it seems, I ended up w/a couple more. The original has seen a lot of use Ė at least up until I got the Garmin last year.

In early 2017, I wanted an automatic watch and started searching the web for info. I discovered The Urban Gentry channel on Youtube and learned a lot there. In June, I bought my first automatic - an Orient Ray ii w/the blue dial. I liked this one a lot and I still wear it regularly. Like many new to the hobby, I sort of went nuts after that with over 20 watches in the next couple of years. Most were low to mid-level including a Hamilton, a few Casio G-Shocks, a couple Dan Henrys, an Oceanus, a few very inexpensive Casios and a few others. But my first Oris came only a few weeks after the Orient - an Oris Divers Sixty-Five in 40mm with the original black dial and tropic strap. Itís also still a favorite. But I wanted a bracelet and a new one was a bit too expensive I thought. Instead, I bought another Sixty-Five Ė this time the 42mm model w/the blue dial and on a bracelet. Yeah, man logic. I thought I was set but then a bracelet for the 40mm came up on the secondary market and now I have two Sixty-Fives and both w/bracelets.

About that time I thought I was pretty set but took a liking to the Halios Seaforth. So I got in on the pre-order in early 2018 and received it in October Ė an AbyssBlue/SapphireDiver/NoDate model. While I was waiting for delivery of the AbyssBlue I decided the PastelBlue was the iconic Halios color and found one of those too Ė also with the SapphireDiver bezel but this time w/a date complication. The AbyssBlue is on a Ginault (Rolex copy) bracelet and is/was probably my favorite watch. The PastelBlue is also a fav as itís very playful and a great Summer watch.

After that I pretty much stopped collecting other than a Garmin Fenix 5 early last year along w/an anniversary G-Shock around mid year. This brings me to now. Like many of us that went crazy at first, last year I started to consider slimming the collection down some and perhaps trying to get a more expensive watch Ė the old quality vs. quantity debate. The quality, for me, being a Rolex Ė either a Submariner or an Explorer. At the time, last year, I probably could have come close to the price of an Explorer by selling my collection but that was just before Rolex prices began to jump. Plus, where to start as I really like what I have even if some are not worn much. But now, with the Aquis, I do really think I can slim down the collection regardless of whether or not I get something else. Re the Oris Sixty-Fives I do like both. I like the dial on both but especially the blue on the 42mm but the case is a bit big. So Iím thinking of selling both and maybe replace with one of the newer blue dial version in 40mm. Or not. And I surely could sell one or both of the Seaforths. It would probably be the PastelBlue but I sure like that one a lot. That would get me to a modern diver, a vintage diver, a nice sport watch (Halios even though it has the diver bezel), a nice G-Shock (GW-5000) or two and a nice quartz titanium (Oceanus). I think that could work.

Thanks for bearing w/me as I know itís long and Iím mostly thinking out loud. But I sure like Oris watches. And there may be something like a Pro Pilot in my future. And for a blue dial diver maybe a Squale 59 Atmos. Here we go again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking watch. I have the Matt black Aquis on the brushed strap. It’s nice but your dial looks to have more ‘depth’ to it. I also have a rubber strap and it’s excellent.
    dglsjhan likes this.

Re: Oris Aquis Date

Thanks. I do like the dial. There isn't any sunburst effect to it but just an overall gloss. The rubber strap is very long for me but I do like the on-the-fly micro adjustment. But I expect it to be on the bracelet sooner than later. And, of course, the bracelet is polished on the outer links to match the lugs. I think I'll like it.

In the first photo I had the flash (iPhone) turned on and it messed it up. And in the second I had a big shadow of the iPhone. Will do better next time :)

Quote Originally Posted by Benno1uk View Post
    Nice looking watch. I have the Matt black Aquis on the brushed strap. It’s nice but your dial looks to have more ‘depth’ to it. I also have a rubber strap and it’s excellent.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Going forward I hope you and your Aquis are very happy together - it’s a fine watch.
    dglsjhan likes this.

Great backstory...great watch. Thanks. Enjoy!!!
    Joe
    dglsjhan likes this.
    Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
    Abraham Lincoln

Congrats on your new watch....SS Bracelet makes it more macho!!
    dglsjhan likes this.

A day later - 24 hrs in.

NC_Hager626 and jamsie like this.

Congrats on winning the auction - it is a stunning watch. And thanks for providing your narrative as to how you arrived with your Oris Aquis Date. Enjoy your "new" diver.

2 days in - playing around w/a macro lens.

NC_Hager626 likes this.

Awesome ! Love when there's a good story behind purchases as well, just adds to the fun of a new timepiece.

+1 for getting a stainless steel bracelet (I pretty much only wear bracelets at this point).
    dglsjhan and ddub2306 like this.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information