Oris Aquis Date

Thread: Oris Aquis Date

Oris Aquis Date

Hello Everybody, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I bought my first automatic watch which is a Oris Aquis Date. I have a number of questions regarding the watch? I use the watch only on weekends, so it runs out of its reserve power and I have to manually wind it every time I wear it.. My questions are

Is it okay to leave the watch without a reserve power?
    Is it okay to manually wind it every time i wear?
    If it shouldn't be left without its reserve power then should I use a winder?
    If I should use a winder, can any winder serve the purpose? If not why?
    Is there a way I could simply you know rotate the watch or something and make the rotor wind?

Thanks.
    Last edited by serious_sam; June 29th, 2013 at 05:25.

Re: Oris Aquis Date

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Oris.

It is OK to let the watch wind down. I have several watches and all but the one I am wearing at the time are sitting unwound (so to speak) in the safe.

It is OK to manually wind/set the watch each time you wear it - however, some will say you could prematurely wear out the stem threads and gaskets doing that. But if it is only once a week or so, that shouldn't be a problem.

You will hear both pros and cons to winder - some say it keeps the oils circulating, some say it wears out the movement quicker. However, newer oils are much better about staying on the parts and having a winder is no different than wearing a watch everyday like you would do if you only had one watch. So either way you want to go is fine. If you do a winder, I would suggest you spend a little more and get a good one. One that is programmable so you can set it to proper rotation direction, rotations per day, etc. If you go the ETA website or the Orbita website, they have a list of watch movements with direction and suggest rotations per day.

You can "swirl" the watch in your hand to get the movement started. This causes the rotor to spin and wind the watch. I have some Seiko automatics where that is the only way to "wind" the watch. I usually swirl all my watches every couple of months just be sure all the watch movements get some running time even if they haven't been worn.

Chris

Thanks a lot... The answers are simple, informative and unbiased.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Sam, what Chris says 100%. You will see lots of pros and cons for winders. Some folks say that it keeps the oil moving while others say that modern oils don't need to be kept in motion and winders only wear the watch out faster. Whether you choose one or not Chris's advice is spot on.

Thread Information